Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I had some free time at work and I decided to machine me a fancy shackle mount. Thought I show everyone how I did it. First I cut off about 4" of 2.25" cold rolled roundbar.

Then drill a center on the lathe-

Now I can "face" the end and chamfer the edge for more weld surface area-

And true up the circumference on the end-

Time to set up the mill. First I used a 3/4 ball nose end mill followed by a regular end mill to finish the flat area-

After repeating the same thing on the other side it's back to the lathe to taper the end-

Now we have this-

Now after some cleanup I can drill a 7/8" hole for the shackle pin-

That pretty well wraps it up. I'm planning a front bumper mod that will give me a good place to weld this mount. Stay tuned

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I had some free time at work and I decided to machine me a fancy shackle mount. Thought I show everyone how I did it. First I cut off about 4" of 2.25" cold rolled roundbar.
View attachment 24170

Then drill a center on the lathe-
View attachment 24171

View attachment 24172

Now I can "face" the end and chamfer the edge for more weld surface area-
View attachment 24173

And true up the circumference on the end-
View attachment 24174

Time to set up the mill. First I used a 3/4 ball nose end mill followed by a regular end mill to finish the flat area-
View attachment 24176
View attachment 24177

After repeating the same thing on the other side it's back to the lathe to taper the end-
View attachment 24178

Now we have this-
View attachment 24179

Now after some cleanup I can drill a 7/8" hole for the shackle pin-
View attachment 24180

View attachment 24181

View attachment 24182

That pretty well wraps it up. I'm planning a front bumper mod that will give me a good place to weld this mount. Stay tuned
Tflynn I need to borrow you and a couple of your tools for a few days. You're a mad man with steel

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm still very New to using this machine but am finally starting to feel comfortable with it. I love having custom one off parts but shackle mounts and roll bar clamps are all I can think of to make on this machine!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm still very New to using this machine but am finally starting to feel comfortable with it. I love having custom one off parts but shackle mounts and roll bar clamps are all I can think of to make on this machine!
Want to sell your prototype???

Reactions: Isaiah
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

If I had that machine I'd want to build bumper ends for the 1000 that go into the outside edges and bolt on that would allow a bar up over the fenders to the lower ROPS for nose protection. I wish you had a 1000 laying around by the looks of it you could have that done in minutes.
Seriously though very cool! It would be hard not to go through the machine just to build something better. Those look very nice I applaud you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: JTW and Tflynn
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I've been considering building a few and offering them to members. Problem is they take a long time for me to build. I'm sure a seasoned machinist could knock these out in no time but I'm still slow!
Well it looks professional to me, and I'd be proud to have one and willing to pay you a fair price for it. And, if you were to make them for the membership, I'm sure you'd get quicker, probably doing it assembly line fashion. It looks really cool, and would weld nicely to my Strong Made bumper.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can't believe the prices everybody gets for those winch cable shackle mounts. Yours looks good

Reactions: Mark700 and JenElio
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
@Tflynn made mine for me out of solid steel, I don’t know what kind. Very good work he did, and I want to say I paid him $40.00 for it.

75195FF0 C901 4E41 A8A9 DADD12E8FBD7

Reactions: Mark700 and Vikes79