P1000 P 1000-3 Winch Vs Wyeth Scott puller

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Funny story. Warning this will only happen to my dumb A - -

Ok so I wanted the absolute best recovery system available for my new 2022 Honda pioneer 1000-3 Deluxe. I'm and Older guy (Semi Retired) and hunt alone. My buddies will only hunt feeders & food plots on shooting houses.

I'm typically 10-15 miles into the everglades. No cell connection. I need the ability to self rescue. Sounds crazy but I love the adventure and willing to put in the work.

I went with the Wyeth Scott 3 ton puller instead of a winch. Figured it could pull 6k (4x SXS weight) no problem. The You tube videos show guys pulling trucks with this unit.

SXS got stuck about 8 miles in the glades ( 80 miles from my home) Awesome !! get to use my puller and 100' of extra rope. I start cranking and the machine would not budge. WARNING PSA ----- The force required to pull a stuck SXS 80' in silty mud is unimaginable. So.... I was able to recover the unit. The average force for each inch of cranking was about 100# and I was only able to crank the unit an inch at a time. The SXS was just trenching as I pulled

When you do the math 80'x12"/foot = 960 cranks at 100#. The recovery took me 3 hours. Loved the ability to recover at any angle and position but it was brutal.

Ended up going with a 6000# SATV winch. Set it up high (out of the water/mud) and it pulls from the front and/or rear via 2"-90 degree receiver setup.

IMG 20220520 123220870

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Funny story. Warning this will only happen to my dumb A - -

Ok so I wanted the absolute best recovery system available for my new 2022 Honda pioneer 1000-3 Deluxe. I'm and Older guy (Semi Retired) and hunt alone. My buddies will only hunt feeders & food plots on shooting houses.

I'm typically 10-15 miles into the everglades. No cell connection. I need the ability to self rescue. Sounds crazy but I love the adventure and willing to put in the work.

I went with the Wyeth Scott 3 ton puller instead of a winch. Figured it could pull 6k (4x SXS weight) no problem. The You tube videos show guys pulling trucks with this unit.

SXS got stuck about 8 miles in the glades ( 80 miles from my home) Awesome !! get to use my puller and 100' of extra rope. I start cranking and the machine would not budge. WARNING PSA ----- The force required to pull a stuck SXS 80' in silty mud is unimaginable. So.... I was able to recover the unit. The average force for each inch of cranking was about 100# and I was only able to crank the unit an inch at a time. The SXS was just trenching as I pulled

When you do the math 80'x12"/foot = 960 cranks at 100#. The recovery took me 3 hours. Loved the ability to recover at any angle and position but it was brutal.

Ended up going with a 6000# SATV winch. Set it up high (out of the water/mud) and it pulls from the front and/or rear via 2"-90 degree receiver setup.

View attachment 341499
I bet you will be giggling the next time you are stuck and get to use the convenience of that “winch in” button compared to what you put yourself through on this recovery. Hell you’ll probably have a free hand to video the recovery next time even. If there is one thing we like more than pics around here it is video!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!