P1000 P-1000-5 Tires - I don't want flats

H

Highcountry356

Jul 4, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hello All:

Newbie here that just bought a 2020 Pioneer Deluxe. Looking for some tire, and possibly wheel, advice. I know the OEM 4 ply tires aren't going to work for me. Here's my situation. I live in Colorado and do the bulk of my riding between 7000 - 11,000 feet in rocky terrain that doesn't get a lot of rain, but when it does, it is REALLY slick. I will also use it for hunting and could encounter snow. I will not be riding on pavement at all. 90% of the time I am traveling alone and at times will be 10+ miles from my truck so I really want to have a wheel/tire combo that reduces my probability of pinch flats and rock puncture flats. And of course I want good traction in the mud and snow. Can I have all of that?

I don't want to lift the vehicle or add a bunch of mods. I am not opposed to going to a different wheel and/or tire size if that what it takes. Thanks in advance for your help!

R

rickoshea

i put tireject into my stock bighorns till i get around to upgrading them,after a year still no punctures and no air loss that i'm aware of.i may just wear them out before i upgrade them,i really like the traction from the bighorns. i also ride solo and go a long way from home on a regular basis.most of the time i'm not quite in the middle of nowhere but i can see it from where i'm riding.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
For pinch flats, tire pressure is your friend. For any semblance of comfort, tire pressure is not your friend - pick yer poison. I hit two rocks today hard enough to cause a pinch flat (12 pounds air pressure) but they didn't. My Talon tires aren't known for puncture resistance, some are. A wet tire cuts much more easily than a dry tire, try it with a wet/dry knife (on an old tire, not yer new ones :oops: ). So when it's wet and the rocks are sharp, slow down - you'll get there faster than changing a tire. Due to 'stuff' I'm about to end up with the ability to carry two spares and I think I might let that happen - I ride solo in both the Rockies and headed for the desert when it isn't so damn HOT, two spares can't hurt and the carriers are paid for. They'll also help the oversprung Talon ride better.

More plies are 'usually' tougher - and rougher riding - again - poison, you pick.

I can't help with Pioneer specifics, others will be along in a minit. :cool:

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It’s a tough balance in my opinion. I’ve had three Pioneers and the stock tires have NEVER lasted over a couple hundred miles. Sidewall damage every time. Had tires with up to 20 plugs. Now with that said we do ride hard and I personally don’t think there’s a better all around traction tire, they are just awesome in mud and especially snow so I do like them come winter time.
From what I’ve seen it’s hard to match them, except for durability. Even went to the China copies and believe they hold up some better. Originals are better as well. On a lighter machine they do well. To do it right for us I’d like two sets, 2.0 for winter and just about anything else in summer.

Reactions: CID and TripleB
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello All:

Newbie here that just bought a 2020 Pioneer Deluxe. Looking for some tire, and possibly wheel, advice. I know the OEM 4 ply tires aren't going to work for me. Here's my situation. I live in Colorado and do the bulk of my riding between 7000 - 11,000 feet in rocky terrain that doesn't get a lot of rain, but when it does, it is REALLY slick. I will also use it for hunting and could encounter snow. I will not be riding on pavement at all. 90% of the time I am traveling alone and at times will be 10+ miles from my truck so I really want to have a wheel/tire combo that reduces my probability of pinch flats and rock puncture flats. And of course I want good traction in the mud and snow. Can I have all of that?

I don't want to lift the vehicle or add a bunch of mods. I am not opposed to going to a different wheel and/or tire size if that what it takes. Thanks in advance for your help!
If your not going bigger you really need to keep the air up. 16-18 psi. Theres not much sidewall on a 28" on a 14 wheel. I've popped every tire I've ever had except the sedona rockabilly. I'd look at truck tires honestly if your not in the mud much. A 255x80x14 is a 30x10x14 in the truck world.

R

rickoshea

buying the perfect tire.the unicorn of the utv world.i've gone through 8 trucks and always 2 sets of tires for each one.1 set for winter/mud and 1 set for carrying my truck camper and towing the boat.different load ratings,different width/size,different tread patterns,different compounds for hot/cold weather.i truly hate buying tires.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
buying the perfect tire.the unicorn of the utv world.i've gone through 8 trucks and always 2 sets of tires for each one.1 set for winter/mud and 1 set for carrying my truck camper and towing the boat.different load ratings,different width/size,different tread patterns,different compounds for hot/cold weather.i truly hate buying tires.
Agreed. Always a pita and always wonder if you made the right move.

H

Highcountry356

Jul 4, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If your not going bigger you really need to keep the air up. 16-18 psi. Theres not much sidewall on a 28" on a 14 wheel. I've popped every tire I've ever had except the sedona rockabilly. I'd look at truck tires honestly if your not in the mud much. A 255x80x14 is a 30x10x14 in the truck world.

Took your advice and see where a lot of guys are running 15 inch truck tires on stock P-1000's. Now my head is really spinning.

Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Took your advice and see where a lot of guys are running 15 inch truck tires on stock P-1000's. Now my head is really spinning.
@Remington what tires you got again @Cuoutdoors

advertisement
t-bear

t-bear

Nov 11, 2019
NE OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went with Tensor Regulator 28-10x14 specifically for the super thick sidewall and toughness. One member here reported the sidewalls are about 1/2" thick! They are a DOT LT mud type tire...

Mounted on Method 409 "Bead Grip" non-bead lock wheels. With the Method bead system and these stiff side walls I'm guessing I can still drive on a flat tire without bead separation. One other member mentioned it took 4 guys with a machine to get the Tensor bead over the rim and mounted.

Dirt Road Fabrication spare tire/fuel system with 5 matching wheels and 1" RB3 Offroad rear spacers. Love this set up!
20200705 102354

20200705 102354

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I went with Tensor Regulator 28-10x14 specifically for the super thick sidewall and toughness. One member here reported the sidewalls are about 1/2" thick! They are a DOT LT mud type tire...

Mounted on Method 409 "Bead Grip" non-bead lock wheels. With the Method bead system and these stiff side walls I'm guessing I can still drive on a flat tire without bead separation. One other member mentioned it took 4 guys with a machine to get the Tensor bead over the rim and mounted.

Dirt Road Fabrication spare tire/fuel system with 5 matching wheels and 1" RB3 Offroad rear spacers. Love this set up!View attachment 214794

View attachment 214794
A lot of people run those on all kinds of S X S machines and I've never heard any negative feed back on them, so they must be a good all around tire, Happy Trails!

H

Highcountry356

Jul 4, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Dirt Road Fabrication spare tire/fuel system with 5 matching wheels and 1" RB3 Offroad rear spacers. Love this set up!View attachment 214794

View attachment 214794

View attachment 214794
T-Bear:

Good looking set up. I have some questions.

Is your suspension stock?

Any clearance / rub problems with that set up?

How do they perform in the mud?

How much stiffer is the ride compared to the stock tires?

How much air pressure are you running in the tires?

Did you buy the wheels and tires as a set or separately? Where did you get them from?

Did you buy the spare tire rack direct from the manufacturer?

Thanks for your help!

t-bear

t-bear

Nov 11, 2019
NE OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
T-Bear:

Good looking set up. I have some questions.

Is your suspension stock? Yes, all stock suspension. My unit was a "basic" unit.

Any clearance / rub problems with that set up? Absolutely none. Plenty of clearance left. These tires measure 27 3/4" tall at 13psi.

How do they perform in the mud? Don't know yet. But I'd imagine "average" since it is a somewhat tight mud tread pattern.

How much stiffer is the ride compared to the stock tires? A little stiffer, but I don't notice it all anymore. I think the initial impression has to do with the fact that my "basic" OEM tires were only 4 ply and had a very soft side wall.

How much air pressure are you running in the tires? I'm running 13psi. Tensor recommends only 15psi max for "flats". My buddy in AZ runs his a little less than me at 10psi. However, I run more long distance gravel/dirt roads and a fair amount of pavement.

Did you buy the wheels and tires as a set or separately? Where did you get them from? I initially bought my spare wheel/tire while I was still running down my OEM tires. I then bought the new set at once from Rocky Mountain ATV. The spare and new set were all delivered mounted. I would have bought from KJ Motorsports as they were about $200 less, but out of stock.

Did you buy the spare tire rack direct from the manufacturer? I bought my rack from Jared at Dirt Road Fabrications. I did a bunch of research from threads here, and his unit was the more stout in materials and design in my opinion. Jared was AWESOME to deal with. My buddy in AZ bought the same unit and is also happy. I have over 1200 miles on his unit and NO problems or loose clamps.

Here is the thread on the Dirt Road Fab unit vs. others that convinced me.

Here is the Dirt Road Fabrication Tire/Fuel Carrier I went with...

Thanks for your help! You're very welcome! Enjoy your new toy!

@Highcountry356 Answers in BOLD above...

Reactions: tommyav8s and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!