KyGal83

KyGal83

Duchess Sheldon, Daisy, KGB, Natasha, SNS
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah, that's what mine does, when it "releases" the front end does a little sideways jerk sometimes too.
Plus the steering binding up while turning in reverse thing.
Does it in 2wd and 4wd, I'm really leaning towards it being in the steering somewhere.

Did you have the power steering added, or just a locker?
This sounds exactly like mine. It seems to be worse when turning to the right.. oddly enough. I plan to tear into to it first of August when I install my winch. Worst that could happen is I screw it all up..

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
Yeah, that's what mine does, when it "releases" the front end does a little sideways jerk sometimes too.
Plus the steering binding up while turning in reverse thing.
Does it in 2wd and 4wd, I'm really leaning towards it being in the steering somewhere.

Did you have the power steering added, or just a locker?
Just the locker. Part of my driveway is paved and has a fairly sharp left hand turn going down it and sometimes when I’d drive through it it felt like the machine would slide to the right feeling in the steering wheel. It’s hard to explain the feeling of it. It’s like it would loose the steering for a split second.

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
This sounds exactly like mine. It seems to be worse when turning to the right.. oddly enough. I plan to tear into to it first of August when I install my winch. Worst that could happen is I screw it all up..
I personally would just ride it and wouldn’t bother tearing back into it unless it was leaking diff oil around the axels.

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
It would also happen when I’d back up on pavement making a sharp turn. When I’d start to go forward it felt like it didn’t want to turn the front wheels back straight or it was hard to get the front to turn back straight then there would be a pop sound. I would just gas it and be on my way 🤣🤣🤣

H

herd90

Dec 4, 2015
Refresh on this. Torq locker and PS both 2 years old. Installed at the same time. Mine recently started very loud clicking noise whenever I engage 4wd driving straight or turning. Broken axle inside the differential, maybe?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Smitty335
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Refresh on this. Torq locker and PS both 2 years old. Installed at the same time. Mine recently started very loud clicking noise whenever I engage 4wd driving straight or turning. Broken axle inside the differential, maybe?

Or a CV joint. Check your boots for tears.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I havent seen anybody mention air pressure(ie tire diameter). Auto lockers need an identicle tire rolling radius side to side or else they will constantly be trying to differentiate (clicking).
Also these units have ackerman steering meaning the inside tire will be turned about 5 degrees more than the outside tire. If the tires are not properly and equally toed the 5 degrees could in fact be more or less when at full lock and cause squirrelly steering and possibly bind. The steering stops are not at the knuckle like on a truck axle

H

herd90

Dec 4, 2015

Update. Installed a new axle and problem is solved!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!