P500 P/S clanks and clunks

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
Installed the P/S and the front locker at the same time last year. I can hear the locker "tick tick tick" going slow while cornering, and I'm used to how a locker and a spool act with offroading in trucks.

I get occasional clunks while turning at low speeds, happened ever since I put in the P/S. I figured I maybe just didn't align everything perfect, but reading the forums, it seemed like it's kind of common.

Problem after the T.O., I may have borked something, now whenever I backup while turning to the right, I can hear the tire start to scuff and the steering binds up. Happened at the T.O. while loading it onto the trailer, and again after I got home, but was exhausted and forgot about it.
Was doing some yardwork today and it happened again, went around to check on it and the pass-side tire was turned noticeably sharper VS the drivers-side tire. I had to slowly move forward a foot or so until the steering loosened up enough I could straighten the wheels out. Couple back-and-forths later, loud *clunk* out of the steering system and everything seems OK.

Am capable of basic wrenching through osmosis (my dad was a maintenance mechanic at the mines northern MN, and he always worked on his own vehicles), but I'm not sure what I may have screwed up, or if I bent something and made it worse. Basic glance, everything seems to be straight in the linkages and a-arms etc. Happens in 2 and 4wheel drive.
Something screwed up in the drivetrain going to the passenger wheel maybe?

After covid-brain year and a half ago, my troubleshooting skills arent what they used to be.

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
Ok, jacked up the front end, 2wd. Spinning the tires by hand, get the standard locker ratcheting. Tire makes about 1.5-2 revolutions then a loud *CLACK* and it jerks to a quick stop/bounce kinda thing, then finishes its spin, tho much slower. Does it with both front tires actually, seems to happen more often/harder clack on the drivers side tire. Tho I did only try it spinning forward, didn't try it spinning backwards, dunno if that matters.

When I did the locker install, I did the "Only remove the shock/support from drivers tire and pull everything out from there" method, I didn't tear apart the pass side at all. I suppose wouldn't be too much trouble to start tearing it apart just to take a look.

More info: I got it summer of 2020, as a "New" 2018 floor model. Had 3 miles, and 2.8hrs on the ODO. Totally possible somebody beat it up on the lot in a test run or something, and just never said anything about it. Although, if it does turn out to be the CV joint, or broken gear tooth or something, I'm totally putting it down to T.O. damage, wherever it may have originally happened, lol.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Sounds like you need to narrow down where that clack is coming from. What's odd is you're saying you are getting the locker ratcheting sound just spinning the wheels? You shouldn't be unless holding one of them. That's an indication that something is binding on one side in the front end. My guess is a bent axle.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Sounds like you need to narrow down where that clack is coming from. What's odd is you're saying you are getting the locker ratcheting sound just spinning the wheels? You shouldn't be unless holding one of them. That's an indication that something is binding on one side in the front end. My guess is a bent axle.

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
Ok, I guess I was half asleep when I messed with it last night. Got it up today, got some jack stands under the A-arms to even out the wheel droop. If I start slow, I can get the wheels spinning up to a decent speed 0 locker clacks, no clunks. Once I start spinning too fast, then the locker ratchets like it should.

Put a square on both axle shafts just to check, they look straight.

Dunno if its worth tearing apart just to see if something is broken. Plus, having a hell of a time trying to find replacement CV joints, looks like its cheaper to just buy a new axle and swap the whole thing.

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
I put in full synthetic gear oil, it's pretty thin stuff, I'm thinking that's why mine ratchets so easy.

Did a full turn to each side, it's a little harder to spin the wheels, but pretty much the same outcome, nice and quiet until the locker releases then normal ratcheting.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Just throwing this out there in addition to above. Could the 4wd cable adjustment on the diff be off after reinstalling it after the locker install and is the cable spring in correctly? Also pull that plastic cover and see if it is caked with mud inside (like mine was). Wonder if the 4wd could still be engaged when the dash lever is in 2wd. I only hear the locker ratcheting while 4wd is engaged and making sharp turns, when the center pin is under torque and separating the locker halves.

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Possible diff issues aside as mentioned above. You indicate right tire is angled much farter than left tire when turned full lock.

Is it possible that the tie rod on passenger side is bent? A rarity for sure. only ever heard of it twice without involving a full on wreck.

Steering rack, if it wasn't centered properly when re assembling after power steering install possibly doesn't turn all the way to the left and tries to go too far to the right. Unlikely 3rd cause you would have noticed by now steering rack broken and being held by only the rubber boots on tie rods (Extremely unlikely- but possibility) If that was the case it wouldn't recenter.

Still the rotational binding you mention point to possible Torq-Locker issue, maybe something off during reassembly, those shims are very important to be correct.

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
Just throwing this out there in addition to above. Could the 4wd cable adjustment on the diff be off after reinstalling it after the locker install and is the cable spring in correctly? Also pull that plastic cover and see if it is caked with mud inside (like mine was). Wonder if the 4wd could still be engaged when the dash lever is in 2wd. I only hear the locker ratcheting while 4wd is engaged and making sharp turns, when the center pin is under torque and separating the locker halves.

Oh, believe me, when the lever's in 2wd, it's in 2wd, as evidenced by my inability to traverse all of Tacketts Creek hill climbs without shifting into 4wd. Plus, the huge difference in steering on hardpack/pavement/driveway in 4WD VS 2WD.
When I was cleaning it, def had some mud in there, but I'm going to put it onto ramps this weekend, and tear some stuff apart, see what I can see.

A locker will pretty much always make some amount of noise when turning, just depends on if you can hear it or not, unless you disengage one or both of the hubs like a pickup truck.
It's even in their FAQ:
Q: Does the TORQ Locker™ ever disengage?
A: The TORQ Locker™ never technically disengages, but it does allow for wheel spin differentiation so you can turn and steer the vehicle. The Locker achieves wheel speed differentiation through ratcheting. A slight audible click maybe noticeable at low speeds, this is an indication of the locker ratcheting.

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
Possible diff issues aside as mentioned above. You indicate right tire is angled much farter than left tire when turned full lock.

Is it possible that the tie rod on passenger side is bent? A rarity for sure. only ever heard of it twice without involving a full on wreck.

Steering rack, if it wasn't centered properly when re assembling after power steering install possibly doesn't turn all the way to the left and tries to go too far to the right. Unlikely 3rd cause you would have noticed by now steering rack broken and being held by only the rubber boots on tie rods (Extremely unlikely- but possibility) If that was the case it wouldn't recenter.

Still the rotational binding you mention point to possible Torq-Locker issue, maybe something off during reassembly, those shims are very important to be correct.

Yeah, my $$ right now is on either CV joint problem, or most likely something in the steering. I did the locker and PS in one weekend, locker first. By the end I was probably rushing a bit more than I should have been. I did do a couple back-n-forths with the steering to try and center before tightening it all up, might not have gotten it quite right.

Gave it a once-over and rocked/jiggled everything by hand the other day, didn't look like anything was bent, but will be tearing into it this weekend.

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
I know when I had my p500 with a locker, the steering wheel would sometimes catch when making a turn and make a popping sound when in 2wd. I checked it over and everything seemed fine with it. I would rather have a p500/520 with a locker in it than without it, even if it makes some noises.

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
I know when I had my p500 with a locker, the steering wheel would sometimes catch when making a turn and make a popping sound when in 2wd. I checked it over and everything seemed fine with it. I would rather have a p500/520 with a locker in it than without it, even if it makes some noises.
Yeah, that's what mine does, when it "releases" the front end does a little sideways jerk sometimes too.
Plus the steering binding up while turning in reverse thing.
Does it in 2wd and 4wd, I'm really leaning towards it being in the steering somewhere.

Did you have the power steering added, or just a locker?

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
My steering also sometimes binds up while turning, then will bang/release. Have been unable to locate the sound or the reason. The steering's in the front, right? (have ID'd why I can't find it . . . ) 😆

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
My steering also sometimes binds up while turning, then will bang/release. Have been unable to locate the sound or the reason. The steering's in the front, right? (have ID'd why I can't find it . . . ) 😆

Yeah, this was the part of it that appeared to be "normal", reading about it in the forums so I wasn't too overly worried about it. It's the 1 wheel turning further than the other, and having the steering totally bind up when reversing part that has me worried, and what started this whole post, lol.

So far, just been doing a "When backing up, don't turn all the way to the right", but sometimes forget.

C

Chuckerbird

Lifetime Member
May 26, 2017
Battle Mountain, NV.
Ownership

1. 500
I also had the same thing happen. Just a couple times in the first year after installing the torque locker. The past year and 1/2 it hasn't happened. Maybe everything found it's happy place???

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!