P1000 P1000 EPS: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
I agree it's not the robust point and shoot vehicle like a 4wheeler is but from reading on here it seems that people want it to have all the capabilities or a 4wheeler and the comfort and reliability of a Honda Civic. I e been more then happy with mine. There are a few things I wish Honda did to make it better but they will eventually. I think it is at least as good as anything out there if not better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp and Dp5hunter
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know what you mean. That's how I drive my truck! It has become a habit, especially while towing...I'll accelerate to 4K rpm then back off and let tranny shift then get back in it. That way there is less engine tourque during that moment when tranny is between gears. My truck has right at 200,000 miles without a single trans issue and when I changed fluid at 100K it looked like the day it was put in. I notice that I subconsciously drive my P1K the same way too so maybe this will keep my clutches from dying too soon. And I never use the paddle shifters so I'm hopeful that I'll be ok. All of the replies here are easing my mind some. I was really scared to touch the thing!

When I was in high school, I worked hard and saved my money and bought a brand new rifle. It was my pride and joy and I was so careful of it. One day my Dad, after watching me walk through the woods through his binoculars, asked me if he could see my rifle. I carefully handed it to him and he took out his pocket knife and put a scratch in the stock. He looked at my shocked face and said, "now that it has it's first scratch, I think that you'll actually be able to hunt with it, now go get us some venison."

Tough lesson, (I still don't like that scratch on my rifle!) but I did begin to use and enjoy that rifle.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
When I was in high school, I worked hard and saved my money and bought a brand new rifle. It was my pride and joy and I was so careful of it. One day my Dad, after watching me walk through the woods through his binoculars, asked me if he could see my rifle. I carefully handed it to him and he took out his pocket knife and put a scratch in the stock. He looked at my shocked face and said, "now that it has it's first scratch, I think that you'll actually be able to hunt with it, now go get us some venison."

Tough lesson, (I still don't like that scratch on my rifle!) but I did begin to use and enjoy that rifle.
I hear ya, but your rifle still worked after the scratch. My Honda will be a $17,000.00 boat anchor if I have life long clutch problems!! But I know what you're saying... I gotta just roll with it!!!

J

JTW

I would have flipped my s***!! There would have been a scratch on everything he held dear!!

J

Jshell3

You sure he was looking at you walking through the woods w his binoculars and not with his scope?

Last edited by a moderator:
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I mentioned low speed towing, I meant in the 2-4 mph range. Even in low range you aren't turning many revs and clutch will be in limbo. If you insist on this type of towing, this is good reading
https://hondasxs.com/threads/honda-pioneer-1000-clutch-replacement-a-how-to-
Personally I like my bigger tires and my mud. I even throw in a Ranger tow up a steep graded, loose rock/big rock 2+ mile long hills lol. Ok seriously I don't recommend the last part but I'm a "getcha buddy out of the woods no matter what" kinda guy. I should hit 2k miles tomorrow on original clutches. They may croak soon as I take off in morning but I'm still happy with them.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I call scratches character lol. They represent some great memories. Great story btw

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
When I mentioned low speed towing, I meant in the 2-4 mph range. Even in low range you aren't turning many revs and clutch will be in limbo. If you insist on this type of towing, this is good reading
https://hondasxs.com/threads/honda-pioneer-1000-clutch-replacement-a-how-to-
Personally I like my bigger tires and my mud. I even throw in a Ranger tow up a steep graded, loose rock/big rock 2+ mile long hills lol. Ok seriously I don't recommend the last part but I'm a "getcha buddy out of the woods no matter what" kinda guy. I should hit 2k miles tomorrow on original clutches. They may croak soon as I take off in morning but I'm still happy with them.
Hey Delton- Thanks for taking the the time to post! I'm the same on helping buds- and if you own a Honda... chances are you're a good fella! I know I'm ranting a bit but I think this forum carries enough weight to possibly get back to Honda and poke 'em in the ribs to maintain that stellar reputation they have established over the last 50 or so years. I went from "testing the waters of the sxs world" with an entry level Polaris for two years, to thinking "I'm ready for the big time!" with the P1000-3. It was just a bubble buster. I'm really rooting for Honda on this category. I really am. But all of us need to put our brand loyalty aside and say " Honda... we luv ya ... but ya screwed up on this one". Too many of the same complaints. Honda... we luv ya... get it together. Please.

Reactions: sharp and Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey Delton- Thanks for taking the the time to post! I'm the same on helping buds- and if you own a Honda... chances are you're a good fella! I know I'm ranting a bit but I think this forum carries enough weight to possibly get back to Honda and poke 'em in the ribs to maintain that stellar reputation they have established over the last 50 or so years. I went from "testing the waters of the sxs world" with an entry level Polaris for two years, to thinking "I'm ready for the big time!" with the P1000-3. It was just a bubble buster. I'm really rooting for Honda on this category. I really am. But all of us need to put our brand loyalty aside and say " Honda... we luv ya ... but ya screwed up on this one". Too many of the same complaints. Honda... we luv ya... get it together. Please.
Man if I had a dollar for every time posted what you just said lol. They came out with a supposedly better air intake mod and newer models are rumored to have improved clutches, so maybe they have listened to an extent. Honda isn't fast about anything. Period. My best friend waited around 5 years for them to finally come out with the cbr1100xx back in 97. He still has it by the way. It almost broke the 500hp mark on dyno few years ago. If we could've stuck the tire to the dyno well enough it probably would've lol. He will probably die still owning it.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think you'll be very happy with yours. They get so much better around first service time. The shifting really improves. Words can't describe how happy I am with mine. If it broke tomorrow I'd still be saying that.

advertisement

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Man if I had a dollar for every time posted what you just said lol. They came out with a supposedly better air intake mod and newer models are rumored to have improved clutches, so maybe they have listened to an extent. Honda isn't fast about anything. Period. My best friend waited around 5 years for them to finally come out with the cbr1100xx back in 97. He still has it by the way. It almost broke the 500hp mark on dyno few years ago. If we could've stuck the tire to the dyno well enough it probably would've lol. He will probably die still owning it.
Oh jeez!! Tell 'em not to hurt himself! I ride a HD 1200 Nightster. I won't out run anyone but my bike smells good when it idles and looks sexy!!! We are blessed to be in an age where manufacturers can get feedback from their customers so I say if there is a common flaw amongst users..let them know!

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
And 500 HP? C'mon Delton. Come the F... on!!! Ya killin me.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I appreciate the effort, but my original post had no questions. Simply "an honest and educated review of the machine". Thanks for the welcome and I'm sorry I'm jumping in with a sour taste.
I did the same thing, you will find all your answers here. When my clutch went out with under 200 hours on it, I was pissed. My dealer kept it for a week and when I picked it up the repairs ticket stated chamfering the oil relief valves and replacing both clutches. Reverse has no low gear always in high range, nail it in reverse to get clutches locked up. I believe the early releases had oil relief issues that needed chamfering. Welcome to the club!

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey guys, if anyone is interested in a quick fix for the babybottle sized cup holders, I just got it figured out. I looked at my Ranger (don't hate please) and thought "I wonder if there is enough room in Honda's dash for a proper cup holder?" Pulled Polaris insert out and all that needs to be done is about a 1/8th inch slice made all the way around Honda's dash hole. Did mine with a box cutter. Go slow! That plastic slices like butter. Fits right in and looks factory. It even snaps in with Polaris design! If ya'll don't mind tainting your Hondas with Polaris parts, the part # is 5436836. Now I wonder if my Polaris 10 gallon gas tank would transfer!

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I saw in another post where owners of P1K 3 seaters complaining of cab heat have been told by Honda to remove the engine shroud and the panel behind it also. I did and I gotta tell ya... It really helps a lot! As a side benefit, it makes checking / adding oil a heck of a lot easier. The only reason Honda put them on is in case the machine wound up being a 5 seater to protect rear passengers' feet and shoes.

Reactions: Jshell3
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Got over 6,200 miles on mine and get it going right away in low range to stay at or above 3 mph to avoid slipping the clutch. Its about 6 mph in high range. Brief low speed inching along won't hurt the clutch but it will heat it up and I avoid it as much as possible. The reverse gear is a bit too high in my opinion but I don't have to back up very much. I go in remote areas and need reliability so I don't abuse it. Some of the guys have nothing to ride except low speed mud, rocks, and deep water. Some spend more time doing an after ride cleanup then riding. Were fortunate in the West with thousands of miles of off road trails. The clutch failures got my attention but most of the guys know when they are hard on the clutch and in many cases there is no choice.

Reactions: JTW and ohanacreek
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Got over 6,200 miles on mine and get it going right away in low range to stay at or above 3 mph to avoid slipping the clutch. Its about 6 mph in high range. Brief low speed inching along won't hurt the clutch but it will heat it up and I avoid it as much as possible. The reverse gear is a bit too high in my opinion but I don't have to back up very much. I go in remote areas and need reliability so I don't abuse it. Some of the guys have nothing to ride except low speed mud, rocks, and deep water. Some spend more time doing an after ride cleanup then riding. Were fortunate in the West with thousands of miles of off road trails. The clutch failures got my attention but most of the guys know when they are hard on the clutch and in many cases there is no choice.
Install graet shocks and ride faster, issue gone!

J

Jshell3

Hey guys, if anyone is interested in a quick fix for the babybottle sized cup holders, I just got it figured out. I looked at my Ranger (don't hate please) and thought "I wonder if there is enough room in Honda's dash for a proper cup holder?" Pulled Polaris insert out and all that needs to be done is about a 1/8th inch slice made all the way around Honda's dash hole. Did mine with a box cutter. Go slow! That plastic slices like butter. Fits right in and looks factory. It even snaps in with Polaris design! If ya'll don't mind tainting your Hondas with Polaris parts, the part # is 5436836. Now I wonder if my Polaris 10 gallon gas tank would transfer!
Yeti/Cup Holder Question

This comes up with regularity.
Most popular fix is stainless marine cup holders.

But you know what?!? You're thinking and posting and the right kinda member that can make any forum better. Keep it up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sharp and JTW
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!