P1000 P1000 Steering recall

Formula1

Formula1

Lifetime Member
Feb 24, 2020
SE Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We're pulling the lower steering joint bolt to inspect for damage to the threads or shank.

Any damage to the bolt means the lower joint and all 3 shaft bolts/washers get replaced.

Inspection takes 30 seconds and replacing the joint may take 5 minutes if the shaft wants to be a pain coming apart.
Right, I'm just not sure exactly what part this is?

Reactions: Biteme
H

HondaTech

Right, I'm just not sure exactly what part this is?

The shaft sticking out of the top of the steering rack has a u-joint slid on it.

The bolt in the bottom half of that joint is the bolt we're inspecting.

H

Hardwaterflyer

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2015
West Central Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just inspected all 3 bolts on the steering u joints and there is no sign of any wear, however if anyone could post a picture of a damaged one that would be helpful. My Honda is a P1000-5 Camo 2018 with just over 900 miles.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I also assume there are no locking nuts on the end of the bolts.
Its just the 1 bolt at the rack.

This is an assembly point or stop at the factory that was done incorrectly. For example, being pushed all the way down and the bolt was just ran in without being aligned in the grove.

Bolt will have damages where the thread ends on the bolt shaft.

H

Hardwaterflyer

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2015
West Central Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the reply and now know exactly what to look for. After inspecting again it looks ok. Will take it Ray's Sport and Marine in Perham and have them do the inspection. Thanks again this site is awesome.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dealer inspected mine yesterday . They didn't find any issues but replaced the joint bolt anyway.
They showed me where what and why, which was cool.
Said at the factory, they were aligning and tightening the rack from the top down to the joint which misaligned the joint in question.

Reactions: Biteme and ChadD
J

JWise

Nov 19, 2020
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-3
First post, great forum. I assume this is the u-joint in question above the rack. How does mine look? 2018 1000LE
15B132EE 5DC8 481B 8C27 CAB41C352FC8

3XORV

3XORV

Nov 24, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just scheduled mine at the dealer. Dealer told me that some of the bolts that attach the arm to the steering knuckle were over-torqued at the factory. The bolts are removed and inspected. If they are not damaged, they replace the bolt and it's done. If the bolt is damaged, the entire steering knuckle has to be replaced. My dealer hasn't seen one yet that failed the bolt inspection. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because steering knuckles are on back-order at this time due to the recall.

Reactions: ChadD
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Just scheduled mine at the dealer. Dealer told me that some of the bolts that attach the arm to the steering knuckle were over-torqued at the factory. The bolts are removed and inspected. If they are not damaged, they replace the bolt and it's done. If the bolt is damaged, the entire steering knuckle has to be replaced. My dealer hasn't seen one yet that failed the bolt inspection. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because steering knuckles are on back-order at this time due to the recall.
Huh? The recall is to inspect the joint between the steering rack input shaft and the lower steering yoke:

This is a steering knuckle:

Reactions: 0860silverado

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Your dealer is probably just making a mistake in calling the joint a "knuckle". But as Adam490 posted above, the recall is to inspect the bolt that attaches the lower u-joint yoke to the steering input shaft and replace if necessary.

R

RoundMtn

May 6, 2020
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
got home from my morning hunt/ride and found a recall notice in the mailbox.steering and fuel pump.now i'm waiting for the dealer to call me back to book it in.i'm going to continue to ride till then...
Yes I’m the same... got both recalls with in a week or so.

D

douglasss

Nov 23, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The shaft sticking out of the top of the steering rack has a u-joint slid on it.

The bolt in the bottom half of that joint is the bolt we're inspecting.
HondaTech - any chance you can give the bolt tightening spec in inch or foot lbs when reinstalling the bolt in question here? The head of the bolt appears smaller than normal for a bolt this size and just curious what grade of bolt this is and what the torque spec is? It appears the correct part number for this bolt is: 90135-SB0-003 Thanks! Scott

C

casady

May 13, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 700-4
HondaTech - any chance you can give the bolt tightening spec in inch or foot lbs when reinstalling the bolt in question here? The head of the bolt appears smaller than normal for a bolt this size and just curious what grade of bolt this is and what the torque spec is? It appears the correct part number for this bolt is: 90135-SB0-003 Thanks! Scott
ImageFrom my 700 service manual, it should be the same, same part and recall

H

HondaTech

All three bolts should be torqued to 20ft-lbs.

It is an odd bolt, 10mm head, 8mm threads. Most 10mm headed bolts are 6mm threads. I can only assume this is because of the joint size.

D

douglasss

Nov 23, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like both "casady" and HondaTech have come up with the same torque spec for these bolts (20 ft-lbs). Thanks so much - I just love these forums! Everyone have a great Thanksgiving even if it will different than normal! Be safe! Thanks again - Scott

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!