P1000 P1k5 - Front Diff, Leaky seal, Froze wheel (FIXED!! Loose rotor bolt)

D

Driesel15

Jan 6, 2022
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello all, First time poster... new P1K5 LE owner.

Long story short I picked up a 2021 P1k5 used from a guy in late december 2021 with 1400 miles on. I was on an order list, this one came up, appeared well cared for and serviced records checked out. I pulled the trigger.

When I purchased, I looked it over top to bottom, all looked good (clean). Guy i bought from claims he rode with wife and friends in the UP, kids moved out and he's looking for a jeep. Fast forward to last week, was using for some yard work, went to back out of garage and heard a wheel screeching on concrete and what felt like I backed over something that wedged under the tire and i was dragging it (2 feet). Stopped immediately and got out to investigate and to my surprise, the wheel was frozen and locked (wont turn more than 1/4 turn) and dragging on the crete. I immediately went to the front diff and its leaking fluid from the drivers side seal.

I jacked the front end up and put the wheel on a dolly so i could move the machine without straining the front end any more than needed. Walked out the door for work trip and haven't gotten back to look it over yet.

I called the dealer, they never heard of front wheel freezing up. He's telling me I'm out of warranty by 50 days and started lecturing/reading me book on maintenance, which I am typically very diligent on, and wants me to drop it off for inspection. Unit made no noise or gave indication of something about to fail. Sits on a new garage floor and never dripped a drop from the leaking seal. I haven't had the chance to check the level yet.

Being this is an LE, I'm looking for input from the group, whats broke or could be causing the front passenger side tire to freeze up. At minimum the seals need to be replaced, and fluids changed all around for piece of mind at this point. I put just over 100 miles on the buggy thus far... can't believe its come to this already. New front diff is $1200 for entire unit.

I'll get some photos up when i get a chance. Been scouring the forums for anything that could point me in the right direction and nothing really fit my search criteria.

Thanks for reading...

Reactions: Smitty335
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I would think if there is no oil on floor, diff seal is just weeping, no big deal

rotor bolt backing out, etc.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Take a deep breath @Driesel15 - it's probably not anything major.

If you haven't been leaking diff oil all over the garage floor, and you hadn't heard any nasty noises leading up to this, it's unlikely anything all that bad is going on.

Seeing a little oil around the axle seals is pretty normal. The drivetrain on these machines is really solid. I'd get that wheel off yourself and look for anything obvious around the hub and rotor.

As mentioned, look for a rotor bolt backed out, or something stuck in the brake caliper, stuff like that.

Let us know what you find.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Take a deep breath @Driesel15 - it's probably not anything major.

If you haven't been leaking diff oil all over the garage floor, and you hadn't heard any nasty noises leading up to this, it's unlikely anything all that bad is going on.

Seeing a little oil around the axle seals is pretty normal. The drivetrain on these machines is really solid. I'd get that wheel off yourself and look for anything obvious around the hub and rotor.

As mentioned, look for a rotor bolt backed out, or something stuck in the brake caliper, stuff like that.

Let us know what you find.
This.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I might know a guy who left the caliper bolts out during some maintenance and it lead to the caliper wedging against wheel and locking it up when moving it. Or so I heard lol. It's worth a look
Ha. I may have done that on my wife's 4runner. Forgot to tighten the bolts

D

Driesel15

Jan 6, 2022
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fellas!
Thank you all for the responses. I took the wheel off to get a good look and sure enough, loose rotor bolts. 4 of 5 were loose, one of which was causing damage. Images attached. All snugged up and back in action.

now, about those seals… I’ll check fluids level but my question is if those have replaced them are getting better/clean seals? Wondering if Honda had a bad run or if these things weep and just need maintenance. Done my share of seals just curious on results of others after replacement.

In reference to the rotor bolt recall/issue, I did drop the VIN into the honda website for recalls and nothing popped.

Sorry about violating rule #4. Pic was from when I picked it up this past winter and was ice fishing with it. Love it, so far …

The caliper took some punishment but its in good working order.

thanks again

4A3913DB ACEF 4741 830C 29978C342829 EB639CBB FAAA 475C AEDF F1676881A229

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

Fellas!
Thank you all for the responses. I took the wheel off to get a good look and sure enough, loose rotor bolts. 4 of 5 were loose, one of which was causing damage. Images attached. All snugged up and back in action.

now, about those seals… I’ll check fluids level but my question is if those have replaced them are getting better/clean seals? Wondering if Honda had a bad run or if these things weep and just need maintenance. Done my share of seals just curious on results of others after replacement.

In reference to the rotor bolt recall/issue, I did drop the VIN into the honda website for recalls and nothing popped.

Sorry about violating rule #4. Pic was from when I picked it up this past winter and was ice fishing with it. Love it, so far …

The caliper took some punishment but its in good working order.

thanks again

View attachment 341192 View attachment 341195

Shoot me a PM with your VIN and ill run it through our dealer system.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Btw, this is the first I've heard of the rotor bolt recall, even did a forum search and didn't see anything...

Was it just the 21's?

@Driesel15 get the info to @HondaTech - if your machine is in the recall set, I'd guess you've got a case to get your caliper replaced even if you're past warranty...

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Great news, thanks for the follow-up!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!