BOX1

P1000 P1K5 Rear wind screen (hard or soft) to stop dust

Y

YukonHonda

Jul 16, 2020
Yukon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As it states, i'm looking for something on the back to stop the dust/snow from coming in. It got ridiculous last year with roof and putting the SATV windshield on. Ive looked at the moto roof windjammer and the SATV poly rear windshield, but just not sure what to go with. Anyone have just the rear windshield installed with no doors and find it works well for dust not coming back in? Thought of a mid panel, but we have kids in the back most the time. For the price of the SATV i'm hesitant to pull trigger on it if something like the windjammer will work just as good. Any other suggestions?

bluemountainbugler

bluemountainbugler

Nov 27, 2020
Walla Walla Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the hardtop and the glass Honda windshield and the dust was intolerable. I purchased the moto roof windjammer and it helped a little. Maybe a 25 to 30 percent reduction but still not good enough. My solution was when it gets dry and dusty I just remove my windshield and it totally solved my dust problem. I know this wont work for everyone and the other options I have heard that work is a flip up windshield and adding a back panel right behind the front seats. I know this probably isn't an option with the kids.
Good luck and maybe it's just another use for all the face masks. Covid and dust control.o_O

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You will have better luck taking the window off. The dust won't stop unless you at least add air coming in through the front. Flip up windshield will help. If you make a full cab you'll just cook to death.

Y

YukonHonda

Jul 16, 2020
Yukon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the hardtop and the glass Honda windshield and the dust was intolerable. I purchased the moto roof windjammer and it helped a little. Maybe a 25 to 30 percent reduction but still not good enough. My solution was when it gets dry and dusty I just remove my windshield and it totally solved my dust problem. I know this wont work for everyone and the other options I have heard that work is a flip up windshield and adding a back panel right behind the front seats. I know this probably isn't an option with the kids.
Good luck and maybe it's just another use for all the face masks. Covid and dust control.o_O

Ya I have the SATV flip up and when its warm I have it cracked, but in October till May it gets super dry and not much moisture up here. Its too cold to have it open on the face and then there is a ton of dust. Dont even need to bring lunch cause you eat too much of it. lol

CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
FWOW. I had the windjammer on my Talon R and it did a pretty good job. Good luck.

Reactions: Lady01
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As it states, i'm looking for something on the back to stop the dust/snow from coming in. It got ridiculous last year with roof and putting the SATV windshield on. Ive looked at the moto roof windjammer and the SATV poly rear windshield, but just not sure what to go with. Anyone have just the rear windshield installed with no doors and find it works well for dust not coming back in? Thought of a mid panel, but we have kids in the back most the time. For the price of the SATV i'm hesitant to pull trigger on it if something like the windjammer will work just as good. Any other suggestions?
I run a full soft cab in winter with Honda tilt windshield in winter.

As it warms up I pull it all off and use a mesh screen.

going on my 3rd summer with the screen. I just wear safety glasses or sunglasses.

the only time I wish I have a windshield in the summer is when it rains.

Boiler363

Boiler363

Dec 25, 2018
Hecker IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Just installed the tinted polycarbonate rear window from SATV our 1000-5. It's pretty awesome for the price really ($230)
Has gas shocks to flip up like a camper shell rear window. Very satisfied!

Y

YukonHonda

Jul 16, 2020
Yukon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just installed the tinted polycarbonate rear window from SATV our 1000-5. It's pretty awesome for the price really ($230)
Has gas shocks to flip up like a camper shell rear window. Very satisfied!
Let me know how it works for dust if you get out in it anytime soon. I think i'm going to do a dual battery set up then go for a back windscreen of some sort.

JasonBoh

JasonBoh

Mar 23, 2021
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but... I was wandering if anyone can tell me if a rear panel windjammer stops rain water from being sucked in during higher speed riding on rainy days. On the farm we use the pioneer in all conditions. The dust doesn't bother me much but I could do without getting hit in the back with water on rainy days when traveling between pastures/ fields. I have the seizmik vented hard coat windshield and an oem hard roof, the windshield vents don't help with the suction.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but... I was wandering if anyone can tell me if a rear panel windjammer stops rain water from being sucked in during higher speed riding on rainy days. On the farm we use the pioneer in all conditions. The dust doesn't bother me much but I could do without getting hit in the back with water on rainy days when traveling between pastures/ fields. I have the seizmik vented hard coat windshield and an oem hard roof, the windshield vents don't help with the suction.
I have the same Seizmik vented windshield and roof and I know what you're saying.

My poor-boyed rear mesh helps with dust and stops rain and snow. There are also sites that sell these.

I bought a dump truck cover ($22), a brass grommet kit ($17), upholstery needle and thread kit ($15), and a handfull of ball bungee cords ($11).

Cut it, hand stitched it, and put in the grommets. I used the fiberglass rod from a broken whip flag to thread along the bottom.
If I don't want it down, I can roll it up and secure it up with the ball bungees. I generally load and unload the bed through a side door anyway, so I leave it down most of the time. Your farm use may need to tailgate load more, but you can probably get away with fewer bungees. Frankly, I put three down each side because I Interstate tow my machine a lot and need to deal with 80 mph wind.

Side note: the dump truck cover had enough leftover mesh that I made front and back overhead compartments for gear. I used matching grommets top and bottom, closed with ball bungees, and stitched small ratchet straps to the mesh - wrapped the straps around the roll cage and they hold tight up under the roof. The nice thing is I can leave a lot of stuff up there and it won't get wet even when I wash the rig.
IMG 2236

Reactions: justaguy and Lady01
JasonBoh

JasonBoh

Mar 23, 2021
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thx for the reply, I have everything but the netting here to make this. Where did you get the netting? I do have sun shade netting which I will check in the morning. But I don't think I will be able to see through the sun shade good enough to use my rear view mirror.
I used to do commercial taxidermy so I have all the thread and most supplies on hand. I don't know why I wasn't smart enough to think about Building my own screens.

Thanks StewB for the idea​

Soaz1000

Soaz1000

Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2018
Soaz
Ownership

1. 1000-5

In this thread it tells how to order a mesh panel I think I paid about $30 for mine.

Soaz1000

Soaz1000

Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2018
Soaz
Ownership

1. 1000-5

If the mesh doesn't pan out I might try this. I found them on FB

Last edited:
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thx for the reply, I have everything but the netting here to make this. Where did you get the netting? I do have sun shade netting which I will check in the morning. But I don't think I will be able to see through the sun shade good enough to use my rear view mirror.
I used to do commercial taxidermy so I have all the thread and most supplies on hand. I don't know why I wasn't smart enough to think about Building my own screens.

Thanks StewB for the idea​

Happy to share ideas and hope you share yours, too.

Just went through my amazon order history and here are the links.

Dumptruck cover:

This dumptruck mesh is up to $37 for an 8x10 sheet. It was $21 in February, but hey, Bezos has a rocket to equip and service. Makes our Pioneers look like Matchbox cars.

I would be careful if looking for cheaper mesh. This mesh is very, very tough, but you can see through it just fine.
In fact, you can easily see through my rig in the photo above, but the mesh is fine enough to block most of the air,
which is what sucks the snow and rain in and onto your shoulders. It's UV resistant and you'll have a lot left over.

Grommet kit:

Needle and thread kit:

I had a spool of black, outdoor upholstery thread that matched the mesh. I think I used the other thread.
Sounds like you have that and are likely to stitch a better line than I did.

Ball bungees:

A 30 pack for $11. These are handy everywhere on a Pioneer. I use them to hold the side nets rolled up to the roll cage.

Best.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!