P5 Seat getting HOT

B

BFDG

Aug 12, 2014
Has anyone encountered or heard this problem of the seat getting hot while riding? I know its the engine getting hot, but its not overheating and i chked the rad, it wasnt clogged. It may be just a flute on mine, But it so hot the 2 rubber seat belt holder lay flat now instead of hold them up.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Thats not good. I would expect it to become fairly warm but not hot enough to warp the plastic. The 700's will get fairly hot as well. Not enough to melt or burn anyone but hot enough you do not want to touch it for long. Members have done several mods including wrapping the muffler head pipe and installing extra heat reflectors and padding. The wrap did the best in controlling the heat.

So.
How close are you with your dealer? First, I was going to say to replace them, they cant be much... then do some mods to block the heat. Then looking at it you have to buy the whole assembly and that is $90 each. If the heat has compromised the seat belt structure then Honda should consider it unsafe and replace it. But.... it really is depends on how its made as there "should" be wire or metal connecting the clasps to the frame! Then the plastic is only a cover and would not fall under a "safety" concern.

shakemandril

shakemandril

Jul 27, 2014
Four Corners
I rode my P5 for nearly 3 hours straight and never even felt any heat from the motor. My unit runs consistant at 2/5 bars on the temp gauge. Once it is warmed up to 2 bars hasnt moved past that.

B

BFDG

Aug 12, 2014
Thanks for the input, I have contacted the dealer, bout this, of course they say "it cant do that" of course this was a sales guy, then i talked with the service department, they told to bring it and they check it for me.(free of charge) He also mentioned with this being a brand new unit/design, there is no feed back from customers on performance or issues yet. So i guess they will add this one...

P

PaPaCraig04

Aug 22, 2014
Went for an extended ride in our woods thru many trails and when coming back stopped to talk with friends about my new ride the P5. As I was sitting there I began to notice a burning feeling on my right hip area. and upon looking around I discovered the heat and hot air was coming from the seatbelt area. the cutout for the belts to come through the seats was emitting a lot of heat. This was my first experience of this happening and was glad to see it was not just me or my machine. I will definitely be talking with my dealer about a remedy. Good luck fixing this issue and safe and happy trails....... Throw some MUD!

N

ninjafreek

Jul 16, 2014
Mine does the same thing, It'll be nice in the winter sucks during the summer

B

BFDG

Aug 12, 2014
its back from the dealer, we determined that its just engine heat escaping through the seat belt area, as PaPaCraig said, the valve cover is very close to the plastic, so its a design thing, Im either going make a heat shield for the area, Or go with another suggestion my buddy came up with, which is, make a dummy snorkel with a blower motor to blow the hot air downward, and away from the area, I think it will be the easier way to combat the problem. Not to mention look cooler with dual snorkels rather than a single. Service guy said they would forward the problem to Honda, I wouldnt be shocked to see a heat sheild added on the 2016 models.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!