DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Have you driven the 700?
I am just going to be honest here and say that unless I had specific reasons for a 500 (like trail restrictions or no way to haul a bigger machine), I can't see ever buying one over a 700. The 500 has its place...it's just that I'm not in that place. On the tight 2 track trails I grew up riding the 500 would be awesome. The reality is that I now ride off road parks where the extra stability of the 700 more than offsets it's extra size. I think you could probably get a base model 2 seater for 10k out the door with some shopping.

Another option: The new Wolverine X2?

RydeAK

RydeAK

Aug 20, 2016
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
If your going to go up to a 700 I would go for the Wolverine. Couple of years ago the base models were going out the door at $9500 new. The new Wolverine X2 is probably more of course. I think Yamaha’s are solid machines.

Buddy of mine rolled his Yamaha Viking onto the roof and slid 15-ft down a hill on the roof. No damage except to the corner of the plastic roof. The rubber band drive seems to be pretty reliable as well.

It seems like Honda May have skimped on the production of their SXSs. Your frame welds bent. Several P500s have broken a arm mount welds. Don’t tell me they were over driving them, we used to absolutely thrash those old Honda 300s and they were stout. Nothing seems to be very stout anymore. meh what do I know tho.

Like I said never driven the pioneer 700 but if I’m getting anything bigger than a P500 it’ll be a Yamaha

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Have you driven the 700?
I am just going to be honest here and say that unless I had specific reasons for a 500 (like trail restrictions or no way to haul a bigger machine), I can't see ever buying one over a 700. The 500 has its place...it's just that I'm not in that place. On the tight 2 track trails I grew up riding the 500 would be awesome. The reality is that I now ride off road parks where the extra stability of the 700 more than offsets it's extra size. I think you could probably get a base model 2 seater for 10k out the door with some shopping.

Another option: The new Wolverine X2?
Thank you for this info. I drove the 700-4 when it was first released. I actually had money down on the first one the dealer was supposed to get. But it kept getting pushed back so I ended up buying a Yamaha Viking at that time. I liked the 700 a lot but got tired of waiting and was a little nervous about the "lack of power" issues folks were talking about. Since then I have learned that I like the type of power put down by the Honda machines over the machines with belts. I really liked that the p500 was like a little tractor. Not fast but climbed well and capable. I'm looking for that similar feel but in a more stable platform.

My local dealer just called and they have a 2017 700-4 base model coming in. He is going to hold it for me until I can see/drive it and make a decision.
OTD price is right around $11,800. We will see

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
If your going to go up to a 700 I would go for the Wolverine. Couple of years ago the base models were going out the door at $9500 new. The new Wolverine X2 is probably more of course. I think Yamaha’s are solid machines.

Buddy of mine rolled his Yamaha Viking onto the roof and slid 15-ft down a hill on the roof. No damage except to the corner of the plastic roof. The rubber band drive seems to be pretty reliable as well.

It seems like Honda May have skimped on the production of their SXSs. Your frame welds bent. Several P500s have broken a arm mount welds. Don’t tell me they were over driving them, we used to absolutely thrash those old Honda 300s and they were stout. Nothing seems to be very stout anymore. meh what do I know tho.

Like I said never driven the pioneer 700 but if I’m getting anything bigger than a P500 it’ll be a Yamaha
the only thing about the wolverine is that to change the belt, you have to remove the bed to do it. if your on trail your up chit creek with a turd for a paddle. a friend of ours that comes up to ride our camp on memorial day has one. he told us about it last year and low and behold, it happened this year. thank god he was on the 2 track coming back to camp. it was a lot of beers taking the bed off lol. don't want to imagine how it would have ben out on trail:mad::eek:

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I think you could probably get a base model 2 seater for 10k out the door with some shopping.
Maybe, but he could get one for less than that from me. :D

Reactions: Mudwing
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Hey! This is a Honda forum. :D:D

Reactions: trigger and Mudwing
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I liked the 700 a lot but got tired of waiting and was a little nervous about the "lack of power" issues folks were talking about.
It’s really misinterpreted as a lack of power but the reality is it’s a lack of low range.

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
For what you seem to want out of a machine..the 700 sounds like a good choice..When you said you didn't want to go up to a P1000, then that says your riding style is a little less demanding. I have a P700 and it has been all the machine I could need. It's really more about how you use it, than the machine itself. You asked about stability...I have not owned or driven a P500, but it only makes sense that the P700 is going to be much more stable, both on paper and in real life situations. As far as low end power... I have never needed anything more..but again, it is all in how you drive and use the machine. As far as reliability, I have not had any problems with transmission or motor or anything...

Last edited:
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 500 and my brother in law has the 700, I like trail riding with my 500 better. The 700 is a better work or chore rig in my opinion. I’ve been in places that the 700 would have to run things over to get through. Just my two cents.....get the 500 and widen it.

Reactions: trigger
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 500 and my brother in law has the 700, I like trail riding with my 500 better. The 700 is a better work or chore rig in my opinion. I’ve been in places that the 700 would have to run things over to get through. Just my two cents.....get the 500 and widen it.
After re-reading your post, I saw the plural form of kid (kids).... you need a 700-4. If safety is your number one concern and it looks like it is, that’s what I would do. Only two seat belts in the p5, although you could let the kids drive and use the seatbelts while you ride on the roof lol.

Reactions: Mudwing and Vaden01
Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have owned both sometimes I miss the p5 but I really like my 700 deluxe. The 500 was a mean machine but I am much happier with p7. Love the room and all the features I would have had to spend a ton on to give the p5. I am going to put 27s on but it will also get 2 inches wider with wheel offset.if it works on your trails go 700.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
For what you seem to want out of a machine..the 700 sounds like a good choice..When you said you didn't want to go up to a P1000, then that says your riding style is a little less demanding. I have a P700 and it has been all the machine I could need. It's really more about how you use it, than the machine itself. You asked about stability...I have not owned or driven a P500, but it only makes sense that the P700 is going to be much more stable, both on paper and in real life situations. As far as low end power... I have never needed anything more..but again, it is all in how you drive and use the machine. As far as reliability, I have not had any problems with transmission or motor or anything...
Or perhaps his pocketbook is less forgiving.
(That is completely understandable)

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
It’s really misinterpreted as a lack of power but the reality is it’s a lack of low range.
That's a great way to put it and is still a concern for me. But, it's not as much of a concern as it was before. Since I still have my Rubicon and that is what I enjoy riding when I don't have the kids with me, I will be just fine with most of the riding I like to do. I have wondered if it would be a good idea to really consider the Deluxe version just so I could hold the preferred gear longer but I'm trying to keep myself in check. I sometimes want "the best" of a certain thing but then after the newness factor wears off, I wonder why I "needed" that in the first place.

Reactions: Mudwing
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have wondered if it would be a good idea to really consider the Deluxe version just so I could hold the preferred gear longer
Well, that’s not legal so shouldn’t factor into your decision. :D:D

Reactions: educ8tedguess
educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Thanks for your insight. Since this machine will really only be used when I have my kids with me, my riding style will be less demanding than if I were to ride it on my own all the time. When I ride my Rubicon, I do ask a lot of it but it's smaller and easier to control. The 700's purpose is to get out with my kids. I really considered the 700-2 as I don't get a lot of opportunity to ride with both of my kids. But... I'm going with the 700-4 so I can start creating opportunities to ride with them both.
Finally, you touched on reliability; that is huge for me and one of the main reasons I enjoy Honda so much. I enjoy the lower CC machines because I'm confident in their reliability to get me there and back... wherever there may be.

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
After re-reading your post, I saw the plural form of kid (kids).... you need a 700-4. If safety is your number one concern and it looks like it is, that’s what I would do. Only two seat belts in the p5, although you could let the kids drive and use the seatbelts while you ride on the roof lol.
Thank's for this... I went back and forth a bunch on this but took the weekend to make it right in my head. On Saturday morning, I was sure that I was going to get another p500 because I liked that I could take it into tight trails and I just like the looks and capability. By Sunday evening I decided that I'm going to go with the 700-4 for the very reason you stated above... Kid's (plural) Because I only had one extra seat with the 500, I only brought one kid with me. But with the 700, I will be able to take both which means more riding and less mama being mad that I'm gone again. (IF I have the kids, she doesn't mind that I'm out playing) I realize that it won't be as agile and able to get into the same areas... But I can do that on my Rubicon.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thank's for this... I went back and forth a bunch on this but took the weekend to make it right in my head. On Saturday morning, I was sure that I was going to get another p500 because I liked that I could take it into tight trails and I just like the looks and capability. By Sunday evening I decided that I'm going to go with the 700-4 for the very reason you stated above... Kid's (plural) Because I only had one extra seat with the 500, I only brought one kid with me. But with the 700, I will be able to take both which means more riding and less mama being mad that I'm gone again. (IF I have the kids, she doesn't mind that I'm out playing) I realize that it won't be as agile and able to get into the same areas... But I can do that on my Rubicon.
I was about to suggest that since you have the small and nimble covered, why not go with the larger?
The other thing is, I found that I was overly pessimistic about where the 700 would fit. Granted, I was out west where things are more open when I bought it, but I have a hard time thinking of a trail it actually was to large for.
Loading up the family and supplies for a day in the Backcountry. That's what the 700 excells at...

20151205 172805

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Well, that’s not legal so shouldn’t factor into your decision. :D:D
I have so many responses running through my ADHD infested head and it is taking every bit of the small amount of self control that I have to contain it. Thanks for the laugh... I think I need to spend more time in "the pub" area of this forum so I can let my creativity out...

Reactions: Montecresto
educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I was about to suggest that since you have the small and nimble covered, why not go with the larger?
The other thing is, I found that I was overly pessimistic about where the 700 would fit. Granted, I was out west where things are more open when I bought it, but I have a hard time thinking of a trail it actually was to large for.
Loading up the family and supplies for a day in the Backcountry. That's what the 700 excells at...

View attachment 81169
Yep, that's where my mind is at right now. Awesome picture; thank's for sharing.

Reactions: DG Rider

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!