Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
That's what I was thinking...having another battery is just having
more storage in the tank. It isn't helping out the stator at all.
The way that I have mine set up all accessories only draw from my secondary, the primary when charged to a certain level triggers the isolator and it begins to charg the secondary. Your comments are true if the batteries are hooked together without an isolator.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
The way that I have mine set up all accessories only draw from my secondary, the primary when charged to a certain level triggers the isolator and it begins to charg the secondary. Your comments are true if the batteries are hooked together without an isolator.

Mine is set up the same way and the Blue Sea isolator monitors level of both batteries and applies charge to maintain batteries at appropriate voltage. The point I'm trying to express regardless of how many batteries you have or how you have them set up, if you have greater draw down (on a constant basis) than the stator can support you will be creating concern. Yes the primary starter battery maybe isolated from the excessive draw down and the auxilliary battery will face the brunt of the draw down, it's the stator and charge system that face excessive loads and may fail sooner than expected. If you have lots of e-gear wired up the call is to use it strategically so you minimize excessive draw down all the time. Periodically I don't think is a concern, with a dual system.

Stator alternator puts out 481 watts at 5000 engine rpm.

Last edited:
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Mine is set up the same way and the Blue Sea isolator monitors level of both batteries and applies charge to maintain batteries at appropriate voltage. The point I'm trying to express regardless of how many batteries you have or how you have them set up, if you have greater draw down (on a constant basis) than the stator can support you will be creating concern. Yes the primary starter battery maybe isolated from the excessive draw down and the auxilliary battery will face the brunt of the draw down, it's the stator and charge system that face excessive loads and may fail sooner than expected. If you have lots of e-gear wired up the call is to use it strategically so you minimize excessive draw down all the time. Periodically I don't think is a concern, with a dual system.

Stator alternator puts out 481 watts at 5000 engine rpm.
Agreed! I constantly monitor batteries condition and draws on electrical system using separate battery meters as seen in photo. If the draw is to great I adjust usage accordingly.

Talen

Talen

Aug 7, 2015
Central PA
Hmmm, so the stator puts out xxx amps, watts, 12 volts correct me if I'm mistaken. Regardless if you're running one batterie or more and its discharging due to draw of e-stuff, it still has to be charged.... I mean charging an auxiliary battery isolated from the start battery is the same as any battery. Only difference with an isolated battery, one is used exclusively for engine restart (and still requires charging), same holds true for others battery.
No, with the right setup it will only charge one at a time. It switches charging and draw back and forth so when one is charged it redirects to charge the other. I will have to check with my buddy again. He had his stator go on his rhino. So went to this set up

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
View attachment 17009
Agreed! I constantly monitor batteries condition and draws on electrical system using separate battery meters as seen in photo. If the draw is to great I adjust usage accordingly.
Same here. Although, while running, I've never seen my voltage below 13.6.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Same here. Although, while running, I've never seen my voltage below 13.6.
In my prior install, I ran multiple amps. With the stereo cranked completely (to drown out the ridiculous noise from my Polaris while running full speed) you could watch the draw on the secondary while the primary remained fully charged @ 14.1 volts.

Reactions: trigger
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
In my prior install, I ran multiple amps. With the stereo cranked completely (to drown out the ridiculous noise from my Polaris while running full speed) you could watch the draw on the secondary while the primary remained fully charged @ 14.1 volts.
Yep, that's the point. With the added 36 AH deep cycle, I do what ever I want, and when it's time to go, that little 16 AH OEM cranks the motor and then I'm off again.

Reactions: Eltobgi
hambone

hambone

Mar 14, 2015
Southeast Indiana
Ok boys and girls.
Crank trigger, AKA Crank position sensor was bad. Bad news is that it comes with/attached to the stator.
But, she is all fixed up. Honda paid for the stator assemble. I paid labor, oil, filter and they adjusted valves. $352

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Good news hambone!

Reactions: hambone
advertisement
R

Rustell

I've concidered doing the same for our "wind deflector".. Let us know how it turns out.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
UPDATE!
Dealer called!
Honda stepped up, they have a check for me for $312!
YAY! So it cost me $40 to have oil and filter changed, and a valve adjustment.
I am happy!

Good news!
Your dealer was surely a factor as well.... If the dealer did not want you to get reimbursed (for whatever reason) you would not have gotten that check. You must have a decent dealer on your side, and Honda.

Reactions: hambone

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!