P500 P500 Down!

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Looks like a winch mounted on the front...how often do you use it? That seems like the most likely culprit. What size is it and is it used for plowing, etc?

hambone

hambone

Mar 14, 2015
Southeast Indiana
Looks like a winch mounted on the front...how often do you use it? That seems like the most likely culprit. What size is it and is it used for plowing, etc?
4500lb winch, use occasionally when someone is stuck. No plowing or continued use.
If that is all it takes to burn the stator out, I am going to think about my lifelong loyalty to Honda.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Not saying thats what caused it but its more likely than an led light bar. 4500lb is a big winch, can draw 180amps at full load.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
4500lb winch, use occasionally when someone is stuck. No plowing or continued use.
If that is all it takes to burn the stator out, I am going to think about my lifelong loyalty to Honda.
like @sthomp54 said, a winch draws a huge amount of current. However, I am sure that Honda designed the electrical system to handle that in all but extreme cases. Honda sells winches and light bars through the dealers so they definitely planned on their customers using them.

It seems to me that you got a machine with a defective stator since it doesn't appear that you are doing anything you shouldn't be. My P500 is only a few months old, and it's dripping gear oil on the garage floor. Unfortunately, they can't all be perfect. Sorry about your luck. I hope the dealer takes care of you.

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I hate to hear this. I often ride alone and go a few miles in. That would suck if it happened deep on the trails. Hope you got a ride back at least

hambone

hambone

Mar 14, 2015
Southeast Indiana
I
I hate to hear this. I often ride alone and go a few miles in. That would suck if it happened deep on the trails. Hope you got a ride back at least
I have it, getting it cleaned up. Haven't decided to take it in or do it myself

hambone

hambone

Mar 14, 2015
Southeast Indiana
I I have so mud built up in front!

IMG 20160615 173807

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Mud is germane to the P5.

advertisement
Frisco

Frisco

Jan 15, 2016
San Francisco, CA
Ownership

1. 500
like @sthomp54 said, a winch draws a huge amount of current. However, I am sure that Honda designed the electrical system to handle that in all but extreme cases. Honda sells winches and light bars through the dealers so they definitely planned on their customers using them.

It seems to me that you got a machine with a defective stator since it doesn't appear that you are doing anything you shouldn't be. My P500 is only a few months old, and it's dripping gear oil on the garage floor. Unfortunately, they can't all be perfect. Sorry about your luck. I hope the dealer takes care of you.

I hope you are right ehart814.........I just moved my 10" led light bar to the back, and put a 31" led bar on the front roof. You would think with multiple accessory leads, Honda designed it to be ok. Was going to do the double battery thing, but the most I might ever be drawing is a light bar being on with a winch on at night. (Hopefully I'll never need too). Decided to just do a JBL sound tube for music. (So I can remove after riding and place next to me with my drink). So no music draw. I will deffinatly keep my fingers crossed. Anybody else running dual light bars with any supply problems? Stator issues? Frying the alternator?

Talen

Talen

Aug 7, 2015
Central PA
Well here is the thing, I think the pioneer stator only puts out 500 watts at max. That light bar itself is probably 180 watts, plus headlights, plus ignition at a steady draw. Winches are a lot of draw, but not for more than a minute or less.

Talen

Talen

Aug 7, 2015
Central PA
As some one said, it may have been a bad stator. Next one may last much longer. But regardless, running light bars will shorten the life unless you do a dual battery and isolator. Isolator is a must or still have the same problem

Reactions: Eltobgi
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
As some one said, it may have been a bad stator. Next one may last much longer. But regardless, running light bars will shorten the life unless you do a dual battery and isolator. Isolator is a must or still have the same problem
That's kinda scary...
I have a 22" light bar, two 3" pods, two 6" leds on back,
3500 lb winch, GPS and a stereo with a powered sub.
Won't be running all of them at once but...
Think I need a second battery?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That's kinda scary...
I have a 22" light bar, two 3" pods, two 6" leds on back,
3500 lb winch, GPS and a stereo with a powered sub.
Won't be running all of them at once but...
Think I need a second battery?
Do it trigger!!

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Hmmm, so the stator puts out xxx amps, watts, 12 volts correct me if I'm mistaken. Regardless if you're running one batterie or more and its discharging due to draw of e-stuff, it still has to be charged.... I mean charging an auxiliary battery isolated from the start battery is the same as any battery. Only difference with an isolated battery, one is used exclusively for engine restart (and still requires charging), same holds true for others battery.

Reactions: 70Bones and hambone
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Hmmm, so the stator puts out xxx amps, watts, 12 volts correct me if I'm mistaken. Regardless if you're running one batterie or more and its discharging due to draw of e-stuff, it still has to be charged.... I mean charging an auxiliary battery isolated from the start battery is the same as any battery. Only difference with an isolated battery, one is used exclusively for engine restart (and still requires charging), same holds true for others battery.
That's what I was thinking...having another battery is just having
more storage in the tank. It isn't helping out the stator at all.

hambone

hambone

Mar 14, 2015
Southeast Indiana
That's what I was thinking...having another battery is just having
more storage in the tank. It isn't helping out the stator at all.
To what I think as well. Might be wrong
I never claimed to be real smart, but I know a lot of smart people! I will ask some experts in the field when I get time.
That being said, I am taking it to the dealer this morning. I have it all cleaned and stripped down. I didn't want to pay them to remove stuff.
Biggest reason I am taking is..... what if other dealer was wrong in diagnosis? Then I would be still broke!

Reactions: JCart
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!