Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Don't believe you're missing anything. I have the original plug in my 09 Polaris with 5K miles on it. My trucks go over 100K without changing plugs.

I have an '07 Cobalt at 299k. Still has original spark plugs in it. Was going to switch them out at about 150k, just as preventative maintenance. Was asking my mechanic what plugs to go with and he asked ' why, what's it doing '. No problems, just seems logical...if it ain't broke don't fix it! ;)

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have an '07 Cobalt at 299k. Still has original spark plugs in it. Was going to switch them out at about 150k, just as preventative maintenance. Was asking my mechanic what plugs to go with and he asked ' why, what's it doing '. No problems, just seems logical...if it ain't broke don't fix it! ;)

Really? Wow!

Reactions: trigger
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Really? Wow!
Well, when I was a kid driving around my first car, a 1955 Plymouth, it was the day when you replaced points and condensers (not sure if you know what that is) and spark plugs just about like you changed oil, seems like plugs were always "fouling". I guess technology has brought us a long way, lol.

D

Deleted member 3748

It all depends on how you look at it. We'll spend $500 for tires we don't need and thousands on accessories, why not $3.50 to keep a new spark plug in your machine. Why are we even discussing this practically free part. :)

Reactions: lee and rocmar
D

Deleted member 3748

Yeah, it purrs too. I run that thing hard everyday. Doing a job that's 114 miles each way right now. I hit 90 daily.
P.S. Never did do that ignition switch recall crap either...if it ain't broke...
I meant the part about 'if it ain't broke don't fix it.' If it ain't broke now, wait til I'm done taking it apart!

I wonder if GM would want to buy that car back from you. They do that some times to see how everything held up.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well, when I was a kid driving around my first car, a 1955 Plymouth, it was the day when you replaced points and condensers (not sure if you know what that is) and spark plugs just about like you changed oil, seems like plugs were always "fouling". I guess technology has brought us a long way, lol.

It is pretty amazing that those plugs went that long. I would be interested to see what the plug gap is. Now I would just like to see how far can theY go!

I may be a fairly young guy compared to some guys on here but I do have a 67 Ford and had original spark plugs, points,and rotor until 2012. I drove that truck Northwest Arkansas down to North Alabama with original equipment still in it. But I guess that really doesn't count because it's only got 44,000 miles.

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
advertisement
D

Deleted member 3748

Yeah, it purrs too. I run that thing hard everyday. Doing a job that's 114 miles each way right now. I hit 90 daily.
P.S. Never did do that ignition switch recall crap either...if it ain't broke...
Are you driving that every day? I drive 180 miles down on Tuesday morning then 180 miles back on Thursday night.

D

Deleted member 3748

It is pretty amazing that those plugs went that long. I would be interested to see what the plug gap is. Now I would just like to see how far can theY go!

I may be a fairly young guy compared to some guys on here but I do have a 67 Ford and had original spark plugs, points,and rotor until 2012. I drove that truck Northwest Arkansas down to North Alabama with original equipment still in it. But I guess that really doesn't count because it's only got 44,000 miles.
I'd like to see a pic of your truck. WHich engine is in it?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It all depends on how you look at it. We'll spend $500 for tires we don't need and thousands on accessories, why not $3.50 to keep a new spark plug in your machine. Why are we even discussing this practically free part. :)
I don't think anybody's saying that spark plugs shouldn't be replaced or spares kept in the kit. But 800 miles certainly seems excessive. You should replace yours if it's bad or if it even just makes you feel better.

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
D

Deleted member 3748

I don't think anybody's saying that spark plugs shouldn't be replaced or spares kept in the kit. But 800 miles certainly seems excessive. You should replace yours if it's bad or if it even just makes you feel better.
I don't even know if I changed it... I was just mentioning things that didn't count as service fees! Stop talking about a spark plug! LOL

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Are you driving that every day? I drive 180 miles down on Tuesday morning then 180 miles back on Thursday night.
I meant the part about 'if it ain't broke don't fix it.' If it ain't broke now, wait til I'm done taking it apart!

I wonder if GM would want to buy that car back from you. They do that some times to see how everything held up.

Yeah, every day. I heard that about GM buying them back. Had a '91 S-10 that had 396,500 mi when I finally gave it up. Body was falling off of it but still ran good, power up a hill, 4wd still worked too. 4.3 was a good motor.

D

Deleted member 3748

Yeah, every day. I heard that about GM buying them back. Had a '91 S-10 that had 396,500 mi when I finally gave it up. Body was falling off of it but still ran good, power up a hill, 4wd still worked too. 4.3 was a good motor.
WHere are you working down state? I'm in Pontiac Tues, Wed, and Thursday.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It's nothing pretty. It's never been restored and it's barely been washed but it was my grandfathers bought new to pull around the fifth wheel camper. My mother learned how to drive in that truck. Granddaddy got to where he couldn't drive a truck without power steering and power brakes and knew that we can use it around our place so now it carries 100 gallon diesel fuel tank and a 50 gallon gasoline tank.

352 Edsel big block, 3 speed "Cruise-O-Matic", drums on all four corners and no sway bar. The windshield washer bag still works and it even still has original headlights with the Ford logo on them. I believe it was $2200 brand-new and I turned down a $7000 offer and a $8000 offer.

A576ea9f5d726a704c0af71bc844050e

5c2574ef0e3416bd2555ff62205e6706

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Sorry to get off topic, I'll clean this up for you guys in a little while if you'd like for me too.

D

Deleted member 3748

That's a sweet truck! I bought my grandpa's 68 Impala from an auction and drove it for over a decade, but recently had to sell it because we moved and it wouldn't fit in our new garage.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!