Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The only non-eth available around our area is 91 octane. I use it everything outside of my vehicles. Outboards, I/O, chainsaws, pressure washer, lawn mowers, and sxs. I don't know if it will fix the OPs shut-off farting, but will prevent having allot of issues with water in the gas.
Yep exactly, me too.

J

JTW

Hate to live where you do. Everybody knows boats need non ethanol premium. It's at every marina on my lake.;)
Why? It's heaven!
The marinas might have it.. I know they have regular conventional. But I'm not paying $5+ a gallon if they do have premium. Regular conventional is usually 75 cents higher than 87 ethanol at the gas station and typically the marinas are a dollar higher than that.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Why? It's heaven!
The marinas might have it.. I know they have regular conventional. But I'm not paying $5+ a gallon if they do have premium. Regular conventional is usually 75 cents higher than 87 ethanol at the gas station and typically the marinas are a dollar higher than that.
You're on your boat, you pull up to the marina and fill it up with non ethanol premium. It's easy.

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
In the great tax state of NY, ethanol 87 is around $2.20/gal, compared to the 91/non-eth of around $2.90/gal.

The one marina on our lake in the ADK's sells expensive 87/eth, so I haul my own gas there, too.

Yea, living next to two lakes would be a shame! ;) I probably would never get any work done. :D

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
In the great tax state of NY, ethanol 87 is around $2.20/gal, compared to the 91/non-eth of around $2.90/gal.

The one marina on our lake in the ADK's sells expensive 87/eth, so I haul my own gas there, too.

Yea, living next to two lakes would be a shame! ;) I probably would never get any work done. :D
That's odd, knowing what ethanol does to small engines, especially very small engines like chainsaws and weed eaters, but particularly outboard motors, I'm surprised your lake marina doesn't proudly sell non eth premium.

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
For anyone without a non ethanol option or who doesn't already know, sta-bil marine 360 fuel treatment has a corrosion inhibitor in it to prevent ethanol damage. I just recently learned about it and have switched from regular sta-bil to the marine version for all my fuel that isn't immediatly used. It's not much difference in price and it goes a long way for the money. I think the bottle I bought will treat more gas than I can use in a year unless I ran it in every tank of gas on both our vehicles too..

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
That's odd, knowing what ethanol does to small engines, especially very small engines like chainsaws and weed eaters, but particularly outboard motors, I'm surprised your lake marina doesn't proudly sell non eth premium.

They use to, but now believe all their gas comes from one tank. They have two pumps w/87 eth for vehicles. On the other hand, when you are the only marina on the lake, I bet ethanol creates some work for them. ;)

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
For anyone without a non ethanol option or who doesn't already know, sta-bil marine 360 fuel treatment has a corrosion inhibitor in it to prevent ethanol damage. I just recently learned about it and have switched from regular sta-bil to the marine version for all my fuel that isn't immediatly used. It's not much difference in price and it goes a long way for the money. I think the bottle I bought will treat more gas than I can use in a year unless I ran it in every tank of gas on both our vehicles too..
Great news, thanks for sharing.

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
They use to, but now believe all their gas comes from one tank. They have two pumps w/87 eth for vehicles. On the other hand, when you are the only marina on the lake, I bet ethanol creates some work for them. ;)
The good news is post 28.

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used to use Sta-Bil but I purchased a new 5 hp Mercury outboard at a steal from Academy last year with no manual. I stopped by Bass Pro in Little Rock and talked with a certified Master Mercury mechanic about how to put the unit in service. He told me that he used to use Sta-Bil but now uses Star brite Star Tron fuel treatment in all his outboards and small engines. He said time has proven it superior to counteract ethanol and extend the usable life of fuel. Bass Pro sells both.

Reactions: Jshell3
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Where I live, it seems like everyone sells this stuff for ethanol treatment. All the motorcycle/powersports dealers, etc. When I bought my (junk) mower a few years ago, the dealer told me to always use this.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-brite-Enzyme-Treatment-Additive/dp/B00EZSPU3U?tag=sxsweb24-20

I can buy the non ethanol gas around here, but I don't anymore. Newer fuel injected vehicles like the P500 are designed to handle 10% ethanol in the gas, so I don't worry about it. And if my weedeater croaks from the ethanol, I'll buy an electric one. haha

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I used to use Sta-Bil but I purchased a new 5 hp Mercury outboard at a steal from Academy last year with no manual. I stopped by Bass Pro in Little Rock and talked with a certified Master Mercury mechanic about how to put the unit in service. He told me that he used to use Sta-Bil but now uses Star brite Star Tron fuel treatment in all his outboards and small engines. He said time has proven it superior to counteract ethanol and extend the usable life of fuel. Bass Pro sells both.
That's hilarious. I was literally typing my last post as you posted this! haha

Reactions: JTW and Jbird
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'll check that out. Thanks J! Btw, will you be at your cabin next weekend, Oct 2/3. We'll be riding the Ouachita's, and you're welcome to join if you'd like.

Reactions: Jbird
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll check that out. Thanks J! Btw, will you be at your cabin next weekend, Oct 2/3. We'll be riding the Ouachita's, and you're welcome to join if you'd like.
Yep we'll be here. Message me where you'll be and when.

Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Casa Grande & Show Low Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
That's good stuff. I use Star Tron in all my toys. Also use 89 octane because over time, fuel sitting will lose some of it's octane. I might not use a machine for weeks or months, with the Star Tron formulated for ethanol, no more worries about stale gas. Suppose to keep fuel fresh for up to 2 years, but that's kind of hard to believe. I also occasionally mix some acetone in my gas for cleaning, better gas mileage, and better engine performance.

advertisement