P500 P500 Summit heater install

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok guys, I'm giving up idea of installing summit heater into P500, it can not be fitted inside cab, and I hate to loose under hood storage space and not be able to stay compact and dont like idea of dragging cargo box on back rack every time on the trail.

If anyone is thinking about doing it under hood space, then I can be a good resource for finding parts and compatibility.
So far to install it under hood you need:

1. summit racing heater - SUM-991102-1
2. 2" defrost kit ( the smallest option they have) - SUM-991104-2
3. Flex Hose Diameter 2.5" - this perfectly goes into heater and attaches to 2.5" Y connector for defrost (it comes with their suggested duct kit, but you can purchase it separately from summit racing)
4. Nostalgic AC (online retailer) - 2.5 inch to 2 inch Duct Hose Adapter (two of those) to connect defrost hoses and 2.5 Inch Duct Hose Y Adapter.
5. Summit racing : Vintage Air Standard Series Louvers 499193 - 2.7" louver VTA-499193 - one peace
6. Aqua hot diverter valve and two of each - 1/"npt to 5/8 barb and 3/4" npt to 1" barb adapters and teflon tape.
7. Hose clamps , two L shape brackets to mount heater and may be 90 degree hose connectors (may vary).

I'm switching gear towards installing in cab aquahot heater.

Last edited:
C

cattaco

Oct 15, 2014
I actually installed this exact heater on my p500 before last winter. I installed in under the hood, and haven't been overly impressed with the heat output. Have to really be running hard to get any heat and even then it's not much. I'm probably going to remove my y's and direct all coolant from engine to heater then to radiator. I just don't think the little 500 makes enough heat.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I actually installed this exact heater on my p500 before last winter. I installed in under the hood, and haven't been overly impressed with the heat output. Have to really be running hard to get any heat and even then it's not much. I'm probably going to remove my y's and direct all coolant from engine to heater then to radiator. I just don't think the little 500 makes enough heat.

The y connections limit flow to the heater, Honda had the 700 heater set up like that and they recalled it and replumbed it like you're talking about.

I had it plumbed inline with an electronic bypass valve and it put out plenty of heat(on a 700)

Reactions: ODAMO
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Please use 4 way valve, I'm planning to use aquahot manual valve with their in cab heater.
Just took a break and now working on DIY skid plate. Just got home and did most busy middle peace , see my post :)

C

cattaco

Oct 15, 2014
That 4 way valve is very expensive and I promise you it will not put out much heat unless most of the coolant is going to the heater. I have the full cab enclosure and you have to shut the heater off and let it warm up or it will blow cold air. I'm going to try and run it inline, I don't see what it could hurt. My 500 never runs warm and I had the radiator completely blocked off last winter and it still ran cool.
IMG 20151031 190644529
IMG 20151031 190701433

Sorry pics are dirty. I use my 500 everyday for work so it gets a lot of use and isn't pampered.

Reactions: solrus
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That 4 way valve is very expensive and I promise you it will not put out much heat unless most of the coolant is going to the heater. I have the full cab enclosure and you have to shut the heater off and let it warm up or it will blow cold air. I'm going to try and run it inline, I don't see what it could hurt. My 500 never runs warm and I had the radiator completely blocked off last winter and it still ran cool.
View attachment 7270 View attachment 7271

Sorry pics are dirty. I use my 500 everyday for work so it gets a lot of use and isn't pampered.

I'm glad you pointed it and yes, I'm very curious about inline position and heat output test. As I pointed earlier, I did not see any extra internal circle to cool engine (except small 5 or less mm tube that connects intake with thermostat) like in P700 or P1000, so indeed P500 does not put a lot of heat.

And awesome pics, I was wondering how bad dust gets inside and was planning to hide summit heater inside of underhood storage box and cut out opening and put regular round air filter to clean air before it goes via heater and then inside cab.

Reactions: dominator
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Ok guys, I'm giving up idea of installing summit heater into P500, it can not be fitted inside cab, and I hate to loose under hood storage space and not be able to stay compact and dont like idea of dragging cargo box on back rack every time on the trail.

If anyone is thinking about doing it under hood space, then I can be a good resource for finding parts and compatibility.
So far to install it under hood you need:

1. summit racing heater - SUM-991102-1
2. 2" defrost kit ( the smallest option they have) - SUM-991104-2
3. Flex Hose Diameter 2.5" - this perfectly goes into heater and attaches to 2.5" Y connector for defrost (it comes with their suggested duct kit, but you can purchase it separately from summit racing)
4. Nostalgic AC (online retailer) - 2.5 inch to 2 inch Duct Hose Adapter (two of those) to connect defrost hoses and 2.5 Inch Duct Hose Y Adapter.
5. Summit racing : Vintage Air Standard Series Louvers 499193 - 2.7" louver VTA-499193 - one peace
6. Aqua hot diverter valve and two of each - 1/"npt to 5/8 barb and 3/4" npt to 1" barb adapters and teflon tape.
7. Hose clamps , two L shape brackets to mount heater and may be 90 degree hose connectors (may vary).

I'm switching gear towards installing in cab aquahot heater.

What about using all of that wasted space under the drivers seat???
There is literally a 14"x14"x14" cube of unused area under that seat, run the plumbing off right near the engine and put the ductwork into the center of plastic wall that runs up the back of your lower legs above and beside the parking brake lever, may not help with de-frosting the windshield but it should put out enough heat into the cab to make a difference.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is literally a 14"x14"x14" cube of unused area under that seat, run the plumbing off right near the engine and put the ductwork into the center of plastic wall that runs up the back of your lower legs above and beside the parking brake lever, may not help with de-frosting the windshield but it should put out enough heat into the cab to make a difference.

A lot of dust and dirt and water in that area, is a big problem I see.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
A lot of dust and dirt and water in that area, is a big problem I see.

I agree the left rear tire throws "stuff" into that area but a fabricated plastic shield could avert most of that mud & dust. now if you use the P500 as a SEALS mini sub that too could be a concern but I would hope the electronics are sealed.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I did look into that too, was going to use plastic bin with lid to enclose it, but had to come out with very good support bracket, since the summit heater is very heavy and could fall out on any jump

advertisement
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did look into that too, was going to use plastic bin with lid to enclose it, but had to come out with very good support bracket, since the summit heater is very heavy and could fall out on any jump

Just installed Aquahot heater, not connected yet, just all ready for plumbing for the next time at the shop. Want badly to get out and drive it, so heater will wait. Pics are not good , sorry

Attachments

• IMG_1788.JPG
    IMG_1788.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_1789.JPG
    IMG_1789.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_1790.JPG
    IMG_1790.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 347
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Oh hell! Can a guy just get the dealer to install a heater?

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, 75-90$ an hour, at least 4-5 hours if they know what they are doing.

Just take your time, this could be done staged at your leisure time. All have been tested, you know what hoses and where to avoid problems, its not like you inventing wheel again.

Dont even put summit heater, to my testing its way too high output heater , P500 not capable of producing so much heat, but aquahot and their valve that what I think best existing combo for P500 heating system. You might find similar type of valve for less.
I'm very happy with aquahot now, puts some warming heat and its comfortable to ride under 20 mph with subzero temps after you warm up it well.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!