Reactions: Hondasxs
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After thinking and reading. I was all day confused by some advices that if I put heater inline order then I will overheat machine due to possible slowing down of the flow via heater.

But after some research it turned out not to be true at all and also there is a valve that has partial flow deviation (10/90%) - aquahot mechical vavle.

I spend good hour with tech support for oldair electric and cable valve and then with aquahot tech support.

Oldair guy told me that they dont have any bypass mechanism if valve is broken (if valve is clogged or server motor went nuts then I have to fix valve) , but aquahot valve has a small opening that still let coolant bypass heater to radiator about 10% leak if the valve opened towards heater.

I've ordered all valves and adapters , and once have them in hand will see how they work and reliable :).

Stayed tuned :). More to come. :). Will post final install and tests in couple weeks. Now got two doors today and will start cabin isolation .

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Upload 2015 10 18 21 51 25

Reactions: Buryit and solrus
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Could you please verify from your tech
P500 factory cooling system q
source what is this part of cooling system ? Is it analogue of oil cooling system as for p700 (aka internal cooling loop, that circulate before thermostat opens)?

That small circle loop is composed of small rubber 2" piece and 6" metal tube with rubber adapter. Diameter ~ 8-10 mm, very small to effectively create good pressure for a heater loop.

The solution is to put heat insulation on steel tube going under passenger seat and splice near radiator. Because any valve near thermostat I'm afraid will melt from exhaust pipe heat.

Last edited:
Buryit

Buryit

Sep 18, 2015
National Forest, NW AR
I always just used a Mr. Heater product that burns 99% and could move it up into deer stand with me but can see how in cold weather long hours another source is needed.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I always just used a Mr. Heater product that burns 99% and could move it up into deer stand with me but can see how in cold weather long hours another source is needed.

I'm almost there guys :), waiting for 2" defroster kit from summit, since 3" recommended will not fit on the driver side. Got bunch of parts, half of them will be returned. Electronic Valve from old air looks cool and actually also permits some flow when closed. Will comapre with aqua hot mechanical valve and then start installation and testing. Glad that 100 mile oil change also just came up, so my P500 stays "naked" in my garage :). all plastic panels and skid plates down.

Reactions: Buryit
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Ok, some update, I think I'm getting obsessed and possessed by this heater idea, more then working on skid plate :).

Got summit heater and no way it can be placed in cabin in P500, P500 too small for it. Two options left
1. as most guys put under hood, very tight but doable.
2. Call me crazy or may be innovative :), but there is a huge space under driver's seat. I can easily put a heat resistant plastic box there and put heater inside , but two questions need to be answered,
A. air intake ( yes it can suck air from under seat space, or i can put air intake tube sort of snokel kit and even use filter in the system to suck not dusty air or route into cabin, etc).

B. Air outflow - option 1 - just plug two vents into vertical panel underseat --> very warm , but no defrost option, or use PVC pipe and route under cabin to the front - complicated due to space limitation and diameter of PVC.

Frustrated :).

Still want heater.

Does anyone care about defrost option??? Who has heaters with or without defrost???? ANy big difference????

Shoot, I even not sure now if this engine will put enough heat to warm up that summit or other heaters. :)

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Which Mr Heater product do you use? :). I did not give up yet, but need something for this weekend opening elk season.

Buryit

Buryit

Sep 18, 2015
National Forest, NW AR

The big one also hooks to full size tank for tree stand but the little one is easier to handle. Neither work as well as on vehicle set up but since I drive slow it worked.

advertisement
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 6968

The big one also hooks to full size tank for tree stand but the little one is easier to handle. Neither work as well as on vehicle set up but since I drive slow it worked.

I just found this pic with installed posted by Clayshutr from ranger club.

Attachments

• 100_1421_zps7d771dd7.jpg
    100_1421_zps7d771dd7.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 538
  • 100_1425_zps85f9604f.jpg
    100_1425_zps85f9604f.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 609
Buryit

Buryit

Sep 18, 2015
National Forest, NW AR
Use that bigger one to heat my motor home while in woods with a big tank (used hose adapter shown above) and they work well. Of course I had a co2 detector as well as leaving small crack in roof vent just for safety.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Use that bigger one to heat my motor home while in woods with a big tank (used hose adapter shown above) and they work well. Of course I had a co2 detector as well as leaving small crack in roof vent just for safety.

If summit heater not going to fit with defrost , then I'm moving to testing aquahot 200 brand, less btu but very compact in-cabin option. Will post.

Reactions: Buryit
J

jay dawge

Oct 6, 2015
I like the mr heater Idea, inexpensive, small and easy to set up. so here is my questions, could you cut a pc of plywood in the shape of the passenger floorboard and mount it to the bottom of the mr heater? if I am plowing, is it gonna shut the heater off each time I push the snow into the bank (is it really sensitive to shock or minor tipping)? Does it cause condensation on the windshield?

Buryit

Buryit

Sep 18, 2015
National Forest, NW AR
The tip switch could be an issue as well as condensation now that you mention it. Pretty sure the manual tip switch could be tie wired in place but haven't opened this particular model as I have others. Mounting that way would be key so it could be removed easy.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, finally got 1.875" defrot kit (stock is 2.5"), way better :). Looks like now everything should fit under hood space.

Before installing , will just route heater and see how much heat it makes . Here is few pics of vent tubing layout.

Just tested vent on full speed + HID kit + winch , Voltmeter dropped from 14.5 V to 13 V. I think its good sign.

Attachments

• IMG_20151021_204908_843.jpg
    IMG_20151021_204908_843.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_20151021_204925_844.jpg
    IMG_20151021_204925_844.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_20151021_204932_113.jpg
    IMG_20151021_204932_113.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Seems like a lot of work..I might just look at seat heaters-LOL

Agree. Not easy. I will try to simplify this as much as possible. The hard thing to find all parts, there is no single kit. I will email summit if they can come up with smaller defrost kit and louvers and adapters. Tested electric valve last night, it was a disaster (we had an air in the system and did not want to pass via that valve and the coolant was gushing all over :), it was a green shower :), I'm not coming back, going with manual, simple and easy to control and bigger diameter 3/4 not 5/8 for main channel.

and its heavy :), heavy means reliable :)

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Agree. Not easy. I will try to simplify this as much as possible. The hard thing to find all parts, there is no single kit. I will email summit if they can come up with smaller defrost kit and louvers and adapters. Tested electric valve last night, it was a disaster (we had an air in the system and did not want to pass via that valve and the coolant was gushing all over :), it was a green shower :), I'm not coming back, going with manual, simple and easy to control and bigger diameter 3/4 not 5/8 for main channel.

and its heavy :), heavy means reliable :)

Not always

Teardown: Beats Headphones Contain Less Than $17 Worth Of Parts

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Seems like a lot of work..I might just look at seat heaters-LOL

Once more option you should strongly consider, at least I will it this idea with summit turns bad.

Buy and install two heaters : aquahot in cabin , very simple , only route inside cabin (no defrost makes it very simple) and second is - electric defrost portable on ebay for 20$ from china.

I found this set up on ranger forum, here is the link : Midsize Heater Install

- electric defrost ebay: 12V 12 Volt Ceramic Car Van Fan Heater Heating Warmer Window Defroster Demister
12V 12 Volt Ceramic Car Van Fan Heater Heating Warmer Window Defroster Demister

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!