P500 P500 Summit heater install

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Since I could not find detailed guide of heater install on P500, I want to create this post and collect all knowledge from those who installed heaters and apply it for P500.
Those who already installed heaters on P500, please share detailed scheme where you connected, what size hoses, adapters and bypass valves (their location). Basically from A-Z instructions.
I think I stuck now with what hoses, adapters and where to start to connect.

After taking off skid plate, engine has only one cooling loop (engine-->radiator--> engine). No accessory second loop like in a regular car that belongs to heater.

Outflow hose connects to metal pipe that is attached to the frame and goes under cabin and exists under the hood space where second rubber hose connects to upper "inflow" connection of the radiator, then lower "outflow" hose connects another parallel pipe, that exists into engine compartment and there transits into rubber hose that connects to engine.

Now fun part is where and how to connect the system? Please see my scheme and advice which way is more efficient and right way to do.

As for me I would prefer to make all splicing and valve insertion at section 3 (see pic), which is under hood , its roomy and if anything leaks, I don't need to crawl under P500 and dissemble it. Somebody posted that splicing should be undertaken to the closest point of exiting point from engine. To me , I doubt there will be much heat lost going through 1 foot section of rubber hose and 2 foot section of steel pipe and another couple feet of other connections.

So far I've got
1. Summit heater
Summit Racing® Automotive Heaters SUM-991102-1
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-991102-1
Summit Racing SUM-991104 - Summit Racing® Heater Defroster Kits

Old Air Products 50-1555 - Electronic Bypass Heater Valve

Attachments

• 4_Port_Flow.jpg
    4_Port_Flow.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 527
  • P500 cooling systeme.jpg
    P500 cooling systeme.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not sure but I would assume as close to the engine as possible that's how Honda had you connect the Honda heater on the 700. That should be a logical comparison for the 500 but you are assuming a number of things are all equal.

Reactions: Buryit
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not sure but I would assume as close to the engine as possible that's how Honda had you connect the Honda heater on the 700. That should be a logical comparison for the 500 but you are assuming a number of things are all equal.

A. So what I draw is ok and correct? Should I connect at the section 1 or 3 ?

B. If I close the valve and redirect all flow to the heater, but will not turn the vent on, will the engine overheat?

C. Does the 4 way valve allow partial flow to the heater and radiator?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A. The shorter the connection is between the heater and engine the hotter the coolant will be and the more heat you produce.

B. The valve should be installed so it cuts the heater core out of the loop not the radiator or any existing part of the system. If the flow is not restricted then if you direct coolant to the heater core you are for all intents and purposes adding a smaller secondary radiator. I actually benefited from this after I clogged my radiator going through a waterhole the heater core was enough to keep it from over heating (it did get warmer than normal on a cool night) until I could get it back to clear the radiator. I would not advise NOT using the Honda radiator that is asking for trouble.

C. Yes, sort of. By design it is at the mercy of the internal shapes and path of least resistance. You would really need a multi valve setup to get a true variable flow. It's really more intended for ALL/SOME/NO flow situations with the some being somewhat variable.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A. The shorter the connection is between the heater and engine the hotter the coolant will be and the more heat you produce.

B. The valve should be installed so it cuts the heater core out of the loop not the radiator or any existing part of the system. If the flow is not restricted then if you direct coolant to the heater core you are for all intents and purposes adding a smaller secondary radiator. I actually benefited from this after I clogged my radiator going through a waterhole the heater core was enough to keep it from over heating (it did get warmer than normal on a cool night) until I could get it back to clear the radiator. I would not advise NOT using the Honda radiator that is asking for trouble.

C. Yes, sort of. By design it is at the mercy of the internal shapes and path of least resistance. You would really need a multi valve setup to get a true variable flow. It's really more intended for ALL/SOME/NO flow situations with the some being somewhat variable.

So my scheme is not correct then? The way the flow goes in my scheme is first via heater then to radiator then back to engine.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Correct engine valve to heater to radiator

Engine to valve to radiator to engine.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya. Looks good to me.

Will it be ok to Prestone 50/50 antifreeze and not Honda to add up ? They gave different colors , but not sure if color has any meaning except that is specific to a brand.

advertisement
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The one from Amazon.com has the chemicals Honda recommends.

Did you use Y or T connectors , I watched few youtube videos and most of them use Y connectors. Connection as option 1 ( see pic) - engine -- > Y connector than divide flow into radiator and heater ( this is called parallel circuits) and then from radiator --> another Y that functions as outflow for a heater.

I think for efficiency sake , 4 way valve is the best option and better flow (consequent connection engine --> heater --> then radiator) , only one problem I see if the valve stop working. Then the circuit is broken.

Attachments

• heater options with Y.jpg
    heater options with Y.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 361
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
The Y connectors will give you better flow.
I would not bypassing the radiator like that.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Y connectors will give you better flow.
I would not bypassing the radiator like that.

If I use Y connectors then should I connect like #1 (heater inflow from radiator inflow line and then heater outflow into radiator inflow line) or #2 ( heater outflow into radiator outflow line) ? see image above. And then where I should plug 4 way valve?

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can someone draw exact scheme with Y connectors and 4 way valve if they used it and how they are plumed? I still dont have definite answer .

Here is what I come with now based on high and low pressure and resistance

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Solrus, I think you may be the first to do the 500. It's going to take trial and error.

First you need a picture of the coolant flow chart out of the service manual.
Can anyone post this?

Than make a plan off that. The location of the valve will be based off available location more then anything.

Your first drawing is what I need to be using.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can someone draw exact scheme with Y connectors and 4 way valve if they used it and how they are plumed? I still dont have definite answer .

Here is what I come with now based on high and low pressure and resistance

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Solrus, I think you may be the first to do the 500. It's going to take trial and error.

Can anyone post this?

Than make a plan off that. The location of the valve will be based off available location more then anything.

Attachments

• heater v 2.png
    heater v 2.png
    590.4 KB · Views: 401
  • heater v 2.jpg
    heater v 2.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 374
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Can anyone post this?

In my very first draw where I used only 4 way valve, I think the heater will have high resistance to the flow (since smaller diameter tubes) if I connect them in consequent way.

Man , I need a good plummer :). Anybody!!??? :)

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!