BOX1

P500 P500 Tracks, 3 year experience

NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
I spent the big bucks 3 years ago and bought a set of Kimpex WSS4 tracks. Here’s my latest impressions and advice. The good: They give all the mobility and flotation on snow one could ever need. They got two of us out on the lake over drifts and ridges without trouble. They make the P500 into a capable little tracked wonder. Here is the bad: I’m in my sixties, have some arthritis issues and kneeling is difficult. 1. Tracks are not easy to install if you have physical issues. If you remove all mounting brackets, its a lot of work on and off, they don’t align easily. 2. they are very difficult to steer without power steering. 3. the tracks provide no cushioning like air filled tires do. The ride is greatly compromised. 4. The little 475 engine is taking a beating always at high rpm’s. This will likely cause premature wear. 5. I’m sure it is hard on the clutch as the machine is really over worked. It shifts up and down constantly, often very noisily. Also, the tracks give a lot of leverage on the steering components that doesn’t happen with wheels. 6. Tracks throw a lot of snow. Even with the roof, soft enclosure and doors, snow comes in to the cab. 7. I just sold my tracks, lesson learned. Don’t get me wrong, they perform well but at a cost. I would NEVER buy a used machine from someone who has been running tracks for any longer time. Hope this helps those with visions of grandeur that tracks are the way to go.

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
I spent the big bucks 3 years ago and bought a set of Kimpex WSS4 tracks. Here’s my latest impressions and advice. The good: They give all the mobility and flotation on snow one could ever need. They got two of us out on the lake over drifts and ridges without trouble. They make the P500 into a capable little tracked wonder. Here is the bad: I’m in my sixties, have some arthritis issues and kneeling is difficult. 1. Tracks are not easy to install if you have physical issues. If you remove all mounting brackets, its a lot of work on and off, they don’t align easily. 2. they are very difficult to steer without power steering. 3. the tracks provide no cushioning like air filled tires do. The ride is greatly compromised. 4. The little 475 engine is taking a beating always at high rpm’s. This will likely cause premature wear. 5. I’m sure it is hard on the clutch as the machine is really over worked. It shifts up and down constantly, often very noisily. Also, the tracks give a lot of leverage on the steering components that doesn’t happen with wheels. 6. Tracks throw a lot of snow. Even with the roof, soft enclosure and doors, snow comes in to the cab. 7. I just sold my tracks, lesson learned. Don’t get me wrong, they perform well but at a cost. I would NEVER buy a used machine from someone who has been running tracks for any longer time. Hope this helps those with visions of grandeur that tracks are the way to go.
Did you have power steering on your machine? How long did it take to install/remove the tracks? Did the tracks allow you to go places that you couldn't have gotten without them? Sorry for the rapid fire questions and thanks for posting your experience(s)!

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Thank you for the well thought out post on Tracks. I think a lot of us have entertained getting some for various reasons. This makes a lot of sense, but I'm sure you still see there is a place and time for them.

Great info to chew on!

Rob

NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
Did you have power steering on your machine? How long did it take to install/remove the tracks? Did the tracks allow you to go places that you couldn't have gotten without them? Sorry for the rapid fire questions and thanks for posting your experience(s)!
No power steering. After the first assembly and installation, it takes me about 1.5-2hours to install and about 1.25 to remove. Granted I’m quite mechanically inclined but bodily hurting. The Kimpex WSS4 tracks were chosen because they are Canadian made, the individual bearings can be replaced instead of the complete wheels and no steering limiter is needed. On tracks, it will go anywhere and further than a wide track snowmobile. My biggest reason for selling was that I felt that they will put extreme rapid wear on the P500. A 475 is way under powered for tracks though it will turn them. A Honda Civic will pull a camper trailer but at a cost…Same thing in my opinion.

NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
No power steering. After the first assembly and installation, it takes me about 1.5-2hours to install and about 1.25 to remove. Granted I’m quite mechanically inclined but bodily hurting. The Kimpex WSS4 tracks were chosen because they are Canadian made, the individual bearings can be replaced instead of the complete wheels and no steering limiter is needed. On tracks, it will go anywhere and further than a wide track snowmobile. My biggest reason for selling was that I felt that they will put extreme rapid wear on the P500. A 475 is way under powered for tracks though it will turn them. A Honda Civic will pull a camper trailer but at a cost…Same thing in my opinion.
Also, now that I am yakking away…The tracks were all season so I took them hunting in fall. Every bump or small log that I ran over transmitted a loud “BANG” through the suspension. They stick out the back close to 2 feet behind the shell hub (not so much in the front) The steering and suspension is not meant to take the amount nor leverage that would occur if you were to clip a tree or rock giving extended leverage on the components. So, yes, they work well in a very limited, cautious capacity.

Jlojub

Jlojub

Jan 3, 2021
Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
First year on mine and find them quite useful. More hp would be nice but we bought a small machine for a reason. I don’t go very far or fast but maintain a trail on my property,get firewood and pull kids around. Have not needed power steering yet but agree it would be nice.
Camso utv 4s1 bought used.

7B30000B 480F 4F4A AB86 1C92DC371894

scottn57

scottn57

Sep 14, 2013
Buffalo, NY
First year on mine and find them quite useful. More hp would be nice but we bought a small machine for a reason. I don’t go very far or fast but maintain a trail on my property,get firewood and pull kids around. Have not needed power steering yet but agree it would be nice.
Camso utv 4s1 bought used.

View attachment 321401
I’m looking at adding the 4s1 tracks to my P500- can you please let me know how wide the tracks are? Do you have them with the factory kit, or with a conversion kit? I’ve got about 64” of width on my trailer…

NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
I’m looking at adding the 4s1 tracks to my P500- can you please let me know how wide the tracks are? Do you have them with the factory kit, or with a conversion kit? I’ve got about 64” of width on my trailer…
I'm going by memory but pretty sure the set up was 62 inches wide in total. I used the complete setup kit provided by Kimpex with the tracks. The front set go on quicker and easier than the rear. If the rear supplied mounting bracket is left in place it would also speed things but the bracket hangs down a lot and reduces clearance when on wheels and is vulnerable to rocks.

Jlojub

Jlojub

Jan 3, 2021
Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
I was just about to put them on for the year and we got an inch of rain and more in the forecast. Can let you know when I put them on. It will be right around the 62-64 mark if I remember right

scottn57

scottn57

Sep 14, 2013
Buffalo, NY
I was just about to put them on for the year and we got an inch of rain and more in the forecast. Can let you know when I put them on. It will be right around the 62-64 mark if I remember right
Thanks! It really helps to have actual measurements as things can vary a bit from the spec sheets when it's all bolted together.

I'm wondering if I'd be better off with the newer Camso X4S track system made for bigger ATVs/Smaller UTVs... it is a couple inches narrower and quite a bit lighter than the 4. I'm wondering if it might be a bit easier for the little 475 to turn? There would be less flotation, but with the lighter/smaller 500 it might be fine.

happyfred

happyfred

Mar 20, 2019
NY
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks! It really helps to have actual measurements as things can vary a bit from the spec sheets when it's all bolted together.

I'm wondering if I'd be better off with the newer Camso X4S track system made for bigger ATVs/Smaller UTVs... it is a couple inches narrower and quite a bit lighter than the 4. I'm wondering if it might be a bit easier for the little 475 to turn? There would be less flotation, but with the lighter/smaller 500 it might be fine.
If you do, please let us know.
I'm in western NY too and have been interested in tracks for one of my machines.
Not just for snow but the pulling power when I get logs out of the woods.

scottn57

scottn57

Sep 14, 2013
Buffalo, NY
I'm in western NY too and have been interested in tracks for one of my machines.
Will do. With the 6’+ Lake effect storms and blizzards it’d be nice to be able to get around in something with a winch, as well as to help out in the sugarbush. Since I’ve got the Torqlocker it goes great with the Bighorn 26”s up to a point- should go about everywhere else with some tracks.

Jlojub

Jlojub

Jan 3, 2021
Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
If I was buying new I definitely would have went with the x4s for sure. These are huge on this machine and overkill I’m pretty sure. They were local and a good deal as they were lightly used. They came off a teryx 1000 4 seater. The flotation is unreal but the trade off is hp and turning radius. I usually made a trail towing an 8’ pallet then stayed on it so the extra flotation is not really required.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Nice late Saturday afternoon changed quick. Riding partner on Skido & I on P500 EPS with tracks 15 miles back in woods pulled into a clearing about 4pm.
Chatted & enjoying the sights he decided to take the long way back 12 MILE circle , I'll go back the way we came & start dinner.
He left started my P500 touched the accelerator ( nightmare ) instantly the front of the machine dropped about 5ft..40 degree angle down, back tacks barely sticking out of the hole.
Alone setting in the cab in the seat with the snow up to my shoulders just to get out of the cab is going be a problem.
I've had sleds stuck this bad wasn't fun getting them out.
With tracks on it weights about 1500lbs.+ or - always hopped this would never happen but new it could.
What to do & not make a bad situation worse?
WINCH is on the front at the bottom of a 5ft. Hole in a clearing.( not much help )
Try to back out???
Dig out of the cab with my hands crawl out a window? I carry a shovel it's in the back.( now a 3 piece emergency shovel is in the cab )
When riding partner gets back to camp he'll come looking. Ahh help. Going to be dark by then.
Just sat there for a few minutes perplexed contemplating my next move.
If I could try to rock back & forth maybe the back would settle a down little pack down help level off. Yep that's it. ( doesn't work get up early tomorrow dig it out )
Low range 1st. Gear with both front tracks having traction ( TorQ Locker ) both rear tracks have traction Honda locked rear this could work.
Be careful do not spin the tracks ( don't want to high center & add to the problem.
Start the (Little Red B!TCH ) 1st gear low range ready set try : Next thing I know I'm looking at the Sky at about 40 degree angle still in the 5ft. Hole with rear tracks at the bottom. ( at least the winch is useable )
That worked try again sure enough never strained just popped out of that hole as if only a bump in the trail. ( never spun a track or got out of the cab )
The bad no one around to document with pictures. Was not going back for 2nds.
I did get out to look at a P500 Hole.
Impressive what these little machines can do when the need arises.

Convinced Without TorQ Locker it would have been Nightmare & at least 1/2 day recovery.
Retrieved old post: above hope it helps
Location Aderondack Mts.
Track & adapter system </> Camso T4S </> weihgt houvers around 400lbs.
64in wide on P500
Enclosed CAB & EPS </> almost a Must Haves.
Without Cab </> doesn't take long </> seating area Will Fill Snow unless riding hard pack
No EPS </> Long Rides much more Pleasant

Last edited:
scottn57

scottn57

Sep 14, 2013
Buffalo, NY
Have you checked out the Ranch Road Homestead video?

According to Ranch Road Homestead the Camso X4S measures out to 58.5"wide. According to the Camso docs the width offset is 6" for non-Polaris models, which would seem to indicate it should be 62" on a Pioneer 500.

I'm hoping to @Jlojub can get an actual measurement with the 4S1. The docs list the width offset at 7" which would put it at 64", but maybe it's 3" less on the P500 as well?

Last edited:
scottn57

scottn57

Sep 14, 2013
Buffalo, NY
So finally put them and shower curtains on for winter ops. Rear width is 60” front has some toe out that makes it about 61.5” at front of tracks.
length is about 134”
Hope that helps

View attachment 370672
That does- thanks! It would fit, but I think I’m going with the x4s- saves quite a bit of weight, less expensive, will hopefully be a bit easier to turn. I’m hoping it can still do great in deep snow- after all the 4s1s weigh 140 lbs more and fit sleds that weigh 700lbs more- seems like overkill (Hopefully).

I appreciate the measurement- goes to show the official offset figure doesn’t precisely define the real world width on a particular vehicle.

scottn57

scottn57

Sep 14, 2013
Buffalo, NY
For S’s and G’s I created a table that shows the lbs/sq inch for the Pioneer 500 with X4S vs machines with a 4SI, estimating the gear, gas, person at 350 lbs. Lower is better for flotation. The P500 with 4SI was the tops of course, but the P500 with X4S was better than all but the Ranger 800s. It was better than most by a bigger percentage than what the P500 w/4SI was over the P500 w/ X4S. I think it should do just fine, but the 4SI must be pretty great for flotation on such a light machine. With a bit less rotational weight with the X4S it should be able to turn them a bit better. I’ll document once I have them on and we get good snow again. I’m guessing it’s going to be an arm workout with the tracks, Torq locker, and no power steering, but it should be able to go through the white stuff pretty good.

Update- Also, the lugs are a little taller on the X4S: 1.25” vs 1.125 which should make up a little for the smaller footprint.

49680DF3 7AB4 4741 B4FF 550AA950052F

Last edited:
T

The_Frontiersmn

Dec 10, 2022
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500

I ran mine on X4S tracks January through April with no issues other than some heavy pulling after a severe snowstorm at the beginning of April, but that snow was both deep and wet so pretty much any machine would have been working hard. There was one other tangentially related issue. That sticky wet snow built up on the air intake to the point that I was losing power a little so a snorkel might be a significant plus in such conditions. Also, I ran it in manual mode as long as the tracks were on as I didn't trust the computer to know when to shift with tracks.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!