P500 P500 Valve adjustment

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Charged 84$ . Intake valve was a bit off.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
hobbytrucker

hobbytrucker

Jun 14, 2016
digby ns
Ownership

1. 500
My intake was out quite a bit the exhaust was ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lburou
RDRC

RDRC

Jul 31, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Just checked the P500 valves for the first time(1400 miles). Intake was slightly loose, probably could have let it alone but after going thru the trouble to get at them, I tweaked it. Exhaust was right on. I wasn't having any noise or starting problems, just thought I would check them. I don't plan to check them again unless a problem crops up. Definitely a PITA.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Just checked the P500 valves for the first time(1400 miles). Intake was slightly loose, probably could have let it alone but after going thru the trouble to get at them, I tweaked it. Exhaust was right on. I wasn't having any noise or starting problems, just thought I would check them. I don't plan to check them again unless a problem crops up. Definitely a PITA.
Definitely agree with the last line!!

doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
Completely agree that checking valves is a PITA! I just fired my bike up and oh boy. We have valve racket. I may bring it to the dealer. I just want to be done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Completely agree that checking valves is a PITA! I just fired my bike up and oh boy. We have valve racket. I may bring it to the dealer. I just want to be done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
What'd you do doolin, make it worse??

doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
What'd you do doolin, make it worse??
Yes! Going to give it another try tomorrow night. I think we may have slightly off from TDC. It looked like we were there. We could see the T and _ but it must have been off a hair.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes! Going to give it another try tomorrow night. I think we may have slightly off from TDC. It looked like we were there. We could see the T and _ but it must have been off a hair.
Yeah, see that's the reason I've never attempted it. If it starts good, runs good and isn't making noise, I'll not do anything with mine. I don't even have confidence with the dealership. When I asked them a year ago, they hadn't even adjusted the valves on a P5.

doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
I'm hoping they've at least adjusted them on a Foreman...or whichever Honda atv has this motor.

I thought mine seemed to chug a bit too much to turn over. Yesterday when I went to fire this up for the first time since the adjustment, it turned over real fast. Success! Till I heard the clickety clack. I believe my valves were really tight and now I made them too loose. [HASHTAG]#shouldhaveleftitalone[/HASHTAG]

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm hoping they've at least adjusted them on a Foreman...or whichever Honda atv has this motor.

I thought mine seemed to chug a bit too much to turn over. Yesterday when I went to fire this up for the first time since the adjustment, it turned over real fast. Success! Till I heard the clickety clack. I believe my valves were really tight and now I made them too loose. [HASHTAG]#shouldhaveleftitalone[/HASHTAG]
That's what it sounds like. Just be sure you start that dude at the dealership before you pay for the service and drive off!

doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
Where abouts on motor is the spot where you can spin the crank instead of using the tire method. These darn Honda motors confound me.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Where abouts on motor is the spot where you can spin the crank instead of using the tire method. These darn Honda motors confound me.
Hell if I know, I've not attempted it. We quit having to adjust valves on cars 40-50 years ago. This and the stupid oil filter arrangement is my two chief gripes about the P5. I'm surprised we don't have points and condensers to contend with as well.

Razorback

Razorback

Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2015
Van Buren, AR
Ownership

1. Talon X
Which port is intake or exhaust? Didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Haven't done this yet...but here is a pic of the access plate to rotate the crank. Didn't see a pic of it in the thread...

Crank hole cover

Saw it on the back of the engine and said Hmmmm...
Confirmed with a 2014-2016 Foreman 500 FSM that this is what its for. Looks like tight access on a 500, but i ain't skeerd...
Prob a 17mm in there on the crank.

I am thinking it looks easy to remove the rear fenders/rack (looks like maybe 8 bolts/2 clips) to get straighter view of the timing hole while also tilting the batt box away?

I've already been down to the valve caps to investigate a coolant leak. Typica Honda with 8,000,000,000,000 plastic rivets taking most of the time.

This may stun everyone, but i got no owners manual with my machine. Where can i find one...maybe in PDF?

Also, I've found a paper version of the service manual, but I'm thinking that after decades and prob 10 thick, expensive books, i may just go digital on this one. Anyone know where i can get a PDF FSM?

One caution on the adjuster locknuts:
The manual states something like 13 foot pounds as @Code54 said (approx 156 inch pounds). My experience with these has shown that repeated torquing of these to the FSM level will strip them. Most of you seem determined to NOT adjust your valves, so this won't be an issue. But for those who do, be aware...

...Other manuals for different machines I've owned have the torque listed from 144-150 inch pounds, but even at the minimum, they eventually stripped. I ultimately settled at 130 inch pounds and had no further issues.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Did mine today. Both were loose, esp the exhaust.

Yes, this is a bit of a pain. I think its just a consequence of using an engine that was never meant for SxS duty. That silly battery box is a big part. After taking some wire clips loose, i was able to move it completely out of the view of the timing hole. Yes, the captured "nut" on the battery box spun and had to be wedged to break loose (SURPRISE!).

I also used the cover i mentioned above to rotate the engine (clockwise, viewed from the rear). It's a 17mm. The valve access caps are 24mm.

Someone mentioned that they thought the airbox would need to be removed. I don't know if this is necessary, but the improved access is worth the small amount of work needed IMO ( I already pulled the rear rack/fenders for the job).

Again...that battery box is simply in the WRONG place. Tight in there too; Gonna be a pain when i add the winch (somebody had installed a trickle charger plug).

All in all, nothing too earth shattering...just a lot of rivets as usual.

BuckCreek01

BuckCreek01

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2018
Griffin Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
I'm not comfortable doing a valve adjustment on a new machine or in general. This puts me in a tough spot because I do not trust the dealer to do it correctly. What do you all think I should do? Take it to the dealer or just run it without adjustment?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm not comfortable doing a valve adjustment on a new machine or in general. This puts me in a tough spot because I do not trust the dealer to do it correctly. What do you all think I should do? Take it to the dealer or just run it without adjustment?
It doesn’t need to be adjusted unless you hear them, or it’s slow starting. I’ve got 3,000 miles on mine without having adjusted. People have 20 year old Honda ATV’s all over that have never been adjusted.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!