BOX1

P500 P500 WHEEL SPACERS RIDE?

Steve00

Steve00

Feb 15, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Will adding 1.5" wheel spacers improve my ride on whoops that much better? Also, is there a REAL difference in ride between 1.5" and 2" spacers in ride?

When wheel spacers come in "I ordered 1.5" I'm also going to remove the sway bar I'm hoping no sway bar and 1.5 all 4 wheels I can save myself from THE TORCHER CHAMBER! AKA p500 lol

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Will adding 1.5" wheel spacers improve my ride on whoops that much better? Also, is there a REAL difference in ride between 1.5" and 2" spacers in ride?

When wheel spacers come in "I ordered 1.5" I'm also going to remove the sway bar I'm hoping no sway bar and 1.5 all 4 wheels I can save myself from THE TORCHER CHAMBER! AKA p500 lol
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see how spacers are going to improve the ride quality at all. They will help you keep it on all four wheels in corners or off camber stuff. Hopefully I will learn something watching others reply though.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Spacers will not change the ride as far as smoothness goes . NOTHING will really , it's a Pioneer 500 . It is what it is . That being said .
Disconnecting the sway bar and lowering your air pressure will be the biggest ride improvement you can do for a smoother ride .
The good news is . BOTH FREE

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I can kinda see how you might think it would make your suspension softer, being the wheel would be 1.5" farther away from the hinge point where the a-arms bolt to the frame, the suspension would have to offer a slightly softer ride. It would make the suspension easier to compress, just like a wrench with a longer handle will break a bolt loose easier than a wrench with a short handle. Also, the long travel a-arm kit requires aftermarket shocks I believe because the stock shocks get compressed too far from the extra leverage of the longer arms, so spacers would kinda be like longer arms, but not that extreme. I know this doesnt answer your question, but going wider on a P5 is always a good thing, and if it does help you from getting beat to death from your suspension let us know. Lol

Last edited:
Steve00

Steve00

Feb 15, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
I can kinda see how you might think it would make your suspension softer, being the wheel would be 1.5" farther away from the hinge point where the a-arms bolt to the frame, the suspension would have to offer a slightly softer ride. It would make the suspension easier to compress, just like a wrench with a longer handle will break a bolt loose easier than a wrench with a short handle. Also, the long travel a-arm kit requires aftermarket shocks I believe because the stock shocks get compressed too far from the extra leverage of the longer arms, so spacers would kinda be like longer arms, but not that extreme. I know this doesnt answer your question, but going wider on a P5 is always a good thing, and if it does help you from getting beat to death from your suspension let us know. Lol

yes and yes! wheel spacers did soften up shocks more! tested it out, it allowed me to adjust WE shocks and get a better ride tried with and without.... With wheel spacers and playing with the clicker and preloads wheels spacers helped and added a little stability after I removed sway bar!

bhewett102

bhewett102

Dec 6, 2018
Holden Beach,NC
Ownership

1. 500
With the sway bar disconnect and 2 inch wheel spacers I noticed a definite Improvement in the ride on my P5.
The biggest difference was when I put the Walker Evans shocks on. When you are riding in Rocky Terrain it is definitely worth the money but it's still a P5 not a Talon.

monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
For me, unhook

For me, unhooking the sway bar helped, then adding the 2" spacers did a whole lot more for side-to-side stability and less "tippy" times. It's more than enough to notice, and everything is more secure on slanted trails.

monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
With the sway bar disconnect and 2 inch wheel spacers I noticed a definite Improvement in the ride on my P5.
The biggest difference was when I put the Walker Evans shocks on. When you are riding in Rocky Terrain it is definitely worth the money but it's still a P5 not a Talon.
I'll have to try the shock upgrade someday

J

Jbutler

Sep 17, 2016
Maricopa, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For me, unhook

For me, unhooking the sway bar helped, then adding the 2" spacers did a whole lot more for side-to-side stability and less "tippy" times. It's more than enough to notice, and everything is more secure on slanted trails.
You are correct! it helps your stability and stance! I would not ride without them now...

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Those were my thoughts as well, all P5’s need spacers in my opinion.

SamHyde

SamHyde

Oct 2, 2019
Walker, WV
Ownership

1. 500
I'm looking at a set of wheels with a 5+2 offset. I know that will help, but I expect I will at least add 1" spacers in addition to that. Any thoughts?

Reactions: rtn001
Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm looking at a set of wheels with a 5+2 offset. I know that will help, but I expect I will at least add 1" spacers in addition to that. Any thoughts?
If your going to buy 5+2 and the add spacers why not just buy 4+3 and leave the spacers off it would be the same.

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I was running 2” rear 1” front spacers on the factory wheels but recently went to 5+2 and used the same spacers on those. You may want to try 1” spacers on the rear first and then if you decide you want to go wider you can move them to the front and add 1.5” or 2” to the back. I believe you will find you need a little more spacer on the back to even things out but that will depend on the tires you choose too.

Reactions: rtn001
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Some things not mentioned in this thread are tire size...some run wider tires in back, some run skinny's on all four and some run wide's. Another consideration is comfort level for the stability...have always tried to keep it as narrow as possible while maintaining stability.
Last would be track width...having an even track is more of a preference thing and having an inch or two difference front to back probably doesn't impact the performance of the machine at all. My 2c is that it looks stupid if it's noticeable. Also when you're deep in the sh**, straddling ruts that are as deep as the machine is tall, it's nice to know the a** end is taking the same line. FWIW ;)

SamHyde

SamHyde

Oct 2, 2019
Walker, WV
Ownership

1. 500
Some things not mentioned in this thread are tire size...some run wider tires in back, some run skinny's on all four and some run wide's. Another consideration is comfort level for the stability...have always tried to keep it as narrow as possible while maintaining stability.
Last would be track width...having an even track is more of a preference thing and having an inch or two difference front to back probably doesn't impact the performance of the machine at all. My 2c is that it looks stupid if it's noticeable. Also when you're deep in the sh**, straddling ruts that are as deep as the machine is tall, it's nice to know the a** end is taking the same line. FWIW ;)
I do run wider tires in the back, and will likely continue to do so. Depending on the setup, a rear spacer may not be needed. I'll just have to take a look once I've got things settled and go from there.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4

1.5’s didn’t do anything to improve my ride quality, but they did add a level of stability to that venerable little tippy rascal.

Reactions: Jbutler
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!