P500 P520 battery replacement/upgrade?

J

John Mc

Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2023
Vermont
Ownership

1. 520
I recently bought a used 2022 P520. I ran it normally a couple of times/week for a few weeks. I've never used the winch, and only turned on the headlights and aux lights added by the previous owner to test them once. Then it sat for a couple of weeks. When I tried to start it, the battery was dead. No accessories were left on. It will start if I put it in the charger for a bit, and I left it connected to a smart charger for a couple of days. That charger indicates the battery is weak. I'm going to be chasing down the wiring looking for shorts and phantom loads.

I need to replace the battery, but can't find anywhere in the manual what size I should use. (Like an idiot, I did not record the size that is in there now when I was at the machine.) If a larger one will fit, I'd consider it. I'd like to find the largest capacity that will fit the stock location.

I'm also interested in recommendation on brand and type. I am NOT a fan of Gel batteries. I've had good luck with AGM batteries in tractors, ATVs and motorcycles. I know nothing about the Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries (LiFePO4). I'm a bit concerned about trying them, since they need a specific charger profile, but I suppose I can probably avoid problems with someone plugging in the wrong thing if I mount an onboard charger. I do use this through the Vermont winters - I've heard cold temperatures can be an issue with LiFePO4 batteries.

I appreciate any recommendations anyone has on battery size/type/brand.

It's currently a single battery set-up. I won't be using the winch much (unless I add a snowplow), but I'm starting to browse threads on dual battery set ups with an isolator. I may end up going that way. If anyone has recommendations on good threads to review on that subject - and especially where to put things in a 2022

Last edited:
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
20210313 152541

20210313 152653

Your winch have a shutoff switch? Rumor has it that some of them have a parasitic draw coming from them.

J

John Mc

Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2023
Vermont
Ownership

1. 520
we need pics of machine, we like pics, !!!!!

wireless winches will have a draw if not on switched power

did a gps tracker get installed

Yes, it's got a wireless winch. I'll check for a shutoff and install one if it's not already there. Hopefully, I can find the wireless receiver and switch just that, since that would be a low-amperage switch.

No idea if there is a GPS tracker. Previous owner did not mention it, and I did not think to ask. Where would I look for this?

The only pics I have were posted in my New P520 owner thread in the Intro & Welcome forum about 6 weeks ago. I've got nothing of the battery compartment (if I did, I'd know what battery was in there). In fact, getting in to the battery compartment has been an issue. The nut plate the upper bolt screws in to is frozen on to the bolt. It just spins when I try to loosen the bolt. I had to bend the cover up just to let me get the charger clips connected. I did try trimming a bit of plastic to let me reach the nut plate, but I could not get enough grip to hold it. Not sure what I'm going to do here. I may have to try to grind the bolt head off and go from there.

@trigger and @The Green Goat thanks for the info and pictures. It gave me enough to start searching for what I want.

The Yuasa YTX14-BS is a conventional flooded lead acid battery (sealed). It appears that the Yuasa GYZ16H is an AGM battery with the same dimensions and a bit more capacity. I'm probably going to go that way.

From Green Goat's picture, it almost looks as though I could fit the larger GYZ20H battery in there, if I trimmed out that little plastic box to the left of the battery. It's 7/8" wider and 3/8" taller (same depth front-to-back). I'll measure when I get back in to the battery compartment to see. Not sure if removing that little box gives enough width. It looks as though the extra height might be a problem. Things are pretty snug in there.

J

John Mc

Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2023
Vermont
Ownership

1. 520
A related question: I want to hardwire a plug to the battery to make connecting a charger easier. I have two options: an inline 2-pin plug common to battery chargers or a bulkhead fitting plug that I can mount on a body panel somewhere. Looks like this one:
31Lywl0rHhL

What have others gone with for this?

J

John Mc

Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2023
Vermont
Ownership

1. 520
Thanks for that link, Trigger. I may look for a similar panel mount SAE socket with a 20 Amp rating. This would also let me plug in the Viair 88P-SXS portable compressor I'm thinking of getting. (I have the non-SXS version in my truck and have been very happy with it.)

For now, I just installed an inline SAE cord I had lying around (like what @DRZRon1 used). I connected it into the wire nuts under the hood used on the winch wiring.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!