P500 P520 Vee rubber stick tires

D

Dlm33

May 8, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I was wondering what you guys think about the stock tires on the new p520 (vee rubber). Other then knowing they are way to small, I was hoping to get an honest opinion on them. This is my first machine and I will be upgrading the tires eventually. (Maybe 26”). The dealer stated they improved the stock tires for the 520 but I’m not sure.
I plan on using the machine for around the house work, some light trail riding and road shoulder riding. I was told to go with some radial tires?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
For the light riding you describe, the stock tires should be ok. Consider adding power steering and a winch for that money. Those two upgrades will be a benefit for yard work and light trail terrain. IMO.

Last edited:
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I was wondering what you guys think about the stock tires on the new p520 (vee rubber). Other then knowing they are way to small, I was hoping to get an honest opinion on them. This is my first machine and I will be upgrading the tires eventually. (Maybe 26”). The dealer stated they improved the stock tires for the 520 but I’m not sure.
I plan on using the machine for around the house work, some light trail riding and road shoulder riding. I was told to go with some radial tires?
Wear them stockers OUT ! They are fine tires . Maybe a little thin but that makes it real easy to plug one . If and when you upgrade . Don't waste money on 26s that you will replace with 27s just go straight to the 27s . They don't change anything negatively and you get about an extra 1.5 mph top end LOL .

B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
We ran the stock ones for the first 150 miles. And having lots of different toys I would say the stock tires do well. Plenty of grip on the gravel roads and on the trails we have here in Oregon. We went to 26 rocktane xd and bead locks. These tires run big. And with a 12 inch 5x2 wheel they still cleared but only by about a half inch. Our goal with bigger tires was clearance for all the rocks where we ride. The bead locks are nice incase I have to repair a tire. Plus I dont have to pay 20 a tire to have a tire shop switch tires for me. Have fun with your machine and make it work for what you want

Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
I've kept stock wheels and tires for the winter, (like them better for plowing snow), and have 4+3 offsets with 27" Kenda Bearclaw tires for spring to fall. Glad I have the bigger more aggressive tires as it gets the 520 off the ground a bit more and it's been great in the mud and ruts this spring. Just got to the 600km mark yesterday. Really happy with it, first four wheeler I've ever owned and I'm pretty impressed with what it can do.

S

Starcat

Oct 5, 2020
SW Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I thought the P520 stock tires were ok. Rode a bit rougher than my old ATV (which ran at 5psi instead of 10). Took the P520 to Moab UT, a haven for UTVs and ATVs. Punctured the sidewall on a front tire the second day, about 65 miles on the P520. With all the four-wheeler shops in Moab, not a one had 24" ATV/UTV tires. Closest 24" tire was 3-5 hour drive one-way. Multiple options available in 25" tires, which appear to be OEM size for several different four-wheelers. I went with locally-available 25" Sedona Buzz Saw. They seem to be a bit stronger, 6-ply vs 4-ply, radial, I can run them at 6psi for a smoother ride, and they didn't seem to change the profile much. I'm trying to stay within 50" width and 72" height if possible. Thought it was a bit odd to find not much sidewall info on the P520 Vee Rubber tires.

F

Floridahond

May 13, 2021
Ownership

1. 500
I have the p520. It's my first side by side. Before that have many ATVs all of them brand new. I was a tire nut I would keep them for about 400 mi and then sell them to trade something else and learn. I'm a big advocate on staying very close to stock sizes. I wouldn't go up to a 27 on this 520 it's just too much torque on these machines when people start jumping two and three inches on a stock machine. That's a lot of ass hanging out at the end of that shaft and it just puts a lot of strain on things. Plus it changes the center of gravity and works the clutch and everything else it's just hard.

However radial tires will absolutely stun you. I don't suggest you get anything too crazy and my favorite tire of all time is the ITP terracross. They last forever and you prove the handling and ride perfectly on stock machines. They work very well with the suspension almost like a team.

Like you I will wear these stock tires out or wait until I get a real severe itch. And then I will get ITP tear across in 25-in.

Another strong suggestion that sounds like you use your machine much like I do. So it's very important to keep the stock rims. The stock rims are extremely light and the setback and everything is perfect.
When you get aftermarket rims they often stick out a little more from the body and sling a lot of mud in places that you might not have been used to. Now of course for the mudding guys that's no big issue and I've been there myself didn't care much about it for a long time. I was going to get muddy and dirty and that was that. So just keep that in mind it is worth the money to keep those rims and mount those new tires on them. Especially with a 50-in machine and extra half inch or so on each side of room setback could keep you out of a trail or at least expose you to more brush and different parts of the trail that you weren't used to have to worry about.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have the p520. It's my first side by side. Before that have many ATVs all of them brand new. I was a tire nut I would keep them for about 400 mi and then sell them to trade something else and learn. I'm a big advocate on staying very close to stock sizes. I wouldn't go up to a 27 on this 520 it's just too much torque on these machines when people start jumping two and three inches on a stock machine. That's a lot of ass hanging out at the end of that shaft and it just puts a lot of strain on things. Plus it changes the center of gravity and works the clutch and everything else it's just hard.

However radial tires will absolutely stun you. I don't suggest you get anything too crazy and my favorite tire of all time is the ITP terracross. They last forever and you prove the handling and ride perfectly on stock machines. They work very well with the suspension almost like a team.

Like you I will wear these stock tires out or wait until I get a real severe itch. And then I will get ITP tear across in 25-in.

Another strong suggestion that sounds like you use your machine much like I do. So it's very important to keep the stock rims. The stock rims are extremely light and the setback and everything is perfect.
When you get aftermarket rims they often stick out a little more from the body and sling a lot of mud in places that you might not have been used to. Now of course for the mudding guys that's no big issue and I've been there myself didn't care much about it for a long time. I was going to get muddy and dirty and that was that. So just keep that in mind it is worth the money to keep those rims and mount those new tires on them. Especially with a 50-in machine and extra half inch or so on each side of room setback could keep you out of a trail or at least expose you to more brush and different parts of the trail that you weren't used to have to worry about.

You make a valid point but then there's real world feedback on this machine from those that have been running them for yrs. It's a Honda P5, they don't break. 24's suck for ground clearance and ride like crap, not enough side wall. Put 26's on the day I got mine and now run 28's. It gets treated like a queen in the garage and rode like a whore on the trails, never had any parts fail in 5+ yrs. Granted you'll only be lifting the machine an inch or two but that could be the difference of making it through or not. The stock wheels do fine but aluminum aftermarket's are very light as well and give you the offset you need for running the taller tires. A properly set up P5 will walk all over a stock unit when put through the gauntlet. Been there, seen it and done it. FWIW

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
I never said offset was taller! I was clarifying because you implied I did up above. Offset and taller have nothing to do with each other and I never said that they were. Funny how you can ride these things for years when the 520 just came out a few months ago.

You don't have to be a side-by-side expert to know about tires. I've ridden ATVs and had lots of them and all kinds of terrain including snow mud, roots, rocks, ice and everything else that Western New York can throw at it. My experience is not irrelevant in this case.
The 500 and 520 is pretty much the same machine

Last edited:
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Been running 27s on 5/2 14 inch rims since 2016, no issues. Haven’t seen posts on damage due to that since joining in 2016. That’s my real world experience. After being on this forum for 5 years, I have a good idea who has advice worth listening to, and there are many.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Sorry you didn't like my reply. But if you look back at my very first response to his post I shared great information great input and referenced his situation. I didn't do anything wrong or offensive.

But if you look at how you commented to mine you'll see that you made reference to "real world feedback". That clearly implies that my feedback isn't real world. I was was that rude? Yes it was You went on to further explain that basically your experience supersedes any other comment that I made. Was that rude? Yes it was

I stood up for myself and came back at you harder than you came at me. If I was wrong so are you.

You all but tried to minimize and discard my suggestions. Perhaps you've been on this forum a long time and you've had a lot of support so therefore they're not going to come at you. So it's easier to come at me because I'm the newbie. And I know that's how it goes sometimes.

Hopefully we are long past that ans we can get back to Honda being that subject here instead of you or me.
This is @trigger's "real world feedback". Don't be offended if he feels like he has done it all to the P500 platform.......

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
“You make a valid point but then there's real world feedback on this machine from those that have been running them for yrs. It's a Honda P5, they don't break.”

Trigger‘s comment includes me, running 27s for years. Seems like there are as many real world experiences as there are owners, thats a good thing, and I don’t go off if someone posts experiences different from mine. I pick and choose mods that fit my needs. 27 tires greatly softened the ride and pulled better in mud and over trail obstacles. I don’t pretend thats the best for others, but it is for me and might be for someone else if they choose or not.

I thought I was going to see an apology above, but it was just more negative banter. “If I was wrong so were you” shows a closed mind to other members experience and comments, as more time spent on this forum, it will be clear that’s not the tone of this forum. There are other options for forums to choose or not, but IMO this is the best when compared to others like below.

There are other options for forums to choose or not, but IMO this is the best when compared to others like below.

Last edited:
Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You make a valid point but then there's real world feedback on this machine from those that have been running them for yrs. It's a Honda P5, they don't break.”

Trigger‘s comment includes me, running 27s for years. Seems like there are as many real world experiences as there are owners, thats a good thing, and I don’t go off if someone posts experiences different from mine. I pick and choose mods that fit my needs. 27 tires greatly softened the ride and pulled better in mud and over trail obstacles. I don’t pretend thats the best for others, but it is for me and might be for someone else if they choose or not.

I thought I was going to see an apology above, but it was just more negative banter. “If I was wrong so were you” shows a closed mind to other members experience and comments, as more time spent on this forum, it will be clear that’s not the tone of this forum. There are other options for forums to choose or not, but IMO this is the best when compared to others like below.
Wow wtf was that. If that's what other forums are like I found the good one first. Thanks @Hondasxs for putting this together. I couldn't make sense of that mess.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!