P700 No acceleration sounds like Jake brakes

U

Usi

Feb 20, 2024
New zealand
Ownership

1. 700-2
My p700 suddenly won’t rev up anything past a touch of throttle. As soon as I try the whole motor shudders and bogs almost like a rev cap as soon as applied. It’s got spark and starts up fine. It’s also had a top end rebuild with a new cam etc installed. Also no engine lights flashing other than the first couple seconds. It does this whether in neutral applying revs and also in gear moving. I am new to this site and it won’t allow me to upload videos if you know how please let me know!

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My p700 suddenly won’t rev up anything past a touch of throttle. As soon as I try the whole motor shudders and bogs almost like a rev cap as soon as applied. It’s got spark and starts up fine. It’s also had a top end rebuild with a new cam etc installed. Also no engine lights flashing other than the first couple seconds. It does this whether in neutral applying revs and also in gear moving. I am new to this site and it won’t allow me to upload videos if you know how please let me know!
Post the video on YouTube or similar and then post a link to it here.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m not a mechanic by any stretch but some peeps on here are pretty remarkable at it so you will probably get some ideas soon.

Has it run okay since the cam replacement was done?

I wonder if the exhaust is partially blocked. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Or maybe an intake restriction? What’s the air filter/air box look like? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Buggyman
U

Usi

Feb 20, 2024
New zealand
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yep it’s run fine ever since until one day on the farm and suddenly lost power and this problem started. I have done some research and seen that answer come up a few times also so I removed the exhaust completely and still have the same issue 👍 it’s got me stumped. Cheers

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Welcome from Ohio. Other than the intake or exhaust restrictions like NTCprezJB just mentioned I hate to say it but sounds like the cam again. probably would check and see if valve clearances are still in spec that might help determine a cam issue or not. no mechanic here either but one of the wizards will chime in later I'm sure. how much time on top end rebuild and who's cam was used. some post say go with Honda some say go aftermarket ?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep it’s run fine ever since until one day on the farm and suddenly lost power and this problem started. I have done some research and seen that answer come up a few times also so I removed the exhaust completely and still have the same issue 👍 it’s got me stumped. Cheers
How long ago was the cam replaced? Other than the cam…what else was replaced in the process? I assume the machine is in park or neutral in the video?

Possible it ate the replacement cam 😢

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
How long ago was the cam replaced? Other than the cam…what else was replaced in the process? I assume the machine is in park or neutral in the video?

Possible it ate the replacement cam 😢
^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
So far less than 200kms and would have been an oem as was taken to dealer. As far as I was billed just a top end kit and cam
Wow that's very short miles :( what year is your buggy. only other thing I can think of at the moment would be to check all the electrical connections especially around the top end where work was done. hope one of these guys can get you going soon. if not to far maybe take it back to the dealer since you only got 125 mi. on the rebuild.

U

Usi

Feb 20, 2024
New zealand
Ownership

1. 700-2
Valve clearances are still in spec and compression is a solid 80psi as stated in manual and I’m assuming if cam was worn that bad it would be much higher if exhaust lobe worn or lower if intake is worn to be the culprit of my problem. Even with my previous cam being as worn as it was it was never running as bad as it is now. And without codes showing up I’m doubtful it’s electrical as when playing around with the connectors on top codes would pop up straight away. I read a post somewhere that the crank can spin itself out of place on the shaft?I haven’t seen the crank out of the motor before so that doesn’t seem right to me. And am dreading to check if last resort.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@Usi
If your not 100% sure if they put a new plug in it, change it. Those iridiums (got to use em)
When they get fouled or have issues internally will cause issues like your having.
Also, how many “miles” not Km if you will for those in Reo Linda can decipher
whats wrong with your rig.

Could also be the ingnition coil or if has a magneto could b taking a crap as well. You will need a shop manual for the spec on it to diagnose them.

Take a pic of the plug and post it please.
I am new to this site and it won’t allow me to upload videos if you know how please let me know!
Post a vedgia to YouTube and hit copy link after and paste it here so we can hear the noise. Hard to diagnose the noise without physically hearing it.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Usi
If your not 100% sure if they put a new plug in it, change it. Those iridiums (got to use em)
When they get fouled or have issues internally will cause issues like your having.
Also, how many “miles” not Km if you will for those in Reo Linda can decipher
whats wrong with your rig.

Could also be the ingnition coil or if has a magneto could b taking a crap as well. You will need a shop manual for the spec on it to diagnose them.

Take a pic of the plug and post it please.

Post a vedgia to YouTube and hit copy link after and paste it here so we can hear the noise. Hard to diagnose the noise without physically hearing it.
Video link is posted. It just isn’t YouTube but it worked.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
it’s hard to troubleshoot over the innerweb, thanks for posting the video

-imo, basics first, new plug, dump some fresh fuel in, good battery. - EZ stuff.

My next move would be to pull air filter and see if you are getting any air coming back out of the carb - should be pulling all the time

Also - 80 psi is low compression - was that typo?

U

Usi

Feb 20, 2024
New zealand
Ownership

1. 700-2
Have already done new plug (old one was fouled) so tried new air filter and checked to see if air was pulling and yes it was. Tried new fuel still same problem and had new battery not long ago. Also the manual I bought said 80PSI is normal maybe I have the wrong book?

Image Image

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!