SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I just watched a Shock Therapy video and he said low pressures in the dunes were 'old school' and suggested closer to 16 lbs with today's tires. Low pressures affect shock action negatively IIRC. I was just bouncing around the internet so I don't know where I was other than ST.
Thanks, I found recommend by GMZ was 13. Good to know about ST. Those guys know the sand and desert. Quads and 3 wheelers were always low around 5, I’ll try some different pressure’s to see how it reacts. Tires are 30x13-15 and 30x15-15, they’re going to float nice.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks, I found recommend by GMZ was 13. Good to know about ST. Those guys know the sand and desert. Quads and 3 wheelers were always low around 5, I’ll try some different pressure’s to see how it reacts. Tires are 30x13-15 and 30x15-15, they’re going to float nice.
This isn't the same video that I saw earlier but it's longer and therefore more detailed.

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
After watching the ST video I’m going to start at the 13 recommended. Seems about the middle of the range they were talking about

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Overall width is 74” front and 78” back with the 1.5” spacers. With my 5+2 method wheels and Carnivores it’s about 71” all around. Front will have more bump steer with the high offset but I’ll take the extra width for stability in the sand. I have them at 7lbs now. What pressure are you guys running?
I would suggest that if possible you get those spacers off the back (or at least reduce their width) when running 0 offset wheels. The combination of 0 offset and 1.5" spacers is like running a -40 mm offset wheel and will be real hard on the bearings.

I just watched a Shock Therapy video and he said low pressures in the dunes were 'old school' and suggested closer to 16 lbs with today's tires. Low pressures affect shock action negatively IIRC. I was just bouncing around the internet so I don't know where I was other than ST.
Total and absolute rubbish. Once again, ST shows their ignorance about things they know little about. I wish he would stick to desert racing and admit that is his expertise and stop spewing BS about thinks he knows nothing about.

16 PSI on the sand is absurd, especially with tires like Skat Traks. I have thousands of mile on several different type tires and lost count of the times I have experimented with pressure (from 3 to 15 psi).

Hard sidewall style tires are just OK and work best around 8-10 PSI
Fully Buffed tires work the best even lower. I have tried multiple sets and the bests so far are...
  • Rear 30 X 13.5 X 14 (they measure almost 32") Sand Craft with Extreme 10 paddle stagger at 6 PSI on 14X10, 0 offset DWT wheels. I use longer studs and 1/2 spacers because they "almost" touch the control arm mounts on the rear knuckle so I wants a little more clearance.
  • Front 30 X 11 X 14 (they also measure almost 32") Sand Craft Rough Buffs at 5 PSI 14X8, 0 offset DWT wheels.
This combo on a Talon floats on even the softest sand and works the best of all the combinations I have tried and to my surprise, my bone stock Talon pushes these almost 32" tires great. Even better that a set of 28" hard style paddles I had.

If I try to run the buffs at 16PSI like ST suggests, I would get nowhere real fast!

Last edited:
SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I would suggest that if possible you get those spacers off the back (or at least reduce their width) when running 0 offset wheels. The combination of 0 offset and 1.5" spacers is like running a -40 mm offset wheel and will be real hard on the bearings.

Total and absolute rubbish. Once again, ST shows their ignorance about things they know little about. I wish he would stick to desert racing and admit that is his expertise and stop spewing BS about thinks he knows nothing about.

16 PSI on the sand is absurd, especially with tires like Skat Tacks. I have thousands of mile on several different type tires and lost count of the times I have experimented with pressure (from 3 to 15 psi).

Hard sidewall style tires are just OK and work best around 8-10 PSI
Fully Buffed tires work the best even lower. I have tried multiple sets and the bests so far are...
  • Rear 30 X 13.5 X 14 (they measure almost 32") Sand Craft with Extreme 10 paddle stagger at 6 PSI on 14X10, 0 offset DWT wheels. I use longer studs and 1/2 spacers because they "almost" touch the control arm mounts on the rear knuckle so I wants a little more clearance.
  • Front 30 X 11 X 14 (they also measure almost 32") Sand Craft Rough Buffs at 5 PSI 14X8, 0 offset DWT wheels.
This combo on a Talon floats on even the softest sand and works the best of all the combinations I have tried and to my surprise, my bone stock Talon pushes these almost 32" tires great. Even better that a set of 28" hard style paddles I had.

If I try to run the buffs at 16PSI like ST suggests, I would get nowhere real fast!
When you measure height on sand tires are you measuring to the top of the rear paddles/ front ribs or at the tire body? reason I ask is my tires are 30” and they measured 30 to the body of the tire and almost 32 at the paddles.

good advice on the spacers. For a mock up it looks great but agree on the bearings. I’ll pop those off before we hit the sand.

Reactions: CID
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
When you measure height on sand tires are you measuring to the top of the rear paddles/ front ribs or at the tire body? reason I ask is my tires are 30” and they measured 30 to the body of the tire and almost 32 at the paddles.

good advice on the spacers. For a mock up it looks great but agree on the bearings. I’ll pop those off before we hit the sand.
Tire height is the carcass only, excluding any paddles.

As much as I cannot stomach listening to Mr. ST, I did watch it again and realized why he makes such idiotic blanket recommendations. Everything he say is based on heavy, high HP machines like the X3's he loves so much. Applying anything he knows about an X3 or Turbo S to a Talon is almost completely useless.

For instance, his folding over a paddle explanation with a 200 HP X3 is not the same as a 100 HP Talon. And even at 200 HP, 16 LBS is not needed, especially in 4WD. We have a 172 HP Turbo S in our group and he runs 7 PSI with great success. He has tried everything from 5 to 12 psi. This machine simply RIPS and does it's best at 7 PSI.

We also have a 200+ HP RWD Sand Rail in our group and he runs 9 PSI but he only weighs 1200 lbs. Anything less than 9 and the paddles will start to fold. Anything more than 10 and he starts to lose traction.

Reactions: BPINE and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!