Looking for tire replacement advice

M

Michael53

Dec 13, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I have a 2020 Talon X-4 with stock tires and wheels. I want to go to a more road friendly tire that works well on dirt trails. Been looking at Tusk Terrabites, but frankly I don’t know what size tires I should order to stay as close to stock ride height as possible.
I could use some advice in this endeavor. I’ve read a lot of posts here but nothing is helping me make a good choice.

thoughts?

Mike

Reactions: EMAW and Smitty335
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I want to go to a more road friendly tire
Your in need of an LT all terrain or a Mud terrain tire. I have them on my P1 and the ware is 10 times better than a UTV tire if your using the road often. There also cheeper. If u search LT tires up top youll see a-lot of options.

We still need the pics tho! ;)

M

Michael53

Dec 13, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X4
IMG 2515
IMG 2518
IMG 2514

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I would have gotten 10k miles out of six 30” BFG K02’s (2 fronts, 4 rears) if I hadn’t cut a sidewall (hit a sharp rock at ~20 mph 😲 ). I think they ride a bit harsher than an OHV specific tire though. 30” is only 1” taller fwiw. $174 each about 2 years ago.

My first replacements were 30” Chicane RX and ‘only’ got 5700 miles out of 6 tires, an OHV tire and they were considerably more expensive. I couldn’t tell any traction or handling differences between the two. Can’t plate, so all dirt, no pavement, very little mud. Somewhere about $230 now.

M

Michael53

Dec 13, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I would have gotten 10k miles out of six 30” BFG K02’s (2 fronts, 4 rears) if I hadn’t cut a sidewall (hit a sharp rock at ~20 mph 😲 ). I think they ride a bit harsher than an OHV specific tire though. 30” is only 1” taller fwiw. $174 each about 2 years ago.

My first replacements were 30” Chicane RX and ‘only’ got 5700 miles out of 6 tires, an OHV tire and they were considerably more expensive. I couldn’t tell any traction or handling differences between the two. Can’t plate, so all dirt, no pavement, very little mud. Somewhere about $230 now.
Good information- thank you!

M

Michael53

Dec 13, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Nice buggy!

I Like your Black Labers better tho!
Like mine, always in the way of the pics
She is a sweetheart- we are retired and goes everywhere we go. Bought 4 seat Talon just so she can ride in comfort. Been working on figuring out a way to build a flat space to replace seats so I can put foam on it and she can ride more easily.

EMAW

EMAW

Mama Tried!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2020 Talon X-4 with stock tires and wheels. I want to go to a more road friendly tire that works well on dirt trails. Been looking at Tusk Terrabites, but frankly I don’t know what size tires I should order to stay as close to stock ride height as possible.
I could use some advice in this endeavor. I’ve read a lot of posts here but nothing is helping me make a good choice.

thoughts?

Mike
@Blownzuki might have some advice/input.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

thoughts?

Mike
Im running 31x10.5r15 milestar patagonia mt's on our talon x2. Theyre a great tire for our use. The only place they've struggled for us is thick mud. I chose a truck tire because how the machine wore the stock rears running around the house on the road. As for the ride height my machine suspension settled and i think it sets lower than a stcok machine even with the larger tires. There are a lot of 15" tire choices and some of them are a better deal for the money. Most load ratings and general tire construction will be better on a truck tire.

lowranger

lowranger

Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2020
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X
Im running 31x10.5r15 milestar patagonia mt's on our talon x2. Theyre a great tire for our use. The only place they've struggled for us is thick mud. I chose a truck tire because how the machine wore the stock rears running around the house on the road. As for the ride height my machine suspension settled and i think it sets lower than a stcok machine even with the larger tires. There are a lot of 15" tire choices and some of them are a better deal for the money. Most load ratings and general tire construction will be better on a truck tire.
@Ohio4x4 you have a picture of your rig with the tire set up?

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Do these fit the Talon? Might need a different size.

If I was in the market for new tires, I would consider these (recommended by @Remington) and a good price. The seller (Priority Tire) has their own web site, but I would likely buy through AZM.

Achilles Desert Hawk X-MT All-Terrain Radial Tire - 30/9.50R15 104Q

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you are looking for wheels, highlifter still has their sale going on

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4

After seeing how well yours did on several rides I just bought some 31x10.50 truck tires for the Talon so I don't wear out my trail tires on the road. I'll still use my 32" Trail Saws on the bigger rides but the LT tires did very good for me this weekend. We rode about 40-50 miles of pavement, gravel, hard pack and lots of roots and rocks. Best part was I got the whole set for $500 from Walmart.
20230629 180803
20230629 194910
20230629 064546

Last edited:
Indiana SxS

Indiana SxS

Jan 2, 2019
Madison Indiana
indianasxs.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I have been running some Kenda klever xt 32x10x15 that are good on the road and dirt. They will get thousands upon thousands of miles. They aren't true to size so they will work on your x without rubbing. They are based on a LT tire so they are stiffer like a truck tire offroad. Even thousgh this is a UTV tire a normal UTV tire will be softer offroad as these were designed based on their LT tire. They run 700.00 a set.

IMG 5333

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
After seeing how well yours did on several rides I just bought some 31x10.50 truck tires for the Talon so I don't wear out my trail tires on the rode. I'll still use my 32" Trail Saws on the bigger rides but the LT tires did very good for me this weekend. We rode about 40-50 miles of pavement, gravel, hard pack and lots of roots and rocks. Best part was I got the whole set for $500 from Walmart.
View attachment 394447View attachment 394448View attachment 394449
Im going to try another set for a mud tire. Im thinking about a set of these. https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai...hUKEwjb1NyayNn_AhW-AzQIHRLnAHgQww8I1w8&adurl=

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!