Flat tire

Donzi18

Donzi18

Jan 6, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. Talon X4 LV
I have read here on the forum on how a lot of you carry jacks and spare tires, sounds like the way to go. However I have yet to read if anyone has ever carried a can of Fix-A-Flat? I know this is not a type of long term solution for a flat tire but if it was a small puncture could this help you get out of the woods or save you a long hike back to your truck?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have read here on the forum on how a lot of you carry jacks and spare tires, sounds like the way to go. However I have yet to read if anyone has ever carried a can of Fix-A-Flat? I know this is not a type of long term solution for a flat tire but if it was a small puncture could this help you get out of the woods or save you a long hike back to your truck?
Depends on the flat. There are times a stick is causing 5+ plugs to be put in a single hole. Fix a flat isn’t going to hold air on something like that. Not sure how it would help in the classic pinch flat situation. A plug kit (with inflation method) though would be overall better insurance than fix a flat IMHO.

Spare tire/Jack if you’re riding solo out away from the truck/trailer/etc but typically I leave my spare at the truck/trailer at places like RRB or similar.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Maybe if you had an extremely slow leak from a thorn or something, but I have not ever seen an offroad tire incident that Fix-a-flat would resolve. A good tire plug kit would be far more useful. Most of the time you are dealing with sidewall gashes and pinch flats.

This was about a foot long stick that went into the tire

Donzi18

Donzi18

Jan 6, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. Talon X4 LV
Depends on the flat. There are times a stick is causing 5+ plugs to be put in a single hole. Fix a flat isn’t going to hold air on something like that. Not sure how it would help in the classic pinch flat situation. A plug kit (with inflation method) though would be overall better insurance than fix a flat IMHO.

Spare tire/Jack if you’re riding solo out away from the truck/trailer/etc but typically I leave my spare at the truck/trailer at places like RRB or similar.
That’s more or less my thought also. I normally ride wit a friend and so I don’t worry about it. I was just curious if it was worth messing with. Thanks for the feedback.
Donzi 18

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
And as far as a jack goes, I stopped carrying one. It's easier to have a buddy along in another rig that can winch you over on your side and make fun of you the entire time you plug it.

@Hondasxs was the reigning champion of flat tires, but he's changed his ways now that he is a Talon-boi

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Used tire slime once, makes a nasty mess if it's in when setting a bead. Also, never had much luck with it.
@Tramguage1 has a nice set up with a bottle of co2 he uses. I use plugs like @Adam490 and small co2 cartridges. There easy to store and u can pack a lot of them

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have in addition to my spare that I carry at all times:

12v air compressor
Compressed air can of fix a flat
Slime
Plugs
Sidewall Slug Plug
Externally installable valve stem

I have used none of it.

I do run SuperATV Intimidator tires. I think they are VERY thick and sturdy.

The above stay stored in the pioneer. In our backpack we bring a ryobi 18v battery operated compressor.

Last edited:
Donzi18

Donzi18

Jan 6, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. Talon X4 LV
Maybe if you had an extremely slow leak from a thorn or something, but I have not ever seen an offroad tire incident that Fix-a-flat would resolve. A good tire plug kit would be far more useful. Most of the time you are dealing with sidewall gashes and pinch flats.

This was about a foot long stick that went into the tire

View attachment 365611

View attachment 365612
I could see where a can of fix a flat might come in handy in a case like that. You could stuff the entire can in that hole…..lol
Thanks for the reply.
And as far as a jack goes, I stopped carrying one. It's easier to have a buddy along in another rig that can winch you over on your side and make fun of you the entire time you plug it.

View attachment 365613

View attachment 365614

View attachment 365616

@Hondasxs was the reigning champion of flat tires, but he's changed his ways now that he is a Talon-boi

View attachment 365615
Remind me never to go riding with you!!! 😂
You just talked me into purchasing a spare tire and Jack. Great pics!

Donzi18

Donzi18

Jan 6, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. Talon X4 LV
I have in addition to my spare that I carry at all times:

12v air compressor
Compressed air can of fix a flat
Slime
Plugs
The slug plug
Externally installable valve stem

I have used none of it.

I do run SuperATV Intimidator tires. I think they are VERY thick and sturdy.

The above stay stored in the pioneer. In our backpack we bring a ryobi 18v battery operated compressor.
I would have to say you are very well equipped! I think I might have to look into a set of solid rubber tires like I had on my radio flyer wagon when I was a kid….lol

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Project Farm looked at Fix A Flat, and compared it with several other options. Might be handy for a compressed air source; after using other repair efforts, and if no other air options available. Looks like it's not likely to actually fix anything on the trail, though.

Terrabite 10 ply with Flat Out tire goo inside works for me so far. Only one cut tire that I know of, sidewall gouge that the goo sealed and I got home without issue. I figure one spare is enough (with jack, plug kit, & compressor) since no matter how much junk I carry, the one thing needed to fix my macine in an emergency will be the one thing I do not have with me. Murphy was an optimist!

Donzi18

Donzi18

Jan 6, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. Talon X4 LV
Project Farm looked at Fix A Flat, and compared it with several other options. Might be handy for a compressed air source; after using other repair efforts, and if no other air options available. Looks like it's not likely to actually fix anything on the trail, though.

Terrabite 10 ply with Flat Out tire goo inside works for me so far. Only one cut tire that I know of, sidewall gouge that the goo sealed and I got home without issue. I figure one spare is enough (with jack, plug kit, & compressor) since no matter how much junk I carry, the one thing needed to fix my macine in an emergency will be the one thing I do not have with me. Murphy was an optimist!
I can’t agree more! Anytime I go out to fix something I grab about 10 different size wrenches and it never fails, the size I need is still hanging on the wall in the shop 🤬

thanks for the reply

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Few more flat tire pics! Haha

@TripleB had a pretty impressive one with this railroad spike

@Coeus

This Milwaukee M18 compressor has been awesome. Not much bigger than my 12v ViAir and a lot handier.

Donzi18

Donzi18

Jan 6, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. Talon X4 LV
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Few more flat tire pics! Haha

@TripleB had a pretty impressive one with this railroad spike

View attachment 365635

View attachment 365629

View attachment 365634

View attachment 365636

@Coeus

View attachment 365633

This Milwaukee M18 compressor has been awesome. Not much bigger than my 12v ViAir and a lot handier.

View attachment 365637
That spike beat the inside of that rim up pretty good. I thought my axle was popping lol. Good thing it was slow speed or it would've knocked a hole in the wheel for sure.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!