P700 Paddles for Oregon Dunes

SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
We're heading down to the Oregon dunes in August, and trying to decide if I should splurge on rear paddle tires. Only going to be riding there for a day and a bit. What's the general consensus are they really necessary?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I don't know if the 700 really has the mustard to do much with paddles. Maybe some mild ones?

SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
I don't know if the 700 really has the mustard to do much with paddles. Maybe some mild ones?

I was wondering the same thing, it seems it might be better to just air down to ~5 psi, rock 4x4 and pick my lines carefully lol. Now if I ever got around to turboing it...

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I agree with DG,
But I remember a few guys doing dune riding and remarking on how well the 700 did...
Good luck have fun and don't get in the soft deep stuff. Or at least if you do don't stop:eek:

Reactions: Tflynn
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
In my very limited sand experience we found that a 4wd quad did better with paddles (on the rear only, we didn’t have a set for the front) in 2wd then regular dirt tires in 4wd. Crazy right?? I wouldn’t believe it if I didn’t see it myself. If you could go paddles front and rear and run 4wd that would be the ticket.

I once wheeled my old Tacoma at Pismo beach and it did pretty good in 4wd on BFG mud terrains, but I wouldn’t dare try to climb any huge dunes either.

So I’d say paddles really do make a difference but if you’d only use them once... I don’t know.

Another word of advice I learned very quickly in the sand, momentum is EVERYTHING so be very mindful of where you stop. It’s easy to keep moving once you’re already moving, but it’s hard to get going from a dead stop. So in other words don’t stop in the bottom of a bowl or any other place where the only way out is uphill. Ask me how I know!

SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
In my very limited sand experience we found that a 4wd quad did better with paddles (on the rear only, we didn’t have a set for the front) in 2wd then regular dirt tires in 4wd. Crazy right?? I wouldn’t believe it if I didn’t see it myself. If you could go paddles front and rear and run 4wd that would be the ticket.

I once wheeled my old Tacoma at Pismo beach and it did pretty good in 4wd on BFG mud terrains, but I wouldn’t dare try to climb any huge dunes either.

So I’d say paddles really do make a difference but if you’d only use them once... I don’t know.

Another word of advice I learned very quickly in the sand, momentum is EVERYTHING so be very mindful of where you stop. It’s easy to keep moving once you’re already moving, but it’s hard to get going from a dead stop. So in other words don’t stop in the bottom of a bowl or any other place where the only way out is uphill. Ask me how I know!

Very prudent advice. Think I'm gonna go with the dirt tires, can't justify the cost for 1 trip. I've done a bunch of mountain sledding, so I will use similar techniques, never stop in bowls or uphill always stop facing downhill etc, and hopefully I'll be fine lol. Maybe I'll make myself a sand winch anchor, need to think about that one a bit.

Reactions: Tflynn

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!