Parasitic Draw on My battery

C

cattmann

Oct 26, 2018
canada
Ownership

1. 500
This winter My battery in my 2021 Honda 1000 drained to the point of not starting.The first time was in cold storage for about 2 weeks and the second time was about 0 degrees over 2 weeks.Previously the machine sat for a month with no issues.I removed the battery and had the dealer run a test on it .he said it was bad which was bad luck for me as my warranty ran out this Feb,one month late.I should have had it tested the first time it failed .Anyhow I will get to the point.When installing my new battery I noticed a very small spark when attaching the positive.It is so slight you have a hard time seeing it.When I ran an amp draw test I got .05 ma.If I switch it to micro amps it fluctuates from about 060 to 090 without settling out.I read that new vehicles have a 50ma draw when not in use so I guess my question is ,is there a slight draw on the hondas when not in use? Any input would be greatly appreciated as usual.Thanks Gary

Reactions: Buggyman
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yup, you will get a very slight draw But not enough to kill the battery that way.
So u live in a cold area like i do. Ive had a battery do the same thing. There not deep cell so those extreme temps can rake havoc on battery cells if your not careful. I would suggest a float charger and an outlet to charge the machine when its in storage and in cold weather like this….
A80BEF2E F7EF 434E 8F04 050FFDAEDFCF
BD4E8130 587B 441D A4A9 1401CC63E302

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
from another post PaulF had .005amps when he measured his, you are 10X that, f you are drawing .05, .05x24=1.2AH/day, 20AH/1.2, so about 17 days to drain it.

seems you have a draw, shorted wire or accessory on, seeing a spark tells you something and yes these do have a small parasitic draw

C

cattmann

Oct 26, 2018
canada
Ownership

1. 500
from another post PaulF had .005amps when he measured his, you are 10X that, f you are drawing .05, .05x24=1.2AH/day, 20AH/1.2, so about 17 days to drain it.

seems you have a draw, shorted wire or accessory on, seeing a spark tells you something and yes these do have a small parasitic draw
Thanks for the reply.I have no acc on my main system.I installed a second battery and fuse panel to handle all acc except the cigarette lighter which powers off with the key.Not sure where to look.When testing the draw I also dissconnect the battery isolater .Nothing but the 2 factory cables when testing.

C

cattmann

Oct 26, 2018
canada
Ownership

1. 500
Yup, you will get a very slight draw But not enough to kill the battery that way.
So u live in a cold area like i do. Ive had a battery do the same thing. There not deep cell so those extreme temps can rake havoc on battery cells if your not careful. I would suggest a float charger and an outlet to charge the machine when its in storage and in cold weather like this….
View attachment 326895View attachment 326896
I have trickle charged both my batteries numerous times this winter.The machine sat at one point for a month and I had no issues.Strange Thanks for the reply.

C

cattmann

Oct 26, 2018
canada
Ownership

1. 500
This winter My battery in my 2021 Honda 1000 drained to the point of not starting.The first time was in cold storage for about 2 weeks and the second time was about 0 degrees over 2 weeks.Previously the machine sat for a month with no issues.I removed the battery and had the dealer run a test on it .he said it was bad which was bad luck for me as my warranty ran out this Feb,one month late.I should have had it tested the first time it failed .Anyhow I will get to the point.When installing my new battery I noticed a very small spark when attaching the positive.It is so slight you have a hard time seeing it.When I ran an amp draw test I got .05 ma.If I switch it to micro amps it fluctuates from about 060 to 090 without settling out.I read that new vehicles have a 50ma draw when not in use so I guess my question is ,is there a slight draw on the hondas when not in use? Any input would be greatly appreciated as usual.Thanks Gary
UPDATE Today I spent some time chasing the draw on my battery by removing fuses.The only fuse that would completely illiminate the draw of .05 mA is the 15 amp ign .With this fuse out the clock stops and will only work with the key on.Cant see the clock drawing .05mA.Anyone know what else feeds from this 15 amp fuse?I assume the power to the coil pack for sure.

Last edited:
Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Question: If it is not too hard to take a ground off the battery, would that save the battery for a month or two? I don't really care about the clock not working. Are the mileage and running time lost if the battery is not kept connected?

advertisement
H

HondaTech

He said .05mA (miliamps) which is nothing.

Honda says the max drain on a 2021 Pioneer is .75mA, which he is nowhere near.

.005 amps would be 5 miliamps. Ive seen certain audio systems draw over 200mA, key off.

C

cattmann

Oct 26, 2018
canada
Ownership

1. 500
Question: If it is not too hard to take a ground off the battery, would that save the battery for a month or two? I don't really care about the clock not working. Are the mileage and running time lost if the battery is not kept connected?
when I removed the 15 amp ign fuse today the vehicle would turn over but not start.If I checked the time on the clock with the key on and then turn the key off for a few minutes and then turn the key back on ,I noticed the clock was still showing the same time unless I left the key on and it would start. When I removed the battery to install a new one a few days later, all info was recalled.

H

HondaTech

when I removed the 15 amp ign fuse today the vehicle would turn over but not start.If I checked the time on the clock with the key on and then turn the key off for a few minutes and then turn the key back on ,I noticed the clock was still showing the same time unless I left the key on and it would start. When I removed the battery to install a new one a few days later, all info was recalled.
The ignition fuse kills power to the coils, injectors, etc.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
I suggest a C-Tec brand of smart charger. It should come with a pigtail that you can wire permanently inside battery box and have a wire with quick plug hanging out of battery box, When storing, you just plug the charger to it and the wall and it maintains battery (just leave plugged in for weeks plus). They offer an Orange one for very cold weather or normal for most places. I have used them on my stored cars for years and always stayed perfect even in cold (like below zero) weather. Have one on my Mower battery too. They have multiple settings for large & small batteries. They will recondition the battery too if needed. They are not a QUICK charger for jumping.

C

cattmann

Oct 26, 2018
canada
Ownership

1. 500
I suggest a C-Tec brand of smart charger. It should come with a pigtail that you can wire permanently inside battery box and have a wire with quick plug hanging out of battery box, When storing, you just plug the charger to it and the wall and it maintains battery (just leave plugged in for weeks plus). They offer an Orange one for very cold weather or normal for most places. I have used them on my stored cars for years and always stayed perfect even in cold (like below zero) weather. Have one on my Mower battery too. They have multiple settings for large & small batteries. They will recondition the battery too if needed. They are not a QUICK charger for jumping.
Thanks for the info

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!