Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good day ladies and gentlemen!
My Labour day weekend riding was cut short due to some rear fuel injector issues.
Chalmers is throwing a code 13 rear injector.
I have had problems recreating the problem. It only seems to surface once I have ridden for quite some time. Makes be believe it is heat related. If it were truly a bad injector, I think it would set the code every ignition cycle.
Going thru my service manual, it has a few options for repair,
~Possible faulty fuel injector (maybe if issue was constant)
~open circuit in red/black wire (maybe if issue was constant)
~open in green/black (front) or green/blue (rear) wire
~replace PCM with known good one

I have the trouble code on video. and also an 8 minute video that I didn't know I was recording, just the audio of it staling and restarting. I swear it was died 50 times. trying to go less than a mile.

This happened to be on Friday, on the way home, which sucked, but was dealt with. And again on Sunday, where I cut my ride short knowing how much of a pain in the ass it was to get it back to camp.

I truly believe I have an issue in my wiring harness. Chalmers is still under warranty. Should I push to have entire harness replaced? Or let them find the break in the harness and fix it?

Thoughts?

Edit From Member @cwalton
Talked to my Service Manger about part numbers. He said that the Dealer will need to call their Honda tech support to order pin repair kits, they are not available through their general ordering process.
Fuel injector connector repair: Pigtail .5 kit 04320-SAA-A00 (8 pieces)
Solder sleeves for wire connection: 07AMZ-MCAA200 (25 pieces)

@Hondasxs has created a repair harness for this!
Pioneer fuel injector wire repair kit.

Last edited:
Reactions: ch33br0h
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you tried swapping the injectors to see if the problem follows the injector to the front cylinder?
That was my first thought as soon as I verified the connections were fully seated. I have been unable to quickly (less than 10 minutes runtime) recreate the problem. It took almost an hour of riding on Sunday before the issue reared it's ugly head again. I keep a decent tool kit in my truck for occasions such as this. Problem was my wife took my truck to work Sunday and left hers. So I will be throwing a multi-meter in my on board tool kit. If my fuel injector was faulty, I don't think it would be so intermittent.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Do the easy stuff first. Wiggle the injector wires, Swap the injectors, If possible swap the ECU with a buddy to see if the problem transfers. Intermittent problems are difficult to fix good luck. You may get goodwill warranty and it doesn't hurt to ask.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do the easy stuff first. Wiggle the injector wires, Swap the injectors, If possible swap the ECU with a buddy to see if the problem transfers. Intermittent problems are difficult to fix good luck. You may get goodwill warranty and it doesn't hurt to ask.
I plan to get a little deeper into it tonight.

You have insurance?
Yup! Not sure I want to start another build though. Kind of like the one I have right now.

Reactions: JTW
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMG 0219
Found my problem, anyone familar with how to take these apart?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Alright, (hopefully) solution found!
I found a vendor online injectorrepair.com who i emailed some pictures to and asked for some assistance.
He was not able to supply me with a connector, but did link his competition for me.

Pioneer fuel injector wire repair kit.
Link update (02/25/19)

I will report back if these work. I ordered 2, one to keep as a spare. I couldn't justify next day shipping. I do plan to hit the Honda automotive parts department tomorrow and see if they stock it. I figured i could take a $30 gamble on the connectors being correct. Local auto dealership parts dept was closed for the day when i received an email from Jim at injectorrepair.com

Last edited:
Reactions: pct and JTW
pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good find was it a broken wire in the connector

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It indeed was a broken wire. The service manual said the red/black wire should have battery voltage with key on. I hooked my meter up to the plug and started wiggling while watching for a voltage drop. I narrowed it down to the first inch or so of plug. when the voltage dropped, I grabbed a T-pin and started piercing the wire insulation to find the break. I had the pin pretty much at the back of the plug with battery voltage. So I tugged a little bit on the wire and the below happened. The rubber seal did stay in place. I removed it to see how deep the break was.

IMG 20170906 181257

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have found a cheap solution for this. We are talking less than $20 if your parts guy charges you full price.
I spent some time on ebay looking at used harnesses. I did indeed order 2 connectors from a guy in Idaho. But I have a sneaky feeling they may not be correct. The pictures looks slightly off. Anyways, eBay allowed to to drill down and look at the pictures to see what other bikes/quads etc might possibly have this connector on it. I settled on a harness off a 14-16 CBR650. The harness has 4 injector connectors on it. WIN! Honda lists the harness as 32104-MJE-D00 which has a full retail price of...... ready for it? $19.18 (as of 09/17) I plan to take this harness apart, and solder it into my harness. I will report back again once it is fixed! Which is hopefully soon.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yaaaay! Gotta love it when a plan comes together!
I agree, I wasn't sure how I was going to break it to the warden that because I got involved, we have to buy a $500+ harness to fix it.

Ya know?, Maybe I will tell her I need to order the complete harness? Chalmers is dead in the water currently. I could take the $ saved and put it towards some front shocks. Hmm, things to ponder.

J

JTW

I agree, I wasn't sure how I was going to break it to the warden that because I got involved, we have to buy a $500+ harness to fix it.

Ya know?, Maybe I will tell her I need to order the complete harness? Chalmers is dead in the water currently. I could take the $ saved and put it towards some front shocks. Hmm, things to ponder.
For 90% of your riding you prolly won't notice the difference.. but on those rough, quick trails. WOW!

Reactions: pct
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have found a cheap solution for this. We are talking less than $20 if your parts guy charges you full price.
I spent some time on ebay looking at used harnesses. I did indeed order 2 connectors from a guy in Idaho. But I have a sneaky feeling they may not be correct. The pictures looks slightly off. Anyways, eBay allowed to to drill down and look at the pictures to see what other bikes/quads etc might possibly have this connector on it. I settled on a harness off a 14-16 CBR650. The harness has 4 injector connectors on it. WIN! Honda lists the harness as 32104-MJE-D00 which has a full retail price of...... ready for it? $19.18 (as of 09/17) I plan to take this harness apart, and solder it into my harness. I will report back again once it is fixed! Which is hopefully soon.
My 2014 CBR650F was stolen last year by one of my stepsons. Wonder if it got stripped and your harness came off it? Lmao.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2014 CBR650F was stolen last year by one of my stepsons. Wonder if it got stripped and your harness came off it? Lmao.
I can send you the harness when I am done with it. I highly doubt it will be of any interest to you though.

Reactions: Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can send you the harness when I am done with it. I highly doubt it will be of any interest to you though.
I appreciate that bud but think I'll pass lol. I already despise that kid enough. Don't need any reminders laying around lol.

Reactions: pct
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!