Picking a trailer size, help

eastenn

eastenn

Dec 18, 2016
Bristol TN
www.fb.com
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm in the market for a trailer, particularly an aluminum one. With it being aluminum, I will probably have it a while so I would like to make sure I get what I want, and one that will accommodate what I may want in a few years. I first was just looking to get one for my Pioneer 700 and that was it, but now I'm thinking I may want to plan ahead and get one big enough to haul an ATV or dirt-bike on too.

I seem to keep finding trailers that are 63" wide, which to me seems like kind of a niche size. My machine is exactly 63" wide, I mean 63.000" wide. I like the idea of keeping the trailer narrow because it seems like most riding areas I go to are on narrow and winding roads. Has anyone else bought a trailer that is just wide enough for their machine? One salesman was trying to talk me up a size saying that you don't have anywhere to step when getting out of the machine after loading it. While I see his point, is it really that big of a deal to others? I've had narrow trailers before, and having another 3 or 4" on each side wouldn't have made it that much better.

What is the shortest trailer you all would recommend for loading a UTV and an ATV in line? Based on specs from pioneers and say a grizzly ATV, I've come up with 16' as minimum length. I don't see myself ever hauling two UTV's in the future, so I don't want to buy an 18' or 20' long trailer when the majority of the time I'm only going to be hauling my pioneer.

If you side load an ATV, (say a grizzly, 50" wheelbase 81" long), the 63" aluminum trailers I've seen don't have much of a rail, more like a square tube down the edges maybe 2" tall.. strapped properly would you feel okay with the ATV side loaded on the 63" trailer?

Thanks for any insight, I can look at the numbers and add up the dimensions on paper but I'm looking for personal experience on what you have used that has worked!

eastenn

eastenn

Dec 18, 2016
Bristol TN
www.fb.com
Ownership

1. 700-4
Just so happens there's a 63" trailer on c-list right now with a pioneer 700 on it. So the stock 700 (60") definitely fits okay on the 63" trailer, but like I said my machine is 63.000000" lol so it would be touching the rails. Alum

J

JTW

This is 14 x 6 1/2.. I wouldn't buy a narrow trailer. Coming from a 12x 6' 4" the width was ok.. but somewhere around 6 1/2 is a good width.. it also allows for a 72" mowing deck, the 6'4" would not. If I'm just having one trailer I'd go with a tandem axel and at least 16'.. I'd rather have 18... but mine and dads p1k's will both not fit on our 18' steel trailer, so we'll be going to a 20' aluminum before long. I really like this little aluminum trailer. It pulls great. If you're JUST wanting enough room for an atv on there with a sxs, I'd say you'd be ok with a 16'. You can always put smaller stuff on a larger trailer but you can't put large stuff on a small trailer.

IMG 2654 IMG 2655

Upstatefreedom

Upstatefreedom

May 25, 2016
Colton,New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just so happens there's a 63" trailer on c-list right now with a pioneer 700 on it. So the stock 700 (60") definitely fits okay on the 63" trailer, but like I said my machine is 63.000000" lol so it would be touching the rails.View attachment 37813

That looks a little too tight for my liking. Especially cruising around bumpy and winding roads. I have a 7'x12' suretrac for my P1K3. Have about 6" on each side, (I have some spacers and slight offset wheels) and a couple feet to spare front or rear, depending on how much tongue weight I may want. I had a 8x8 trailer to haul my old Polaris 500 midsize before. It got a little sketchy at highway speeds. Lol. Especially if I had coolers and gear in the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Where do you live? My buddy has a 7x12 aluminum trailer for sale $1500 but he doesn't have a title too it. In SC we don't need a title for getting a tag.

eastenn

eastenn

Dec 18, 2016
Bristol TN
www.fb.com
Ownership

1. 700-4
Where do you live? My buddy has a 7x12 aluminum trailer for sale $1500 but he doesn't have a title too it. In SC we don't need a title for getting a tag.

I'm in Bristol, TN. You can PM me his contact info or send me the link if he has it listed. Thank you.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
14 foot aluma is perfect 65 inch wide is what I use

Reactions: CURTK
advertisement
swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
IMG 1258
IMG 1259
Awesome, thank you. Is that trailer the 6314 model?
you guessed it. The boards on front help with Rancher 350. And the back boards help so the rear tires don't just sit on that thin side.Im 65"s on rear. I screwed self tappers in it for traction and for piece of mind.You probably don't need the boards but what the hell. Got to be safe and feel secure. It only weighs 480 lbs. I can pull it by hand.

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Do you have a pic of it loaded? I know you have bigger tires too. Ever wish it was wider?
I bought this for Sxs and toys. It's not for wood, or blocks. I haul long lumber but you can't drop sheet on deck or it's dented.

Ps if there is ice on it use caution or you will be on your azz

Reactions: eastenn
eastenn

eastenn

Dec 18, 2016
Bristol TN
www.fb.com
Ownership

1. 700-4
You'll be happy you went the larger route!

It came down to the 6314 or this one. Paid about $800 more for this one, but it has rails and the front sections of rail are actually the ramps for side loading, so they'll always be with the trailer. And I figured the 81" would open up the market to any size utv if I ever need to sell it.

T

TAD123

Dec 25, 2019
Va
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Does he still have trailer

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!