P500 Picking up P520 in a week - plastic color change, plow, other questions

sleepybear

sleepybear

Jun 17, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
With a spooled diff scuffing is gonna happen. Plan your turns accordingly. 3,5 or even 7 point with wheels turning while steering. Been driving trucks on lawns for years. I have 26x12x12 turfs that are on my tractor seasonally but mostly for chains in winter. Not sure how 'round' they are for 35-40mph usage. I top out at 7 or 8mph....
i like this idea as well. and that mower sized turf tire is commonly available. would it be poor on paved surfaces putting around?

Reactions: Smitty335
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
pick up the p520 tomorrow. neighbor has a trailer i can borrow. don't think it has rails, makes me a bit nervous. maybe i should rent one at uhaul for a couple bucks for added security of rails lol.

think i will get a set of wheels/turf tires for putting around the yard/neighborhood use and swap as needed. my commercial mower has 26*12*12 turf tires, i suppose those would work well in the lawn, probably not so much on paved surfaces though. found some on amazon called SunF 25x10-12 25 which look like smooth car tires. still deciding.

Properly strap it and you don't need to rely on rails. That rail probably isn't stopping 1k+ pounds traveling 65+mph anyway in a crash. I think it was Mythbusters that found a box of kleenex in the rear window of a vehicle is enough to kill someone when it becomes a flying projectile in an accident.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Properly strap it and you don't need to rely on rails. That rail probably isn't stopping 1k+ pounds traveling 65+mph anyway in a crash. I think it was Mythbusters that found a box of kleenex in the rear window of a vehicle is enough to kill someone when it becomes a flying projectile in an accident.

That was my thought as well when I read it, just strap it down good and it shouldn't move.

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
rent one at uhaul for a couple bucks for added security of rails

3rding what others said, properly strapping it down, and your fine. I'd also add, U-haul trailers (at least the ones I've used) are usually all beat to crap, noisy, wobbly, clanky and don't always travel in a straight line. If your neighbors trailer is in any decent shape at all, just use that one.

Bisley

Bisley

Apr 14, 2021
West Covina, CA
Ownership

1. 500
I have been at least 2, sometimes 3 quads with no rails for over 20 years. Never even had a strap come loose. Even now it's a P520 or P520 & a quad with zero problems. Just make sure you have a good, dedicated hold down for the strap. And make sure you engage your parking brake!!!

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Congrats! My wife loves to drive our P520 too and that has also facilitated an “open wallet “ of sorts for mods. Now that we have a windshield and top, it’s way better to enjoy just cruising the neighborhood.
Rob

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I forgot to mention, the shifting definitely gets better and so does the sound after you get some breaking miles done. As far as the steering wheel being off center, just pull the center cap off and there is one nut to take the wheel off. Then just pull the wheel and put it back where you have it straight.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I have the 16 gal. Northern Tool sprayer. I like it, but kinda wish I'd gone with the next size up. The pickup is on the bottom on one side. When it sloshes it gets inconsistent spraying, even with half-ish amount left in tank. I've started just backing up, keeping the pickup on the downhill side (that actually helps with the tight-turn-burn in the turf).

I'm currently spraying an acre or two, but with spraying my neighbors' yard and some planned additional clearing, the larger size would be nice. It takes a bit to fill 16 gallons of water.

I have to correct myself: My sprayer is a 16 gallon North Star brand. I like that it can switch between boom spraying and hand wand spraying. Usually mount it on my Foreman, but been putting it on the Critter lately.

20210617 120917

advertisement
WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
I forgot to mention, the shifting definitely gets better and so does the sound after you get some breaking miles done. As far as the steering wheel being off center, just pull the center cap off and there is one nut to take the wheel off. Then just pull the wheel and put it back where you have it straight. View attachment 280840
But first you might check n adjust the toe in👍 Set to 3/32 - 1/8” toe in.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Is it still loud enough that you wear ear plugs or suggest wearing them? I saw one post where they put an aftermarket 'car looking' exhaust on. Think his name was Sol, he suggested hearing protection even with the mod. Sounds like your rubber mod should help with if it is noticeable to the ear. I live in the city so trying to think if I can get the noise down enough for joy rides in the yard or neighborhood without upsetting folks due to the noise. Maybe that's best suited to golf carts. I like all the versatility of the P520 but was hoping to also benefit from some neighborhood use in addition to the trail, plow, and utilitarian side.
They are a little loud in the cab,but I notice when I ride up from behind someone standing,they don't seem to turn and look until I'm very close to them.

sleepybear

sleepybear

Jun 17, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have to correct myself: My sprayer is a 16 gallon North Star brand. I like that it can switch between boom spraying and hand wand spraying. Usually mount it on my Foreman, but been putting it on the Critter lately.

View attachment 281125

Thanks for the pic! I think I will pick up something similar. I like the spray wand + boom option. Then just run wires to battery I suppose

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Thanks for the pic! I think I will pick up something similar. I like the spray wand + boom option. Then just run wires to battery I suppose

Yes, the power cable is detachable, has clips for battery posts. I have a circuit breaker under the hood for my winch; I clip the power cable to that.
After rinsing out the tank & wands, I towel out the tank and store the cable, straps, and drain plug in a plastic bag inside the tank.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Man that blue sure does look sharp. Wish the p1000 was offered in it.
They do offer the 2020 P1K5D in blue. My neighbor has one.

Reactions: Backwoods
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Here it is! Beautiful wife said she likes the blue now. It grew on me also. We took turns driving it throughout the day, she drives it like she stole it. glad the passenger side has a grab bar. Glad I didn't get a golf cart (was tempted just for the neighborhood in town pavement cruising aspect - not our only planned use of course, but part of it) She said she wished it shifted a bit smoother. My understanding is it will smooth out a bit after 100 miles. Drives straight, doesn't pull sideways but the steering wheel is off center a small amount if anyone knows how to adjust / recenter it. A few scratches on the ROPs down to metal (very minor in size) to touch up.

Outside of those updates... we absolutely love the machine! Need to order rear view mirrors and mount my slow moving triangle on the back. Contrary to all the reading I have done on this machine, we both are impressed with the power and smooth ride. Our first sxs, so nothing to compare to lol.

May also try the silent exhaust, although it isn't as loud as we thought. Seems like mixed reviews on that; maybe worth a try.

View attachment 280820 View attachment 280821 View attachment 280822 View attachment 280823

Congratulations on the new ride. The so called silent exhaust is a waste of time and effort for the results obtained. Noise levels will seem greater when running a roof and windshield. The rubber under seat shield that @trigger come up with will help the most on noise and heat from drivers position.

sleepybear

sleepybear

Jun 17, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
After a lot of thought and learning about our use case for the machine after owning it for a few months, we decided to sell and find a different type of machine. The Honda is/was great but it just didn't fit our daily use application, property type, neighborhood. I need turf mode and a quieter ride - maybe a p1000 someday. If we had acreage or time to do the trail riding right now, this machine showed me how great it would be for that.

If I find the right place to post this, I will be listing for sale a couple left over parts. Would be nice to sell as a starter pack bundle to a new member but I'd be fine selling them all separate too. If anyone sees this in the meantime, feel free to message me.
-New KFI plow mount
-New KFI winch mount
-New Honda winch wire harness
-Trigger shield (not modified from as shipped pattern)
-previously used Silent Rider exhaust (for the P500 model) - got from another member here

Reactions: trigger and monaco
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
After a lot of thought and learning about our use case for the machine after owning it for a few months, we decided to sell and find a different type of machine. The Honda is/was great but it just didn't fit our daily use application, property type, neighborhood. I need turf mode and a quieter ride - maybe a p1000 someday. If we had acreage or time to do the trail riding right now, this machine showed me how great it would be for that.

If I find the right place to post this, I will be listing for sale a couple left over parts. Would be nice to sell as a starter pack bundle to a new member but I'd be fine selling them all separate too. If anyone sees this in the meantime, feel free to message me.
-New KFI plow mount
-New KFI winch mount
-New Honda winch wire harness
-Trigger shield (not modified from as shipped pattern)
-previously used Silent Rider exhaust (for the P500 model) - got from another member here
A forum buy/sell section. Hope this helps.