Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Another thing - I know the 520 has no turf mode. that was my only draw to the other brand. However, I can't move away from Honda. my last three motorcycles were Honda and not only resale being fantastic, never had any issue. Anyway, at very low speeds, is not having a turf mode going to cause a lot of turf damage?
Yes and no, you'll get it figured out!

LilRedDonkey

LilRedDonkey

Feb 25, 2021
cheesyland
Ownership

1. 500
turf mode!
748 P354 0000

KyGal83

KyGal83

KGB, SNS, Duchess Sheldon, Ms. Daisy, Natasha
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from Kentucky! Like a previous comment .. I would wait on the plastic change until you receive your unit. When I bought my 500 I initially wanted a red one, but due to lack of supply ended up with a Moose Brown and absolutely love it!! The Blue May grow on you or better yet your wife.. Happy Wife, Happy Life.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
A few thoughts:

1. The turfing isn't THAT bad, but does happen. I use my p52 for lawn spraying/spreading and am making super tight 180* turns back and forth across the whole yard. It scuffs it up in the corners, obviously, but by the next mow you can't even tell. I chalk it up to aeration. This is coming from a guy who's looking for a pristine lawn.

2. The 66" KFI poly is 1lb heavier than the steel equivalent. I haven't purchased a plow yet, but will this coming winter. After much research, I settled on the KFI poly. Its taller, less "sticky", has a $50 replaceable face, and is a smidge heavier. That said, most people seem happy with whatever plow they purchase. The KFI steel is quite popular. If I had a super long driveway to clear, I would probably lean towards an asymmetric County-style.

3. If you're looking for a cheap and not permanent color change, look into plasti-dip. I recently sprayed mine in a metallic brown/bronze because I loved the Moose Brown they offered last year. It also has the added benefit of light scratch protection for the base plastic.

20210601 213557

20210601 213612

Bigtee

Bigtee

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2017
Grayson, KY
Ownership

1. 520

2. 1000-5
A few thoughts:

1. The turfing isn't THAT bad, but does happen. I use my p52 for lawn spraying/spreading and am making super tight 180* turns back and forth across the whole yard. It scuffs it up in the corners, obviously, but by the next mow you can't even tell. I chalk it up to aeration. This is coming from a guy who's looking for a pristine lawn.

2. The 66" KFI poly is 1lb heavier than the steel equivalent. I haven't purchased a plow yet, but will this coming winter. After much research, I settled on the KFI poly. Its taller, less "sticky", has a $50 replaceable face, and is a smidge heavier. That said, most people seem happy with whatever plow they purchase. The KFI steel is quite popular. If I had a super long driveway to clear, I would probably lean towards an asymmetric County-style.

3. If you're looking for a cheap and not permanent color change, look into plasti-dip. I recently sprayed mine in a metallic brown/bronze because I loved the Moose Brown they offered last year. It also has the added benefit of light scratch protection for the base plastic.

View attachment 279944
View attachment 279945
That thing looks great

Reactions: The Green Goat
sleepybear

sleepybear

Jun 17, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Has anyone measured the decibels on the 500? I have been searching the forums, I have found some things about trying to make it quieter but was looking for a general number.

wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
A few thoughts:

View attachment 279944
View attachment 279945
That looks great! How durable is the plastidip when you go thru brush? Does it scratch off when limbs scrape against it?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Has anyone measured the decibels on the 500? I have been searching the forums, I have found some things about trying to make it quieter but was looking for a general number.

Someone's done it, can't remember who. They sent me the readings in a PM before and after they put a shield in. Think they did it with some app on their phone. Don't remember the numbers either but it wasn't as big of a decrease as either one of us expected. Both agreed it's noticeable to the ear though.

advertisement
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
That looks great! How durable is the plastidip when you go thru brush? Does it scratch off when limbs scrape against it?
It's only been on for a few weeks and about 180 miles during the recent RRB trip. I wasn't in heavy brush, but it did get some branches against it, for sure. Only scratch I can find is on the top of the bed rail and I have no idea how it got there. I rubbed something hard enough to scratch into the plastic underneath though.

Seems to handle light scuffs just fine. Anything hard enough to deform the plastic is gonna get into it though.

sleepybear

sleepybear

Jun 17, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Someone's done it, can't remember who. They sent me the readings in a PM before and after they put a shield in. Think they did it with some app on their phone. Don't remember the numbers either but it wasn't as big of a decrease as either one of us expected. Both agreed it's noticeable to the ear though.
Is it still loud enough that you wear ear plugs or suggest wearing them? I saw one post where they put an aftermarket 'car looking' exhaust on. Think his name was Sol, he suggested hearing protection even with the mod. Sounds like your rubber mod should help with if it is noticeable to the ear. I live in the city so trying to think if I can get the noise down enough for joy rides in the yard or neighborhood without upsetting folks due to the noise. Maybe that's best suited to golf carts. I like all the versatility of the P520 but was hoping to also benefit from some neighborhood use in addition to the trail, plow, and utilitarian side.

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Is it still loud enough that you wear ear plugs or suggest wearing them? I saw one post where they put an aftermarket 'car looking' exhaust on. Think his name was Sol, he suggested hearing protection even with the mod. Sounds like your rubber mod should help with if it is noticeable to the ear. I live in the city so trying to think if I can get the noise down enough for joy rides in the yard or neighborhood without upsetting folks due to the noise. Maybe that's best suited to golf carts. I like all the versatility of the P520 but was hoping to also benefit from some neighborhood use in addition to the trail, plow, and utilitarian side.

I don't wear ear plugs, I just crank the sound system. There is a noticeable difference with the shield in as others can testify as well. I guess it comes down to how sensitive you are to the noise. Yeah, it'll never be as quiet as a golf cart. I put a Silent Rider on mine a long time ago but it robbed the machine of power so i took it off and returned it.

Reactions: Bigtee
LilRedDonkey

LilRedDonkey

Feb 25, 2021
cheesyland
Ownership

1. 500
don't know if you can get 26's, but the cheapest would be amazon, e-bay, or maybe chap moto. all depends how much you want to spend. have fun with it!!

Reactions: sleepybear
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Looking forward to being able to spray the lawn with the 520 also. Northern tool boom sprayers? I don't have the yard to justify needing a utv, but if I have one, I am going to use it for the chores!

I have the 16 gal. Northern Tool sprayer. I like it, but kinda wish I'd gone with the next size up. The pickup is on the bottom on one side. When it sloshes it gets inconsistent spraying, even with half-ish amount left in tank. I've started just backing up, keeping the pickup on the downhill side (that actually helps with the tight-turn-burn in the turf).

I'm currently spraying an acre or two, but with spraying my neighbors' yard and some planned additional clearing, the larger size would be nice. It takes a bit to fill 16 gallons of water.

Reactions: trigger
KyGal83

KyGal83

KGB, SNS, Duchess Sheldon, Ms. Daisy, Natasha
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
A few thoughts:

View attachment 279944
View attachment 279945
Great job on the paint! I have the Moose Brown and it looks exactly like mine.

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
With a spooled diff scuffing is gonna happen. Plan your turns accordingly. 3,5 or even 7 point with wheels turning while steering. Been driving trucks on lawns for years. I have 26x12x12 turfs that are on my tractor seasonally but mostly for chains in winter. Not sure how 'round' they are for 35-40mph usage. I top out at 7 or 8mph....

sleepybear

sleepybear

Jun 17, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
pick up the p520 tomorrow. neighbor has a trailer i can borrow. don't think it has rails, makes me a bit nervous. maybe i should rent one at uhaul for a couple bucks for added security of rails lol.

think i will get a set of wheels/turf tires for putting around the yard/neighborhood use and swap as needed. my commercial mower has 26*12*12 turf tires, i suppose those would work well in the lawn, probably not so much on paved surfaces though. found some on amazon called SunF 25x10-12 25 which look like smooth car tires. still deciding.

advertisement