Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Hi guys!

I know there are a few that have removed the rear sway bar on the p1000-5 for slow speed situations. My question is if there is a way to quickly disconnect it.

I'm taking a ride to this place where there is a ton of sand dunes, but also some rock crawling trails. Once we get on the trails we will spend a couple of hours rock crawling. I would like the sway bar connected for the higher speed sand dunes, but would like to quickly disconnect it for the very technical rock crawling sections.

Would it work to just detach one side? or - Would I need to detach both sides and remove it? I'm hoping to just detach it quickly without tire removal for better articulation temporarily.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@snuffnwhisky

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hi guys!

I know there are a few that have removed the rear sway bar on the p1000-5 for slow speed situations. My question is if there is a way to quickly disconnect it.

I'm taking a ride to this place where there is a ton of sand dunes, but also some rock crawling trails. Once we get on the trails we will spend a couple of hours rock crawling. I would like the sway bar connected for the higher speed sand dunes, but would like to quickly disconnect it for the very technical rock crawling sections.

Would it work to just detach one side? or - Would I need to detach both sides and remove it? I'm hoping to just detach it quickly without tire removal for better articulation temporarily.
Get Elka Stage 5 shocks, you can adjust the low speed dampening and you will never need a sway bar.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Hi guys!

I messed with it but looks like you will have to do a bunch of mods to do it right. If you just disconnect 1 link the bar will hit the a arms. If I remember correct, you can't swing the bar up without it hitting the a arms if you disconnect both sides. You could just disconnect 1 side but it may be a little noisy slapping the a arm. To do it right, it looked like the bar needs to rotate up and connect to the top a arms that way you can disconnect both sides and tie it to the frame. There is some photos in my build on it.

Reactions: JTW and joeymt33
Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I disconnected both sides and used steel zip ties and tied up both sides. Several hundred miles and it hasn't been a problem.

Reactions: Smitty335
Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I disconnected both sides and used steel zip ties and tied up both sides. Several hundred miles and it hasn't been a problem.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will probably end up disconnecting both sides and using zip ties.

For those that have removed it, has it made a considerable difference when rock crawling, etc?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks for the replies everyone. I will probably end up disconnecting both sides and using zip ties.

For those that have removed it, has it made a considerable difference when rock crawling, etc?
Yes

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ive been stuck in a middle ground on this. Half my riding is slow on trails, and half is fast on trails, roads, etc. Ive pretty much decided to leave mine on until i can upgrade the suspension. once I do that i plan to remove it.

Reactions: SALTYone
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine was disconnected when I put the arched a-arms on and I went ahead and took it the rest of the way off. While I think the flex is pretty good with it. Without it the tires are better planted at each corner.

I drive like a bat outta hell occasionally and while it is a bit more tippy I haven’t had a pucker moment yet.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!