1000-5 Pioneer Wheels

M

mullinsm24

May 20, 2019
Broken Arrow
Hello,
Long time follower, first time poster. I own a 2018 Pioneer 1000-5. I am currently running the stock wheels and tires. I use my machine for hunting and have taken it in some rough country.

It has always performed well and I have had no significant problems until the other day, when I hit a rock and knocked the front tire off the rim.

I was fortunate that I was able to use a ratchet strap and get the tire reseated without issue. I then continued using the machine for the next few days without any problems.

I was considering upgrading my wheels and tires to a Tusk Teton Bead-lock wheel with the Terrabite tire. I was thinking about running the same size on all 4 wheels. The tire size I was going to go with is the 28x10.00x15 in the 8 ply.

My stock wheels/tires are 27x9.00R14 in the front and 27x11.00R14 in the back, with Maxxis Bighorn tires. So both front and back tires height would go up 1 inch and I would go 1 inch wider in the front and one inch narrower in the back.

Does anyone run with this setup? Do you guys see any problems with me going up in size? I value your guys input and would like your thoughts before I make the purchase. Thank you. Matt B6756913c6416b2d5bc517ced40ee183

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I know this may sound rude but to save you some grief, Did u try looking this up in the search? Your qustions and then some have been answered countless times.
Try that and if u have further questions, shoot away.
Also I wouldnt say your a first time poster tho lol.
Check out my P1 Build, it has the set up and info for what your looking for.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Welcome from upstate central N.Y.
Many good people & information to be found on Honda Pioneer forum.

I had 2014 P700 & now 2018 P500 & 2022 P520.
P700 went from 25x12 to 27x12.
P500 & P520 from 24x12 to 27x12.
Your choice should work fine.
How ever going up on Wheel size Ride Quality will Suffer a little ( do to less tire side wall to cushion bumps ).

Forum Police will be "along soon" as you have Already broken a rule. ( Sorry I typed to Slow he has Been Here )

Hope this is helpful

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I added the picture after I posted the thread.

We seen that an mentioned it in other posts.
Also, when replying to a post dont forget to hit reply then type or the person your replying to wont get a notice that you replied. Just FYI

Aslo, how is your JEI off road tire carrier holding up since you posted about it in 19’?
They are a PITA of a company to deal with. Frankly, they suck ass.
I got rid of mine cuz there customer service and quality control is lackluster at best

M

mullinsm24

May 20, 2019
Broken Arrow
I know this may sound rude but to save you some grief, Did u try looking this up in the search? Your qustions and then some have been answered countless times.
Try that and if u have further questions, shoot away.
Also I wouldnt say your a first time poster tho lol.
Check out my P1 Build, it has the set up and info for what your looking for.

Remington I understand that there are countless post on this subject. Some are very similar to mine. To be clear I was hoping to find someone that runs this exact setup and more importantly has put it to the test.

My machine is stock (no lift). I have been reading through the posts and have yet to find anyone that has installed this exact setup and posted their thoughts after having run it for a substantial amount of time.

Am I missing it? If so please give me the user so I can send them a message. Thanks

M

mullinsm24

May 20, 2019
Broken Arrow
We seen that an mentioned it in other posts.
Also, when replying to a post dont forget to hit reply then type or the person your replying to wont get a notice that you replied. Just FYI

Aslo, how is your JEI off road tire carrier holding up since you posted about it in 19’?
They are a PITA of a company to deal with. Frankly, they suck ass.
I got rid of mine cuz there customer service and quality control is lackluster at best

I haven’t had any issues with the tire carrier. With that said thankfully I haven’t had to deal with the company since I made the purchase.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Welcome from MI, @mullinsm24.

>> To be clear I was hoping to find someone that runs this exact setup and more importantly has put it to the test.

I'm not personally aware of anyone running 28" tires on 15" wheels on a stock P1K5, but maybe someone else here is.

Generally speaking, you can do a 28" tire all the way around (without doing any type of suspension upgrades) if you want, but as was already said, adding more wheel (larger diameter) means less tire (shorter sidewall). That will make the ride a little stiffer. There are plenty of folks who wrap 28x10-14 tires on the stock wheels, but using the stock wheels means no rotating tires and other challenges (spare(s)). You do have to make sure your (new) wheel width and offset is right so you're not banging into things underneath. If I was staying with a 28" tire, I'd do a 14" wheel, not a 15" wheel.

You can fix the tracking (narrower front vs rear) with wheel spacers, but don't go stupid with ones that are too big. Some people say spacers aren't safe because they move the weight out from the hub, but honestly, it's no different than getting a wheel with a different offset and not using a spacer.

As for your wheel and tire choice: I put a set of Tusk Aramid Terrabites (10-ply) on Tusk Uinta beadlock wheels on my '21 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe. I went with 30x10-15 tires on 15x7 5+2 wheels, but I changed my shocks and A-arms to accommodate. Suffice it to say, I do NOT recommend that tire/wheel combo. I don't know if it's the 10-ply tire (thicker bead than the 8-ply), cheap VaChina wheels, or what, but they tend to lose air pressure faster than other tires & beadlock combinations. I'm also not impressed with the tire wear thus far. I won't be purchasing Terrabites again. In fact, I didn't buy Tusk tires or wheels for my '23 Talon FLV, and my experience with the Pioneer's tires and wheels were most of the reason.

Personally, if I was dropping cash into new tires AND wheels, I'd do the required suspension upgrades (shocks and forward A-arms) that would allow me to run a 30" tire (and 15" wheel) instead of settling on 28" tires - which is exactly what I did do.

Good luck.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Hello,
Long time follower, first time poster. I own a 2018 Pioneer 1000-5. I am currently running the stock wheels and tires. I use my machine for hunting and have taken it in some rough country.

It has always performed well and I have had no significant problems until the other day, when I hit a rock and knocked the front tire off the rim.

I was fortunate that I was able to use a ratchet strap and get the tire reseated without issue. I then continued using the machine for the next few days without any problems.

I was considering upgrading my wheels and tires to a Tusk Teton Bead-lock wheel with the Terrabite tire. I was thinking about running the same size on all 4 wheels. The tire size I was going to go with is the 28x10.00x15 in the 8 ply.

My stock wheels/tires are 27x9.00R14 in the front and 27x11.00R14 in the back, with Maxxis Bighorn tires. So both front and back tires height would go up 1 inch and I would go 1 inch wider in the front and one inch narrower in the back.

Does anyone run with this setup? Do you guys see any problems with me going up in size? I value your guys input and would like your thoughts before I make the purchase. Thank you. MattView attachment 408375

The Terrabites are a great tire. Have a couple thousand miles on my 30's on Teton beadlocks with zero issues. A friend of mine put the same size Terrabites you are looking at on his machine and loved it (Blue one in the pic). We went all over TN with zero issues on multiple trips. Up and down Dragon's Back, Widowmaker, Wolfpen in Tackett, etc. No rubbing with the 28's unless you have a skid plate that has those pieces that wrap around to the wheel well. I think you'd like that setup. 5+2 offset for all 4 tires with a 1" spacer in the rear to square it back up (can skip the spacers if the slight difference in width doesn't bother you).

7G4cDcCMBL2zb2bJvuckw1241 h931 s no gmauthuser0

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Just to be clear, @mullinsm24: @Adam490 is recommending the regular Terrabites (8-ply), not the Aramid Terrabites (10-ply).

Again, I think the thicker 10-ply bead on the Aramid is what my issue is with the leaking w/ the Tusk beadlocks.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Couple more pictures with the 28's

IMG 20190921 193707

51xx9MEOU4HZl6yFD3zAw1241 h931 s no gmauthuser0

H4jCGUj16H72bQL w0nMw1241 h931 s no gmauthuser0

Roc8KHOfc2qZb TGd Ggw1071 h803 s no gmauthuser0

JlAp4ao3XrCXY sn5Xxsw1071 h803 s no gmauthuser0

SSjHLN2fEv 5JYF0XvAgw1241 h931 s no gmauthuser0

This is what it looks like when you fold the tierod in half :)

Y5GkKmH3Iu  Z0HvkN7ww1024 h768 s no gmauthuser0

30 minutes later... back in action

GWn 1YL hmG4juiZziLcw1024 h768 s no gmauthuser0

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Just to be clear, @mullinsm24: @Adam490 is recommending the regular Terrabites (8-ply), not the Aramid Terrabites (10-ply).

Again, I think the thicker 10-ply bead on the Aramid is what my issue is with the leaking w/ the Tusk beadlocks.
Correct, I don't know anyone who has had a positive experience with the 10-ply Aramids.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I run 28" Big Horn II's on 14" 5+2 wheels. I have the 1" @RB3offroad spacers on the rear because I like the track width front to rear to be close. I have 11" tires in the rear and 9" on the front and no spare ever.
IMG 0343

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello,

Does anyone run with this setup? Do you guys see any problems with me going up in size? I value your guys input and would like your thoughts before I make the purchase. Thank you. MattView attachment 408375

It all depends on your riding. I found the stock Big Horns had great traction but mine were only 4 ply so I had a few trail side repairs when I ran them. @Scoop and @Adam490 have some great advice to follow and I thought I would share my experience. I decided to go with 28x10R14 all the way around on 14inch 5+2 rims without beadlocks and 1 inch spacers on the back. I've got about 7000 kms on this set up and it has worked well for me. I ran about 12psi and don't need to air down for the type of riding I do. Anything bigger and you will need to replace your a-arms (for offset) and shocks to something with an adjustable preload so it can be lifted. That being said, I have 30's, rear a-arms, more spacers to install this winter when my season is done up here. I already have the fox shocks and front arms installed. If I was to start all over from stock I would go with the arms, shocks, 15 inch rims because LT truck tires will wear a lot better than a UTV tire. So your choice, go with the 28's for an upgrade or bite the bullet and spend some cash because if you're like most of us you're gonna end up with 30's one day. Haha. Here is a pic of my buggy with 28's on 14 inch rims with front only a-arms and fox shocks with a little bit of preload. Good luck!

IMG 6343

M

mullinsm24

May 20, 2019
Broken Arrow
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I am not really in a big hurry to make this change.

It sounds like everyone is in agreement that the 28s will work great. Keep the rims at 14. With a spacer in the back.

Thanks again.

Jas sxs

Jas sxs

Oct 15, 2021
rankin county ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Terrabites are a great tire. Have a couple thousand miles on my 30's on Teton beadlocks with zero issues. A friend of mine put the same size Terrabites you are looking at on his machine and loved it (Blue one in the pic). We went all over TN with zero issues on multiple trips. Up and down Dragon's Back, Widowmaker, Wolfpen in Tackett, etc. No rubbing with the 28's unless you have a skid plate that has those pieces that wrap around to the wheel well. I think you'd like that setup. 5+2 offset for all 4 tires with a 1" spacer in the rear to square it back up (can skip the spacers if the slight difference in width doesn't bother you).

View attachment 408377
i run the 30 x10x14 carnivores and love them , a friend of mine is running the terabytes and loves them the tread pattern is all most identical to mine at a round 130.00 a tire cheaper my next go-around will be the terabytes

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!