P1000 Pioneer 1000-5 OEM Full Cab Enclosure Questions

SH21

SH21

Mar 18, 2021
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you just going with the soft front doors, or are you also getting something for the rear panels or behind the main cab?
I'm going with the soft front doors and the fabric mid panel to enclose the front for winter riding/ice fishing, order was placed today through Ronayers. Eventually I'll get the rear soft panel and rear fabric doors once the kid(s) are older and actually ride out back.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Does the CEC enclosure front doors open with the OEM doors? or do you have to upzip/fiddle with the upper?
Yes but the zippers are very robust and easy to undo. It's only an easy1/2 zip no un snapping and your in then the double zipper zips up from the inside. Takes u 2 min total and your done. If you need it quicker than that well......you get the drift

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
That's what I thought I saw somewhere else. Most likely this helps with the "sealing" on the cab.

I'm going with the Honda OEM soft front doors mainly due to the opening/closing being more like a true door.
From what I've gathered from all the reading and investigation I've done RE: all the various options available for enclosing your cabin:

If you want a better seal, you go with the CEC at the expense of easy opening/closing.
If you want ease of opening/closing, go OEM at the expense of sealing.

I made my choice based on how I plan to use it:

If you were working the farm and had to get in and out every 3 minutes to mend fences or feed livestock (more utilitarian use), I'd go OEM doors.

If you were going to ride for longer periods of time (more recreational use), I preferred the better sealing enclosure.

SH21

SH21

Mar 18, 2021
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
From what I've gathered from all the reading and investigation I've done RE: all the various options available for enclosing your cabin:

If you want a better seal, you go with the CEC at the expense of easy opening/closing.
If you want ease of opening/closing, go OEM at the expense of sealing.

I made my choice based on how I plan to use it:

If you were working the farm and had to get in and out every 3 minutes to mend fences or feed livestock (more utilitarian use), I'd go OEM doors.

If you were going to ride for longer periods of time (more recreational use), I preferred the better sealing enclosure.
100% agree, do what works for you.

we do a lot of cusk fishing through the ice, which involves frequent stops to check each set line, so opening and closing was a large part of my decision.

Trevan

Trevan

Sep 1, 2019
Milton, ON. Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Also, side note on your tracks. How do you like running those in winter? Do you remove them in summer? Whats the impact they have on gas mileage in real world driving?
The tracks are great and have improved access to the camp in winter. I can carry in one trip what took 3 by snowmobile and it’s comfortable. I don't get stuck anymore than I did on the snowmobile and its been easier to get out with the winch and couple of traction mats.
I put the tracks on late November which usually means snow on the ground through to “mud” season late march. I am thinking they require 1/3 more fuel - maybe more. Less energy to turn the drive sprocket but speed is a lot less than indicated. Sort of like driving in low gear.

JC

Reactions: 05Willys and Lady01
Trevan

Trevan

Sep 1, 2019
Milton, ON. Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
With your soft cab set up, is that oem honda? And do you leave it parked outside or inside? The local shop here said the majority of complaints about it fitting properly or seams breaking was from outdoor exposure for long term.
OEM Honda. Usually stored under a cover or a garage in the winter. No signs of deteriorating fabric but then again the doors are only on October to May.

B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand
OEM Honda. Usually stored under a cover or a garage in the winter. No signs of deteriorating fabric but then again the doors are only on October to May.

How long does it usually take you to remove the doors and back panels? Did you have to do any permanent drilling to install?

B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The tracks are great and have improved access to the camp in winter. I can carry in one trip what took 3 by snowmobile and it’s comfortable. I don't get stuck anymore than I did on the snowmobile and its been easier to get out with the winch and couple of traction mats.
I put the tracks on late November which usually means snow on the ground through to “mud” season late march. I am thinking they require 1/3 more fuel - maybe more. Less energy to turn the drive sprocket but speed is a lot less than indicated. Sort of like driving in low gear.

JC

Any complaints so far on the tracks? Also, if your using more fuel, is it safe to assume your also in 4 hi or lo while using them? Could that also be effecting the fuel mileage?

And on those as well, is it fairly easy to remove and then re-install? Or is it a pretty difficult process? And did you need to do any permanent modifications to accommodate them?

Trevan

Trevan

Sep 1, 2019
Milton, ON. Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
How long does it usually take you to remove the doors and back panels? Did you have to do any permanent drilling to install?
Doors - off 2 minutes a side - on 5 minutes as there is a threaded connection that is a little fiddly. The install required a few holes and a bunch of trim to install. Took a couple of hours. Not hard and to get a feel for it look for the install instructions online. I have never taken the soft back panel off and its attached by velcro tabs to the roll cage & the back of the seats.

Trevan

Trevan

Sep 1, 2019
Milton, ON. Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Any complaints so far on the tracks? Also, if your using more fuel, is it safe to assume your also in 4 hi or lo while using them? Could that also be effecting the fuel mileage?

And on those as well, is it fairly easy to remove and then re-install? Or is it a pretty difficult process? And did you need to do any permanent modifications to accommodate them?
No complaints about the tracks and they are holding up well. There is about a 30% reduction in actual ground speed vs the speedo/engine speed and I believe that's the primary reason for higher gas consumption. Drive mostly in high but when heavily loaded low is needed. I find I have to use the paddles a lot to downshift when in high.

I take the sxs to the dealer to put on the tracks and it cost approx. $125. It takes a little more than an hour to take them off and put the wheels back on. Some mods to the A arm skid plates done by the dealership and I don't think its that hard to install but they have a lift that gets things lined up better than my home setup.

Last edited:
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the honda soft front doors and the soft rear doors for my kids. I believe the doors seal up pretty well, but you will soon find all the other gaps around the cab. I made my own version of Montana's shifter cover, but soon found that there is quite abit of air that enters in the tilt steering wheel slot. The biggest gap is around the lower doors. A friend of mine installed some weatherstripping around the lower factory front doors on his rig and it helps alot, but the largest gap is around the lower rear doors. Alot of dust enters the cab through the big gaps below the door. I have recently installed the fabric mid panel until the kids are ready to ride some more and it helps with the dust in the front of the cab. I don't believe any of the door options are going to be a cure all, but for what they are I am happy with the "wind deflector" honda doors.

B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand
No complaints about the tracks and they are holding up well. There is about a 30% reduction in actual ground speed vs the speedo/engine speed and I believe that's the primary reason for higher gas consumption. Drive mostly in high but when heavily loaded low is needed. I find I have to use the paddles a lot to downshift when in high.

I take the sxs to the dealer to put on the tracks and it cost approx. $125. It takes a little more than an hour to take them off and put the wheels back on. Some mods to the A arm skid plates done by the dealership and I don't think its that hard to install but they have a lift that gets things lined up better than my home setup.

Did the tracks void any warranty you had?

B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have the honda soft front doors and the soft rear doors for my kids. I believe the doors seal up pretty well, but you will soon find all the other gaps around the cab. I made my own version of Montana's shifter cover, but soon found that there is quite abit of air that enters in the tilt steering wheel slot. The biggest gap is around the lower doors. A friend of mine installed some weatherstripping around the lower factory front doors on his rig and it helps alot, but the largest gap is around the lower rear doors. Alot of dust enters the cab through the big gaps below the door. I have recently installed the fabric mid panel until the kids are ready to ride some more and it helps with the dust in the front of the cab. I don't believe any of the door options are going to be a cure all, but for what they are I am happy with the "wind deflector" honda doors.

I have read a few posts about people doing the door sealing. My question, because we cross water often and deal with deep snow.... Dont you have draining issues? Or even it holding water?

G

GearHeadChad

Jun 8, 2017
Fort McMurray, Alberta
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went with the OEM soft doors all the way around on the PK5....really not impressed tbh. I guess for the price of the machine/accessories I expected a lot tighter fit. Yes they hold a bit of heat in during the cold winter months and are definitely better than having nothing at all but really for the price I wish I would have just made an enclosure for it.

Also the front doors need extra straps to hold the top of them closed if you have to trailer them or are driving at any speed at all as they tent to open up with any wind at all so on the highway they are really susceptible to damage.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I went with the OEM soft doors all the way around on the PK5....really not impressed tbh. I guess for the price of the machine/accessories I expected a lot tighter fit. Yes they hold a bit of heat in during the cold winter months and are definitely better than having nothing at all but really for the price I wish I would have just made an enclosure for it.

Also the front doors need extra straps to hold the top of them closed if you have to trailer them or are driving at any speed at all as they tent to open up with any wind at all so on the highway they are really susceptible to damage.
Not to mention there useless if you chop your top ;)

Reactions: toddvdh
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have read a few posts about people doing the door sealing. My question, because we cross water often and deal with deep snow.... Dont you have draining issues? Or even it holding water?
I haven't got around to sealing mine, but I don't think you will have any problem with water or snow. It just helps seal it but there is still a little gap around part of it. I was worried about it staying attached but he has had good luck with it staying for the last 2 years. I just wanted to make a it known that there is a gap around the lower door with whichever soft doors you choose. I now alot of people have the CEC enclosure and really like it but I didn't want to unzip it to get the door closed. I also looked at the Seizmic version but was worried about the velcro strip staying on the lower factory door. So I went with the factory soft doors and am actually pleased with the way they work. I'm sure there are not too many around but stay away from the first gens if you do go with the honda doors. The second gen (I believe ends in 212) has a plastic piece with the weather stripping that contacts the top of the door and a piece on the front that keeps it sealed. My biggest complaint like alot of others is having a set of mirrors that work for the passenger door but with a little work you can make some work.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!