Pioneer 1000-5 or Wolvie X-4

Jun 21, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just looking for pro and con facts here, not biased opinions. With that said, I've sold my YXZ and am looking for the next project only this time around the wife insists on a bed to haul gardening items around. Most of my rigs are ridden on gravel roads (30mph) to wherever I'm going, whether it be a grocery/beer run or a full day trail ride. Our trails consist of rocks, roots, steep hills, tight trees at times and a few creeks with decent mud every so often. I'm torn between the Honda and Wolverine. Here are my questions.

1. Is it possible to shift the Honda into high and keep the rpms low while cruising the gravel? I absolutely hate how the CVT's need to be wound up to keep the clutches engaged. I had a Maverick that drove me crazy due to revving at 7k RPM while trying to cruise along nice and easy.

2. Is the heat as bad as I read about or is it easily remedied? I normally line interior panels on all of my UTVs with metallic faced FatMat in order to keep the heat and sound at minimal levels so I'm no stranger to this problem.

3. Will the clutches hold with 30" tires?
I plan to go with 30" Carnivores as they are one of the lighter 30's on the market. I read a lot about the clutches in the Pioneer but it sounds like the problem has been resolved on '18s unless someone goes full retard and deliberately tries to stick the car in a situation where it doesn't belong.

4. Reverse? What's the story here? I don't like the idea of not being able to back out of a bad situation.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Reactions: BWAF
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just looking for pro and con facts here, not biased opinions. With that said, I've sold my YXZ and am looking for the next project only this time around the wife insists on a bed to haul gardening items around. Most of my rigs are ridden on gravel roads (30mph) to wherever I'm going, whether it be a grocery/beer run or a full day trail ride. Our trails consist of rocks, roots, steep hills, tight trees at times and a few creeks with decent mud every so often. I'm torn between the Honda and Wolverine. Here are my questions.

1. Is it possible to shift the Honda into high and keep the rpms low while cruising the gravel? I absolutely hate how the CVT's need to be wound up to keep the clutches engaged. I had a Maverick that drove me crazy due to revving at 7k RPM while trying to cruise along nice and easy.

....Put it in the gear you want. It has auto or manual and both work great!

2. Is the heat as bad as I read about or is it easily remedied? I normally line interior panels on all of my UTVs with metallic faced FatMat in order to keep the heat and sound at minimal levels so I'm no stranger to this problem.

....it will have the heat solution somewhat resolved. The fat mat would certainly help as well. It's an easy remedy.

3. Will the clutches hold with 30" tires?
I plan to go with 30" Carnivores as they are one of the lighter 30's on the market. I read a lot about the clutches in the Pioneer but it sounds like the problem has been resolved on '18s unless someone goes full retard and deliberately tries to stick the car in a situation where it doesn't belong.

.....Clutches will hold no problem. Lots of guys running 30's

4. Reverse? What's the story here? I don't like the idea of not being able to back out of a bad situation.

.....I've not had any issues with reverse.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
This is a Honda site so you’ll get some bias just as you would on the Yami site. Here’s my honest opinion non-biased as asked for.
We had problems with clutches on a Pioneer and had considered an x4 and put some heavy miles in very rough terrain in one. I liked a few things but it just wasn’t as well liked and quickly turned back to the p1000.

It’s easy to keep r’s low on a Pioneer. Best part of the machine is the ability to run it how is needed or wanted. 3 fully different modes gets the job done well. Engine breaking is to die for!
However Yamaha is by far the best cvt and the x4 does run very quiet. It does engage under low r’s so it’s not like Polaris or Can-am.
The heat was a deal in the Pioneer in comparison for sure, but most all have some heat. The x4 has no real heat problems anywhere so that’s nice but the Pioneer has had updated heat shielding which helps and a simple fan takes care of the rest. I prefer the Pioneer without the heat fix but running a fan. You can control the heat that way (easy deal seriously) so you have heat when you want it.
Originally it seemed some Pioneers had clutch issues and some didn’t. Part seemed some machines and part seemed driver or usage. I had problems with one yet not another. Some people had problems in same conditions as others that didn’t. The improved clutch cover that comes with the newer ones (also available for free in older ones as they come out) really seems to be what was needed. I do believe this has made the machine itself more solid and also allows for mistakes. Keep in mind belts can have issues as well.
Yamaha has the least problems from belt failures because of thier belt/clutch setup.
I would still jump on it a bit in reverse. Getting on the throttle quickly engages the clutches quicker and more solidly. Look at the Pioneer as a manual with an auto cluch kinda. Jump on it, you don’t want to release clutch slowly on a car right? Well same here. Same goes for belts, if you kitty foot the throttle anything out there is slipping except for maybe a Pioneer 700 lol.

Don’t worry too much about everything, Honda has done a good job about getting things cleaned up. They are planning to take a heavy hit in Sxs market so they still need the reputation they have. P1000 came out a little quickly but like said they are doing good to get it perfect.
There is no way I’d take the x4 over the p1000 after running one and didn’t but everyone has thier own flavor and the x4 is a fine rig too.
That’s all coming from a family that owns a Wolverine 700 R-Spec as well and do like that rig a lot, in fact I wouldn’t trade it for the x4 even though it’s noisier and less refined, but that’s more of a sport.

Last edited:

Jun 21, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is a Honda site so you’ll get some bias just as you would on the Yami site. Here’s my honest opinion non-biased as asked for.
We had problems with clutches on a Pioneer and had considered an x4 and put some heavy miles in very rough terrain in one. I liked a few things but it just wasn’t as well liked and quickly turned back to the p1000.

It’s easy to keep r’s low on a Pioneer. Best part of the machine is the ability to run it how is needed or wanted. 3 fully different modes gets the job done well. Engine breaking is to die for!
However Yamaha is by far the best cvt and the x4 does run very quiet. It does engage under low r’s so it’s not like Polaris or Can-am.
The heat was a deal in the Pioneer in comparison for sure, but most all have some heat. The x4 has no real heat problems anywhere so that’s nice but the Pioneer has had updated heat shielding which helps and a simple fan takes care of the rest. I prefer the Pioneer without the heat fix but running a fan. You can control the heat that way (easy deal seriously) so you have heat when you want it.
Originally it seemed some Pioneers had clutch issues and some didn’t. Part seemed some machines and part seemed driver or usage. I had problems with one yet not another. Some people had problems in same conditions as others that didn’t. The improved clutch cover that comes with the newer ones (also available for free in older ones as they come out) really seems to be what was needed. I do believe this has made the machine itself more solid and also allows for mistakes. Keep in mind belts can have issues as well.
Yamaha has the least problems from belt failures because of thier belt/clutch setup.
I would still jump on it a bit in reverse. Getting on the throttle quickly engages the clutches quicker and more solidly. Look at the Pioneer as a manual with an auto cluch kinda. Jump on it, you don’t want to release clutch slowly on a car right? Well same here. Same goes for belts, if you kitty foot the throttle anything out there is slipping except for maybe a Pioneer 700 lol.

Don’t worry too much about everything, Honda has done a good job about getting things cleaned up. They are planning to take a heavy hit in Sxs market so they still need the reputation they have. P1000 came out a little quickly but like said they are doing good to get it perfect.
There is no way I’d take the x4 over the p1000 after running one and didn’t but everyone has thier own flavor and the x4 is a fine rig too.
That’s all coming from a family that owns a Wolverine 700 R-Spec as well and do like that rig a lot, in fact I wouldn’t trade it for the x4 even though it’s noisier and less refined, but that’s more of a sport.

Thanks for the lengthy response CP. After looking at and sitting in both machines on the same floor, my wife and I were both drawn more to the Honda. I guess I just need a little reassurance that I'm picking the unit which will best serve my needs with the least amount of drama. It's been 15yrs since my last one but I believe there's another Honda in our future.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thanks for the lengthy response CP. After looking at and sitting in both machines on the same floor, my wife and I were both drawn more to the Honda. I guess I just need a little reassurance that I'm picking the unit which will best serve my needs with the least amount of drama. It's been 15yrs since my last one but I believe there's another Honda in our future.
I tried to keep it honest imo:) I am a little bit of a fanboy to Honda but we’ve owed a lot of Honda’s and Yami’s, they are 1 and 2 in that order for us always now. But the Pioneer is a beast that does a little of everything very well.
Post pics of your new ride either way, we love pictures!

Last edited:
Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was looking at both machines as well. They were the only 2 I was even considering due to our needs. We replaced our golf cart for everyday around the house use. This included the gardening and the kids running to the neighbor's type thing. The main points for us were the pioneer gave us an actual bed to use when we didn't have extra kids around. We pull the front doors off when home and it is truly easier to get in and out of than the golf cart. The wolverine had neither of those. We leave it in turf mode 90% of the time and it doesn't tear up the yard at all. It has a tighter turning radius and more ground clearance and suspension travel. The X4 was brand new and I bought a left over 2017 deluxe so I also had a $4000.00 savings. Which I still mostly spent on additions. Lol

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
I think you’ll be happy with your decision to purchase the Pioneer! We currently have 2, 2016 models. One is a 3 seater the other a 5seater.

As @CumminsPusher and others have stated the Pioneer is a solid reliable rig. There have been a few issues that I think Honda has addressed effectively (heat, Clutch) on the current models, and these are easily done on the older models. There are factory upgrades for both of these issues and the cost is covered by Honda.

On my 3seater, I did my own heat shield , and fans for the heat issue ( absolutely a must when we lived down south) and it does not have the clutch upgrade yet. I have had no mechanical problems or issues , and this rig gets driven as hard as anyone’s

The 5 seater has had the factory heat and clutch upgrade, no problems with this rig either.

Bottom line is , there is no issues with the Pioneer that should give you concerns about a purchase if it suits your family’s needs.

Also, if you decide to purchase the Yamaha, don’t feel you have to leave this forum. Good folks here !

D

Dasmoeturhead

My 2016 (no updates) P3 is a friggin tank. I work the crap out of it on the property, then take,the trash to town (14 mi round trip), then I might clean the seat off, and take my lovely wife to dinner in it. Yeah its a pretty versatile machine.
I also use reverse on steep terrain always almost daily. No clutch or reverse issues. Heat in my opinion is a concern. I deal with it. Its not a Caddy. I also find it loud when I'm on the road, but I have nothing to compare it to. Its my 1st SXS. Had motorcycles my whole life. I'd buy it again in a NY Second.

advertisement

Jun 21, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was looking at both machines as well. They were the only 2 I was even considering due to our needs. We replaced our golf cart for everyday around the house use. This included the gardening and the kids running to the neighbor's type thing. The main points for us were the pioneer gave us an actual bed to use when we didn't have extra kids around. We pull the front doors off when home and it is truly easier to get in and out of than the golf cart. The wolverine had neither of those. We leave it in turf mode 90% of the time and it doesn't tear up the yard at all. It has a tighter turning radius and more ground clearance and suspension travel. The X4 was brand new and I bought a left over 2017 deluxe so I also had a $4000.00 savings. Which I still mostly spent on additions. Lol

The turf mode I think was the final deal sealer. At least with that I can trust my wife to drive in the yard without destroying the grass and then blaming me or the machine.

Thanks a lot everyone, it definitely helped me make the decision and I'll be sure to post pics of my mods as I go.

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R

Great post. One sentence in 1. says it best. "Engine braking is to die for!" This is one of the absolute things I love about this machine.

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Turf mode is great but I still get flogged by the wife for tearing up the front drive to the house. It's over a quarter mile of awesome gravel with several sweet turns making it a fun as hell slalom...ya, i'm tearing up the drive, but I'm the one that has to go back with the skip loader and groom it...lol Put that biitch in sport mode and RIP!

T

Tomy

Feb 12, 2018
Needles
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I find the huge front seat and ease getting on an out real selling points plus running at low rpm a big plus
Btw I have a Trex4 a Rino and once an early RZR no problem with any but the Honda gets my vote.

Reactions: BWAF

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!