ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
You will be very surprised how capable your machine is to plow. The only time I have ever had a challenge plowing snow with an ATV or side by side is when we had a very late snow storm 4 or 5 years ago. We got a solid foot of this stuff and it was incredibly wet and heavy - it was slushy at the ground level. I had a Suzuki Quadrunner 500 4x4 with a plow that was only 48" or so - just wide enough to cover the tracks. I opened the garage door and dropped the plow and as soon as my tires got off the cement she started spinning and bouncing. I had to plow with the blade a few inches off the ground and then go back over everything and finish the job. Burned almost a whole tank of gas plowing that day. It was nuts. With normal snow like what you have, it will push deeper snow than the blade is tall. The 1000 is super heavy too, and that really helps. It will spin all four tires before you run out of power. I'd recommend using manual mode so it's not trying to shift gears under heavy load.

R

rodhersh

Aug 31, 2018
Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You will be very surprised how capable your machine is to plow. The only time I have ever had a challenge plowing snow with an ATV or side by side is when we had a very late snow storm 4 or 5 years ago. We got a solid foot of this stuff and it was incredibly wet and heavy - it was slushy at the ground level. I had a Suzuki Quadrunner 500 4x4 with a plow that was only 48" or so - just wide enough to cover the tracks. I opened the garage door and dropped the plow and as soon as my tires got off the cement she started spinning and bouncing. I had to plow with the blade a few inches off the ground and then go back over everything and finish the job. Burned almost a whole tank of gas plowing that day. It was nuts. With normal snow like what you have, it will push deeper snow than the blade is tall. The 1000 is super heavy too, and that really helps. It will spin all four tires before you run out of power. I'd recommend using manual mode so it's not trying to shift gears under heavy load.
Thank you!

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got a 2016 1000-5. Do you think it can handle this much snow with a Boss V-Plow? The driveway is about 1/4 mile long. The highest drift can get upwards of 4'. When the wind drifts it back in it's about the consistency of wet sand (almost).

View attachment 169287

View attachment 169286

Most of the time it will work fine, but keep it wider than needed to have a place for the new snow, plow snow with the wind when possible and keep up with the storms. I have a Denali Pro also but not that much snow to deal with here.

R

rodhersh

Aug 31, 2018
Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you all for your replies and wisdom. I’ve decided to go with a tractor. Living at 7800’ of elevation in this part of Wyoming I think the Pioneer could keep up about 1/2 the time. We get lots of snow but the wind is the real problem. These drifts are hard and I just don’t think the Pioneer is heavy enough. Plus, I don’t want to ruin it, I prefer to keep it as a toy.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you all for your replies and wisdom. I’ve decided to go with a tractor. Living at 7800’ of elevation in this part of Wyoming I think the Pioneer could keep up about 1/2 the time. We get lots of snow but the wind is the real problem. These drifts are hard and I just don’t think the Pioneer is heavy enough. Plus, I don’t want to ruin it, I prefer to keep it as a toy.

Smart...
Coming from first hand experience plowing in Wyoming.. it's the wind.

B

btrebs13

Sep 16, 2018
Hudson, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would like to hear from someone who plows before I buy the plow. I’m sorry, I should have been more clear.

Thank you for your reply!
I have a plow and just plowed an 8” dump followed by a foot dump in Northern WI. I have the 1000-5. You may need to put a sand bag or two in the back end and have 4w lock on.

E5BF0CCA 5F88 4683 B336 6CDBBE8AD9BC

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
or shovel some snow into the box.

I use a plastic tote filled with sand and ratchet strap it to the tailgate. Also when we really get into the thick of winter I’ve got tire chains for the rears.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I just had to plow a spot that really pushed the limits of my rig.

I learned that power of the P1000 is not the issue, traction is. My base model tires are okay but man they kinda stink for plowing deep snow.

My Honda starts to go side ways in the 20” stuff.

:D

Reactions: Plumber32
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had built a straight plow with hydraulic turn. Just recently bought a boss V plow and what a difference. First big snow of the year and it's working great.

advertisement
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
At my property near Gaylord Mi were in the snow belt. We get $hit tons of snow, sometimes it’s close to waist deep. I thought about the Boss V plow but I’m not there all the time to maintain it so I bought a Western MVP3 V plow for my super duty Instead so I’d have the power to push the snow and glad I did. Now if I lived there year round and could maintain the driveway I’d have that boss plow. But I’d be real interested to see if it would cut through the deep hard pack of the 1/8 of a mile I have to push.

J

Jerryy

Nov 15, 2016
Freedom, Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I live in Western Wyoming, have a 6' Denali with angling mechanism on my 2016 Pioneer 1000-5. I pushed my 300' driveway and 1/4-mile of road during the worst winter in 20-years (1999?). I cannot say our snow was like wet sand but my rig worked fine. I had to keep up with it during heavy storms especially with wind causing the snow to drift. Did not use chains on my stock tires. If it got to be too much I just took "smaller bites."

Good luck.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't had to do it with my 1000 this year, but when we had our 700 and used it for plowing, chaining up all the way around sure made a difference. It's amazing how much more powerful and capable these bikes are with their added weight vs an atv. When I used my old foreman I would find myself lifting the plow up just to get through the drifts, then kept working my way down. These UTV's are a game changer.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I wouldn't be afraid to tackle it with my P500 and 5' blade. :)

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
It plows like a beast. Upstate, NY we get heavy wet deep lake effect snow. I've gone through 2 feet with now problems at all. It's a Denali 72" with a Hydro-turn.

View attachment 182418
Nice!

how well do your pod lights work? Do you wish that you had a light bar instead?

Last edited:
OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Nice!

how well do your pod lights work? Do you wish that you had a light bar instead?

Not at all, I love the pods. Plenty bright and they are out of the way. I go through a lot of brush and low trees so I though a bar on top would get damaged or ripped off. I thought if I put a bar below the windshield it would flash off the plow blade when I had it raised. These pods in that location are working very well for me. You see the orange strobe on top? It's held in place by a magnet so if I do go under some low brush or trees it gets knock off into the bed. That has worked well too!

Reactions: Vikes79 and Mudwing
DAV11

DAV11

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also have the 72 inch Denali with hydro turn. It will plow it, just get it before it hardens.
20200214 085538

Last edited:
Reactions: Vikes79
VaHillbilly

VaHillbilly

NTC immigrant gardner
Supporting Member
Nov 16, 2018
Sw VA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Your rig will push ALOT more than you think and is so much more maneuverable than a pickup if that matters in your case.

Reactions: Mudwing
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!