P1000 Pioneer 1000 or Can Am Defender

Sarbuck

Sarbuck

Sep 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey all,

My brother is going to buy either a Honda Pioneer 1000 or a Can Am defender 1000. He currently has a Polaris Ranger, and I don't need to go into why he's getting rid of that POS. He's ridden in my Pioneer and sees the difference, and I've shown him all the advantages of the Pioneer over any other machine. However, there are things about the Can Am he really likes. Anybody out there had both machines and can give me real world comparisons to share? Thanks!

B

branr1

Aug 20, 2021
Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had a 2020 Defender HD10 6x6. It was a great machine. I did have to add a locker to the front differential to get a truly locked front end. But as far as power, reliability and features go I was pleased. I also have a 2016 Pioneer 1000 that's been an amazing machine. I have a little over 4,000 miles on it right now and beyond some abuse its suffered (Teenage Son) its been a trouble free machine. I wish the Pioneer had a lower low range and lower reverse gearing. Some of this has been resolved with the new 2022 models I believe. The Honda has had great reliability and the Transmission sets it apart.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ride with a friend that has a defender 2020. Very comparable as far as performance, power,handling etc. He wishes he had paddle shifters. Personally after driving the DCT I would never go to a belt drive. Canned Ham accessories seem to be quite expensive also, but what isn't. He hasn't had any problems and it seems to be reliable for him. He runs hard too.

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I love my pioneer I just wish they had the doors and the windshield and stuff that fits like the Polaris or the Can Am does I would not buy a side by side with the belt drive been there before

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hey all,

My brother is going to buy either a Honda Pioneer 1000 or a Can Am defender 1000. He currently has a POO POO, and I don't need to go into why he's getting rid of that POS. He's ridden in my Pioneer and sees the difference, and I've shown him all the advantages of the Pioneer over any other machine. However, there are things about the Can Am he really likes. Anybody out there had both machines and can give me real world comparisons to share? Thanks!
Fixed it for ya! ;) 🥳

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I also have a 2016 Pioneer 1000
Welcome! Congrats on your first post since joining 9 months ago. Glad you went with the Honda. I own 4 Cannd Ham’s (ski-doo’s) there sleds tho.
We need pics of this Pioneer….
Pics Or It Didnt Happen! ;)

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey all,

My brother is going to buy either a Honda Pioneer 1000 or a Can Am defender 1000. He currently has a Polaris Ranger, and I don't need to go into why he's getting rid of that POS. He's ridden in my Pioneer and sees the difference, and I've shown him all the advantages of the Pioneer over any other machine. However, there are things about the Can Am he really likes. Anybody out there had both machines and can give me real world comparisons to share? Thanks!
This is the last defender I rode with, very unimpressed. The tie-rods are complete junk.

FF7E731C 51DA 49FE 812A 0B9597E3ADB7

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hey all,

I've got 25k miles of seat time in two Pioneer 1000-5 over 6 years and 2k miles of seat time in the 2022 Commander XT as a guide for a local SXS rental place. Between those 2 models, hands down Honda all day long. I have driven 2 different Commander XT with under 200 miles on them and the continual squeaking of the suspension combined with the engine RPM at 4500- 5500 at 12- 20 mph get annoying real quick. I'm not impressed with the Can Am interior but it does ride better than any of the Pioneer models even the ones with Fox QS3 shocks.

Other than the seats and ride, I don't find any draw to the CanAm, also radiators clog up with mud constantly and can require cleaning out twice in a long day without getting into really muddy trails.

A third option to seriously consider:

I did however, after much reservation, as I am a diehard Honda guy. Bought a 22 Yamaha RMAX4 1000 XT-R to replace MY P1K5 LE as a trail machine due to a more comfortable ride for my wife. Although I have only 200 miles on it, it has exceeded my expectations and would recommend giving it strong consideration over the CanAm Commander. The Yamaha is not any quieter than the CanAm as it too is a CVT but has far better engine braking and drive system than CanAm, is much nicer than either Pioneer or Commander and rides best of the 3 machines.

Good luck with making a decision.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey all,

My son-in-law has a defender with all the goodies. A/C; Heater; Power windows etc., however, it won’t go where I’d like to ride. His needs are totally different than mine.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My son-in-law has a defender with all the goodies. A/C; Heater; Power windows etc., however, it won’t go where I’d like to ride. His needs trails totally different than mine.
Saw a guy with one of those out on the trails last year. It was late season and we were getting snowed on. I've got almost full snowmobile gear on, standing there talking.

Dude rolls up with a friend and his kid in there wearing t-shirts, rolls down the power window, 70+ degrees in the cabin.

Quite a different riding experience, to say the least. :D

Sarbuck

Sarbuck

Sep 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks all for the replies...great info. As I suspected, advantages to both machines but Pioneer better overall. I tell people the 1000-5 is the leatherman/Remington 870 of UTV's...does it all well but nothing perfect and damned reliable. I sent a few pics of your replies to my brother in law and he let me know they made a decision and have ordered the Can Am for one reason....the better cab and heater system from the factory. He's a diehard elk hunter and he wants the warm cabin between hikes. I get it but will tell him on behalf of the forum that he made the wrong decision. I sent your reply @Russ989 just to piss him off! Thanks again all.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks all for the replies...great info. As I suspected, advantages to both machines but Pioneer better overall. I tell people the 1000-5 is the leatherman/Remington 870 of UTV's...does it all well but nothing perfect and damned reliable. I sent a few pics of your replies to my brother in law and he let me know they made a decision and have ordered the CANNED-HAM for one reason....the better cab and heater system from the factory. He's a diehard elk hunter and he wants the warm cabin between hikes. I get it but will tell him on behalf of the forum that he made the wrong decision. I sent your reply @Russ989 just to piss him off! Thanks again all.
Fixed it for ya🥳

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks all for the replies...great info. As I suspected, advantages to both machines but Pioneer better overall. I tell people the 1000-5 is the leatherman/Remington 870 of UTV's...does it all well but nothing perfect and damned reliable. I sent a few pics of your replies to my brother in law and he let me know they made a decision and have ordered the Can Am for one reason....the better cab and heater system from the factory. He's a diehard elk hunter and he wants the warm cabin between hikes. I get it but will tell him on behalf of the forum that he made the wrong decision. I sent your reply @Russ989 just to piss him off! Thanks again all.
I can understand the cab configuration for what it’s worth…..which isn’t much. 😂

Last edited:
S

sxs1000

Jun 30, 2021
iowa
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I had to chime in here🤪
We currently have both a 2020 Honda pioneer 1000 and a 2021 can am defender hd10. It probably depends on what you use it for, but I would go with the defender it just feels more solid and the cab options are much more thought out! (I almost froze last year in the Honda) also the defender is a bit smoother I would say … and the pioneer has way more rattles. Also the bed is pretty much impossible to dump with a heavy load where as the defender I can dump it with a full load of dirt! just my 2 cents I know it probably a bit different than most on here, but I guess different opinions never hurt anyone 😎😂

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
First post but I owned several Honda pioneers 1000 P3. 2017, 2019, 2022 & a 2021 can am defender xmr. The engineering and ergonomics of the Cam Am are top notch. Belt drive is fine . No issues if you do not beat up the machine.

My 2017 Honda was flawless with 30" Cryptids. great machine but hot as heck.
My 2019 blew the transmission with 30" Cryptids. I think the bill was around $ 3k Honda covered it (One time) SXS was out for 2 months during hunting season. Sold it after the repair.
Received my 2022 about two weeks ago. Major power difference. High & Low gear shifts much better and finds low very well. Great power steering. Still hot as heck but better than the 2017 & 2019. Hate the limited storage space and leg room compared the the Can Am defender.

Can am defender xmr is a beast of a machine. Loved that unit. Sold it to buy a 2022 talon special edition but that machine never materialized. lost my deposit

I use the machines in the Florida everglades. Run mostly swamp and muddy terrain with occasional 3'-4' water crossings. Both Honda & Cam Am are lifted and snorkeled.

IMG 20220602 223557171

Rudy phone 188

Best of luck !

Rudy

Last edited:
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Some buddies of mine own Can Am's. They ride real good. Their only complant is getting raped on parts. I looked at them before I bought my 2021 Honda. Almost pulled the trigger. The cab is a must for what I do and the Honda cab is like a 1979 Jeep CJ5. It's drafty, no insulation and loud. I went the Honda because of the trans. I read reviews and I wanted to try it. I don't need air, but it would be nice. I do think AC on a side x side is just waiting to be repaired. I've also own two Gators. These have the best cab and a car style engine. AC on these type machine would probably be fine. Even though I wanted the trans on the Honda, I put over 8500 miles on the belt on the Gator and I pulled a 2000 lb trailer and it's bed loaded with fire wood up 15 degree slopes. I think they are all good machines if you take care of them. You can break anything if you try hard enough.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!