P1000 Pioneer 1000 shifting issues!

T

TylerMarkham

Nov 8, 2018
Ripley, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Help! I have a 2016 pioneer 1000-5. Last night it wouldn’t move in reverse. It was showing “R” on the dash but wasn’t moving. Runs fine in H. So I found this forum (this is the first issue I’ve had, go figure, it’s a HONDA!) and I saw where you guys were saying on another thresh to check the cable adjustment under battery box. Did that, took some slack out of it, or so I thought was slack, and it made it worse, wouldn’t engage k to “R” on dash, list had the blank line on screen, so I returned it to its original position. Now, seeing you guys say to check each gear, I did that and it won’t go in L either. If it’s running it’s making a clicking coins in tenant trying to get into L. I TRIED to push it manually on the transmission further to “L” and it wouldn’t go. So, now what!?!? No wires looked severed on sensors, all wires looked good.

Here’s a video.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
2B95E711 445D 4A07 8316 0DFC94B52259 C59B9AF3 BAE7 4C2C B0E5 97BB8A18472F
Here is the procedure for adjustment. Ensure this is correct and then let us know what if any blink codes is it throwing

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
D4593510 201C 4CD9 80FC 19F09DFC8316
Anything here jump out at youo_O

Help! I have a 2016 pioneer 1000-5. Last night it wouldn’t move in reverse. It was showing “R” on the dash but wasn’t moving. Runs fine in H. So I found this forum (this is the first issue I’ve had, go figure, it’s a HONDA!) and I saw where you guys were saying on another thresh to check the cable adjustment under battery box. Did that, took some slack out of it, or so I thought was slack, and it made it worse, wouldn’t engage k to “R” on dash, list had the blank line on screen, so I returned it to its original position. Now, seeing you guys say to check each gear, I did that and it won’t go in L either. If it’s running it’s making a clicking coins in tenant trying to get into L. I TRIED to push it manually on the transmission further to “L” and it wouldn’t go. So, now what!?!? No wires looked severed on sensors, all wires looked good.

Here’s a video.

Reactions: BWAF and sharp
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Without knowing more of what led up to these symptoms or transmission condition, we can only speculate. I had a polaris with similar problems and had to replace gears in transmission. In your case, draining the sub transmission into a clean container and checking for debris might point you in the right direction, especially if you find chunks of gears, etc...
45EE4C33 FFCD 4B6E A47C 07F3FE92E4E2

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Thanks!

I’ll do this tomorrow. Is there a sensor that could be out, or is it seeming like just the cable since it won’t go into low range either ?

Have you shifted from low to high gear without coming to a complete stop, or could someone else have done thiso_O

advertisement
J

JTW

What update? And would it go all at once??
It’s a free Honda product update.. you should have received a letter. Did you buy new, used, from a dealer? Long story short... reverse and 1st are relatively high geared and work off the same clutch pack. So when you are easy on the throttle it’s basically like riding the clutch in a manual vehicle and you burn the clutches. Honda addressed this with a clutch cover update that puts more oil to the clutch keeping it cooler. This is a free update and if you have burnt the clutches they’ll replace at no charge. Without more info... I have a sneaking suspension this is your problem. Have you been backing up a steep incline or loaded slowly? Have you been putting around below 2k rpms? If so, yes.. it can go out suddenly. Again, there’s not much info for us to go on. So we’re just throwing out ideas. But if it’s not a shift cable.. clutches would be my guess.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It’s a free Honda product update.. you should have received a letter. Did you buy new, used, from a dealer? Long story short... reverse and 1st are relatively high geared and work off the same clutch pack. So when you are easy on the throttle it’s basically like riding the clutch in a manual vehicle and you burn the clutches. Honda addressed this with a clutch cover update that puts more oil to the clutch keeping it cooler. This is a free update and if you have burnt the clutches they’ll replace at no charge. Without more info... I have a sneaking suspension this is your problem. Have you been backing up a steep incline or loaded slowly? Have you been putting around below 2k rpms? If so, yes.. it can go out suddenly. Again, there’s not much info for us to go on. So we’re just throwing out ideas. But if it’s not a shift cable.. clutches would be my guess.
exactly, when I took my first pioneer to the dealer to get the update they were going to inspect the clutches and replace everything if it looked bad when they did the cover, for free. You don't need to have a warranty either. If your dealer is going to try to charge you, then go to another dealer. As for time, I dropped mine off first thing in the morning and it was finished by lunch for the cover, if it need the clutches replaced it was going to be mid afternoon before it was finished

H

HondaTech

I've had 1 unit straight off the truck unable to shift into Low, adjusting the cable did nothing.

Fond the plastic sleeve inside the rubber boot on the engine side of the shift cable broken. It allowed Park to High operation but going into Low the cable would just bend upwards instead of pushing the lever over into Low.

If you pull the seat bottom off and the rubber cover (if the cabin kit has been install), then you can see the cable. Try shifting thru the gears and see if the cable moves smoothly or if it bends.

The clicking noise is gears trying to engage and not fully sliding into gear.

T

TylerMarkham

Nov 8, 2018
Ripley, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did back up a hill with a small load of firewood the night prior, but like 10 feet and by small load I mean like 12 pieces 10” around.

T

TylerMarkham

Nov 8, 2018
Ripley, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did back up a hill with a small load of firewood the night prior, but like 10 feet and by small load I mean like 12 pieces 10” around.
As for the purchase, I bought it used from a dealer. Anpolaris dealer who took it on trade. Think my local Honda shop would cover it?

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
As for the purchase, I bought it used from a dealer. Anpolaris dealer who took it on trade. Think my local Honda shop would cover it?

If it has not been done yet! Remember it’s not a warranty issue it’s part of a free service to improve the clutch issue

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes if they don't go somewhere else. preferably a honda only dealer.

Reactions: BWAF
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!