P1000 Pioneer 1000 w fabric doors - towing

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have not yet towed my 1000 any great distance, but I notice that the fabric door catch the wind and want to blow out. I have been careful to tuck them in past the frame and that helps a lot, but I can't imagine that that will be a long term solution. The doors do have a tag that says they should be removed for towing, but that really doesn't seem practical. There is also a Velcro strip at the top of the doors which helps, but is not really a solution. I have purchased a 20' length of 1/2" bungee cord ($18) that I will tie around the top of the cab to in an attempt to prevent the doors from getting damaged from the wind. The heavy duty bungee cord will catch the top of the doors and should help. Fortunately the bungee cord has a natural "home" that will prevent it from being blown, or otherwise moved, out of its natural position.

I'm sure I'm not the first guy to experience this problem. Is the real solution to remove the doors every time I tow it and live with a dirty interior, or have some of you worked around the problem?

Thanks for any input. (Added after original post.... my Pioneer is a 3 person model.)

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have not yet towed my 1000 any great distance, but I notice that the fabric door catch the wind and want to blow out. I have been careful to tuck them in past the frame and that helps a lot, but I can't imagine that that will be a long term solution. The doors do have a tag that says they should be removed for towing, but that really doesn't seem practical. There is also a Velcro strip at the top of the doors which helps, but is not really a solution. I have purchased a 20' length of 1/2" bungee cord ($18) that I will tie around the top of the cab to in an attempt to prevent the doors from getting damaged from the wind. The heavy duty bungee cord will catch the top of the doors and should help. Fortunately the bungee cord has a natural "home" that will prevent it from being blown, or otherwise moved, out of its natural position.

I'm sure I'm not the first guy to experience this problem. Is the real solution to remove the doors every time I tow it and live with a dirty interior, or have some of you worked around the problem?

Thanks for any input.
Normally I just roll the windows and fasten them with the snap straps.

If it’s raining I tow mine with the windows up and Velcro’d at the top, they seem to stay put at 75. Water still blows in so I’m going to pick up a towing cover for towing trips where it’s raining just to keep the stuff dry inside the cab that isn’t waterproof but wouldn’t get wet through normal use of the Pioneer. (2017 accessory it doesn’t show up under 2016)

If I forget they flop a lot and have to pull over and Velcro the top.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I roll my windows down and snap them and tuck them in then shut the doors. I can’t get the Velcro to hold anymore. They used to hold decent. I’ve also tried the strap around the top. It would pop off occasionally and if you aren’t paying attention at high speed, it can do damage quick. Just not worth it. I do have the full cover but never tried towing with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: R-Lamm
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I roll my windows down and snap them and tuck them in then shut the doors. I can’t get the Velcro to hold anymore. They used to hold decent. I’ve also tried the strap around the top. It would pop off occasionally and if you aren’t paying attention at high speed, it can do damage quick. Just not worth it. I do have the full cover but never tried towing with it.

FYI: There are two covers for 2017 Storage and Towing, 2016 only shows storage.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
FYI: There are two covers for 2017 Storage and Towing, 2016 only shows storage.

Interesting. Mine is probably a storage then. It has zippers up both sides to open and get into the doors. The dealer gave it to me when I bought the unit. Being mine was the very first 2016 they had I imagine it’s not the new towing cover.

Reactions: ohanacreek
Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I tow a lot so I added a snap to the Velcro strap that attaches to the top ROPS. Holds the door tight without any blowing around. You can travel 70 mph without any problems.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I roll one window down and snap the strap around it then make sure it's tucked inside the door, so far this has worked fine for me.

Reactions: Elkhunter
Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
My last few trips have been with the side
windows rolled down tightly with the snap
strap. I roll them so that the curl goes
inside the door. And I left the rear soft
panel zippered in place on the last trip
because I broke off one the snaps.

Also, I have the full split hard coat
windshield.

It trailers just fine.

John

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the responses....... I was very relieved to find out that towing with the fabric doors on the machine is not uncommon. I had bad visions of towing open with road salt and grime getting plastered all over my brand new machine. My fabric doors are zippered (ordered with my machine), and the top front of the doors tend to blow out about 4 inches. I then have to stop and tuck them back inside. The 1/2 inch bungee should stop them from blowing out nearly that far, and it will be secure since the hard top is such that it will hold it in place. The heavy duty bungee cord does not have any termination hardware, and I will just stretch it around and tie a not behind the cab - should not do any damage if somehow it were to come loose. BTW, my machine in an 2018 not that it makes a difference. I will admit that I didn't pay particular attention to tucking the doors inside when I initially towed it, and careful tucking made a significant improvement in limiting the problem. The responses really help me and I appreciate them.

Some questions from the above helpful comments:
1. Are the towing covers mentioned a Honda product - if not who makes them?
2. How do you install a snap on the Velcro strap? (I'm sure the Velcro won't last forever.)

If I may inject another question- I have a open trailer with a 2' gravel guard, and a glass windshield on the UTV. Do I need to worry about windshield or body damage while towing? As a comment, I bought a 7' X12' aluminum, tilt trailer that is a breeze to load/unload - just great, but $$.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the responses....... I was very relieved to find out that towing with the fabric doors on the machine is not uncommon. I had bad visions of towing open with road salt and grime getting plastered all over my brand new machine. My fabric doors are zippered (ordered with my machine), and the top front of the doors tend to blow out about 4 inches. I then have to stop and tuck them back inside. The 1/2 inch bungee should stop them from blowing out nearly that far, and it will be secure since the hard top is such that it will hold it in place. The heavy duty bungee cord does not have any termination hardware, and I will just stretch it around and tie a not behind the cab - should not do any damage if somehow it were to come loose. BTW, my machine in an 2018 not that it makes a difference. I will admit that I didn't pay particular attention to tucking the doors inside when I initially towed it, and careful tucking made a significant improvement in limiting the problem. The responses really help me and I appreciate them.

Some questions from the above helpful comments:
1. Are the towing covers mentioned a Honda product - if not who makes them?
2. How do you install a snap on the Velcro strap? (I'm sure the Velcro won't last forever.)

If I may inject another question- I have a open trailer with a 2' gravel guard, and a glass windshield on the UTV. Do I need to worry about windshield or body damage while towing? As a comment, I bought a 7' X12' aluminum, tilt trailer that is a breeze to load/unload - just great, but $$.

if you're trying to keep crap off of it I would get the towing cover Honda Part # 0SP36-HL4-201

They are $237 right now on Amazon, where I have it saved for part number purposes.

Reactions: elkguide
advertisement
tr005

tr005

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2017
Big Rapids, Mi.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I came up with this. 1/4 inch Luan plywood. Sticks out beyond the cab about 6 inches on either side of the cab. Cut some holes and ran a ratchet strap around the roll cage. I put the machine on the trailer backwards and it’s worked up to 80mph. Only bad part is the air drag. Planning on the travel cover shortly.

6FD80A6F 7A8B 4DE8 ABDB 8E2F0380DEDC 6208E6E2 7495 4E74 B612 3CA6C9827BB4 75535AA3 4941 4641 99C5 AA5AC68FAB8D

Reactions: tincangob
Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You can buy a snap kit to instal a snap on the strap. The part that attaches to the ROPS gets a self tapping screw through it. Only costs a few dollars and works excellent.

https://amazon.com/Lord-Hodge-1100-Snap-Fastener/dp/B00004Y698/?tag=sxsweb24-20

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
if you're trying to keep crap off of it I would get the towing cover Honda Part # 0SP36-HL4-201

They are $237 right now on Amazon, where I have it saved for part number purposes.
As I attempted to say in a off forum contact, my Pioneer 1000 is a 3P. They seem to make a towing cover for the 1000-5, but not the 1000-3.

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I came up with this. 1/4 inch Luan plywood. Sticks out beyond the cab about 6 inches on either side of the cab. Cut some holes and ran a ratchet strap around the roll cage. I put the machine on the trailer backwards and it’s worked up to 80mph. Only bad part is the air drag. Planning on the travel cover shortly.

View attachment 60221 View attachment 60222 View attachment 60223
Wow! Quite a rig. (You could have bought a Humvee. LOL)

Reactions: tr005
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As I attempted to say in a off forum contact, my Pioneer 1000 is a 3P. They seem to make a towing cover for the 1000-5, but not the 1000-3.

If you tried to reach me, I haven’t gotten anything....

There’s a 3P version (it’s posted above) I sent the 5P since that’s what he has.

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you tried to reach me, I haven’t gotten anything....

There’s a 3P version (it’s posted above) I sent the 5P since that’s what he has.
I don't know why I couldn't find the 3P version. I even went directly to Honda Powersports accessories directly and they had noting listed. I'm still confused a little on whether this is a Honda OEM cover or a Bike Bandit product, but either way I'm sure interested. Thanks for both responses.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@tincangob
Judging by the part number posted, I am going to say it is a Honda OEM accessory vs Bike Bandit product. Google around for the best prices. I use procaliber (savenow code for extra 5%) if I can wait 5-6 weeks.

Reactions: tincangob
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't know why I couldn't find the 3P version. I even went directly to Honda Powersports accessories directly and they had noting listed. I'm still confused a little on whether this is a Honda OEM cover or a Bike Bandit product, but either way I'm sure interested. Thanks for both responses.

Have to look at 2017 or 2018 models they aren’t retroactively listed under 2016. They are Honda accessories.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is a snip of the catalog.

Capture

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!