P700 Pioneer 700-4 deluxe cold start

J

Jmthurs11

Mar 2, 2021
Vermont
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey everyone I am a new member on here as I just bought a new Honda pioneer 700-4 deluxe. I love the machine and have ridden it with the family a little. I have under 100 miles on it. It got down to 0 and we had wind chills around minus 20 today. I could not get it to fire up. Sputtered a few times but would not fire. Wondering if there are any good solutions to the problem?

03mossy

03mossy

Jun 20, 2018
MN
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
Welcome! I have the same machine and love everything about it except the cold starting. Here is a thread I started asking for help not too long ago.

Reactions: Smitty335
J

Jmthurs11

Mar 2, 2021
Vermont
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for the reply. I hooked it to my truck with jumpers and it fired right up meaning I need to figure out a better option for a battery. Hoping there is a replacement that will work for me without having to add a second battery?

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for the reply. I hooked it to my truck with jumpers and it fired right up meaning I need to figure out a better option for a battery. Hoping there is a replacement that will work for me without having to add a second battery?
Some put a car battery under the driver’s seat. They also had a bigger OEM battery for units sold in Canada. My 7hundo sits in the shop and doesn’t go below freezing. Fires right up every time. 😉

Reactions: Smitty335
livefromthetree

livefromthetree

It was a damn good ride. Seriously good.
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2

No need for 2nd batt unless you are running accessories without the machine started. Here's a battery that I see a lot of folks talking good things about.

Let us know which way you go

Reactions: Mudwing
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is the battery I used when I was having trouble starting mine. There is a little piece of plastic in the battery box that has to be removed, but this battery will fit. This cured my hard starting issues with the exact same conditions you are talking about. I found somewhere once on a Rincon forum, that if the battery voltage drops to much (somewhere 10.? volts) it will actually stop the injectors from firing. I was in the same boat and didn't want a secondary battery so, I was happy to find this fix. I wish you luck and hopefully warmer weather.

J

Jmthurs11

Mar 2, 2021
Vermont
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for the reply this is exactly what I was looking for. Can you explain the piece of plastic that needs removed? is it for width length or height?

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is a piece in the battery tray that restricts the SMALL batter from moving left and right. I just took a razor knife and was able to cut it out easily. I have no idea why honda engineers thought this was a good idea putting the smaller battery in, but after trying alot of other things, the bigger battery fixed my issues. Heck even the Rincon atv and Canadian 700s come with a bigger battery. I guess 75% of people won't have trouble with the smaller battery but the 25% that live in the cold will find it's weak link. I don't know if the 310cca is needed but I figured if I was going to go through the trouble, I wanted the biggest battery that would fit. Best of luck but I remember your pain well.

Cut Piece

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
It is a piece in the battery tray that restricts the SMALL batter from moving left and right. I just took a razor knife and was able to cut it out easily. I have no idea why honda engineers thought this was a good idea putting the smaller battery in, but after trying alot of other things, the bigger battery fixed my issues. Heck even the Rincon atv and Canadian 700s come with a bigger battery. I guess 75% of people won't have trouble with the smaller battery but the 25% that live in the cold will find it's weak link. I don't know if the 310cca is needed but I figured if I was going to go through the trouble, I wanted the biggest battery that would fit. Best of luck but I remember your pain well.

View attachment 258473
Thanks for this. I will go with this size when I buy a new battery. 😎

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

It was a damn good ride. Seriously good.
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2

View attachment 258473

Good info

C

caverat

Feb 3, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 700-2
This is the battery I used when I was having trouble starting mine. There is a little piece of plastic in the battery box that has to be removed, but this battery will fit. This cured my hard starting issues with the exact same conditions you are talking about. I found somewhere once on a Rincon forum, that if the battery voltage drops to much (somewhere 10.? volts) it will actually stop the injectors from firing. I was in the same boat and didn't want a secondary battery so, I was happy to find this fix. I wish you luck and hopefully warmer weather.

This is the same battery I run in my Yamaha Kodiaks they work great and will star them at -20. I do have trouble with them holding up have to replace them about every 2 years? Not shure why the ranch wheeler gets beat pretty bad in the winter from all the winching plowing snow but is typically parked in a heated garage all winter. The other one is used mostly for hunting and is always in the cold but under cover I should probably pull that one out and put on a battery tender?

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is the same battery I run in my Yamaha Kodiaks they work great and will star them at -20. I do have trouble with them holding up have to replace them about every 2 years? Not shure why the ranch wheeler gets beat pretty bad in the winter from all the winching plowing snow but is typically parked in a heated garage all winter. The other one is used mostly for hunting and is always in the cold but under cover I should probably pull that one out and put on a battery tender?
I usually had mine hooked to a battery tender because I just used the single battery for everything. I was using my machine for my snowplowing so I used the winch to lift it. And of course had to have the radio playing and extra lights to see better. You really don't know how enjoyable plowing snow could be until you do it with a utv. So I'm guessing having mine hooked to the battery tender might have helped with it's longevity. The only trouble I had with mine was the first one that arrived from Amazon had a cracked case when I put the acid in it, so I had to get another one. I actually like the battery and size so much that I use it as my secondary battery on my 1000. It will fit in the secondary location, tilted a little but I had to get creative with the hold down for it. I sure hope it helps some of the other guys out, because my 700 starting in the cold was one of the most frustrating deals I have had in awhile.

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve run a Battery Tender Jr on my ‘16 P1k since new and I’m still on the original battery. No cold start issues ever in the coldest weather New Hampshire has to offer.

I also run one on my ‘13 Kubota L4600 (original battery) and my ‘11 Harley. Bought that one used in ‘15 so I can’t say if it’s the original battery or not but I haven’t changed it.

link to site, but if you check eBay or Amazon I’m sure you can find a better price.

C

caverat

Feb 3, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 700-2
been thinking I should set up a battery bank set up and pull all the battery's that are just sitting all winter. I buy a lot of battery's every spring. its just getting it done every fall. Just a crazy busy time of year.

Reactions: livefromthetree

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!