P700 Starting in the cold?

03mossy

03mossy

Jun 20, 2018
MN
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
I’ve owned my 2020 700-4 deluxe since June and really have zero complaints until now. It starts like crap in the cold! Since day one the first start in the morning it has always cranked longer than I feel it should before it fires off. I’ve read on here these things crank slow when starting. But now that it’s winter it’s a bear to get started. Often times taking many attempts before it fires and runs. Once it’s running and warms up everything is good to go. This is my first EFI machine and I was really looking forward to the ease of starting in the winter vs my old non-efi machines. I’m nervous to take it out ice fishing as hard as it starts. What can I do to fix this?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
What kind of gas?
Seems like most people are saying they start better on regular old 87.
Is it cranking over fairly fast? The consensus is that the batteries are kinda small on the 700. Canada models actually have a bigger one...or used to.

Other than that, I'm in AZ, so I don't know shyte about real cold, but the 700 does have a rep for stubborn cold starting.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
My 7hundo would start slow. When I first turn the key, I do not crank until the pump stops and the dashboard clears the Hello Honda message. I crank it and hold the key until the engine turns over three times, that’s it. If it doesn’t fire in the three times, I turn the key back fully to key off then go right back into key on start position. It usually fires up in two cranks but sometimes three. I’ve messed with the sequence of that start up and that way fires it just about every time. Try it and see. My brother has an ‘18 7hundo also. I told him this same procedure a while back and I will see what he is doing nowadays. 😎

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Use 10 30 oil keep your battery with a full charge and air cleaner clean and use stabilizer in the gas .

Diyguy

Diyguy

Dec 5, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Amsoil ATV oil helps with cold starts. Use it in my Rincon. Same drive train.

Reactions: Mopower58
03mossy

03mossy

Jun 20, 2018
MN
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
I do wait until the fuel pump stops to try starting. Think I read that on here before I even bought mine so that’s how I’ve always done it. I’ll try the battery charger suggestion next.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
My 1000-5 does the same thing. Cranks slow, If I hit the gas pedal it will fire right up. Doesn’t make sense for an efi engine.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
My '15 with 4500miles still starts hard when its cold out. the best way I have found was to just turn the key right to start not waiting for the pump to stop. I also run Shells premium gas (I think they call it power+) in the winter and 10-30. With the automotive sized battery I run it turns over fine, just cranks for a bit before firing. My '98 foreman (carburated) started so much faster, that thing all I had do was tap the starter and it fired. The 700 is definatley cold blooded even once started it needs to warm up to get moving.

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
I owned a 2007 Rincon EFI and it started much easier than my 2019 pioneer 700. Something changed.

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
On our 2019 700-4 I turn the key wait for fuel pressure then crank.
Even here in Michigan on a cold day it starts easy enough.
3 or 4 revolutions and it running.
I run whatever fuel we happened to fill the cans with, never anything above 87 and Honda GN4 Oil in 10w30.
The main battery powers only the what it did from the factory absolutely everything else runs off of the 2nd battery.
Never had an issue just make sure all connections are tight and clean.
I spray every connection after a quarterly check with battery terminal sealer.
Good luck

B

bassadict69

Nov 23, 2020
Benton, La
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have noticed the same problem...it starts early enough with only 3-4 revolutions. The problem I have noticed and I think the original poster is pointing to is that it turns over slow!

I have noticed that if I crank it up before unhooking the battery tender, it turns over faster and starts quicker. For the record, this is on my 2020 model we bought over the summer, brand new.

Glock21user

Glock21user

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have noticed the same problem...it starts early enough with only 3-4 revolutions. The problem I have noticed and I think the original poster is pointing to is that it turns over slow!

I have noticed that if I crank it up before unhooking the battery tender, it turns over faster and starts quicker. For the record, this is on my 2020 model we bought over the summer, brand new.
Is it possible the battery is going bad from improper care at the dealer level?
We had to replace the battery in our 2019 after just 3 weeks and the dealer kept saying it was fine.
The batteries in my opinion are just too damn small for the machine.
We beat them to death starting the machine and then we have to drive an hour just to try and recover from the starting procedure.
Just my .02

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Is it possible the battery is going bad from improper care at the dealer level?
We had to replace the battery in our 2019 after just 3 weeks and the dealer kept saying it was fine.
The batteries in my opinion are just too damn small for the machine.
We beat them to death starting the machine and then we have to drive an hour just to try and recover from the starting procedure.
Just my .02

I don't think your supposed to start it with a battery tender hooked up. Maybe the newer models of tender can take it. I know the older ones would fry.

Glock21user

Glock21user

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
I don't think your supposed to start it with a battery tender hooked up. Maybe the newer models of tender can take it. I know the older ones would fry.
I have never tried to start with a battery tender, are you saying I should try it so I can be told not to?
Asking for a friend. Lol

Reactions: Mudwing
Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2

Meant to quote this one. Sorry.

Reactions: Glock21user

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!