P700 700-4 Hard cold weather starting

M

mpilihp

Aug 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
So I do not have a plow on it yet as using my old reliable poo 6x6 but I intend on getting rid of it and putting a plow on the Honda for next winter. Issue is I have gone to use the honda a few times since we had such little snow and it starts extremely hard, one time I just gave up as didn't want to kill the battery. Its EFI and my EFI sleds I just turn key, let it build up pressure and then turn to start and it runs. This rig does not want to stay running, it pops and tries to start but doesn't, if I hold the starter on past the first pop it continues to intermittently fire. But stops as soon as I turn the starter off.

I did get it started a couple times by feathering the gas while engaging the starter which you shouldn't do with an EFI is my experience.

Anyone have issues like this and have any recommendations? It still has the gas it came with from the dealer in October I am thinking of adding some dry gas and filling the tank up its about 2/3s full by the gauge.

Thanks

Phil

Irish1

Irish1

Jan 21, 2022
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have the same problem. Have refitted with larger battery and found at one point had relay (the back one on left in fuse box) that would not come on so no dash eliminating and no fuel pump so turned over but would not start. Seem to solve the problem for a while. Then back to what is going on with you. Bought Honda because reputation of going. Very dissapointing as I have looked on many blogs and find no real answer.

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
So I do not have a plow on it yet as using my old reliable poo 6x6 but I intend on getting rid of it and putting a plow on the Honda for next winter. Issue is I have gone to use the honda a few times since we had such little snow and it starts extremely hard, one time I just gave up as didn't want to kill the battery. Its EFI and my EFI sleds I just turn key, let it build up pressure and then turn to start and it runs. This rig does not want to stay running, it pops and tries to start but doesn't, if I hold the starter on past the first pop it continues to intermittently fire. But stops as soon as I turn the starter off.

I did get it started a couple times by feathering the gas while engaging the starter which you shouldn't do with an EFI is my experience.

Anyone have issues like this and have any recommendations? It still has the gas it came with from the dealer in October I am thinking of adding some dry gas and filling the tank up its about 2/3s full by the gauge.

Thanks

Phil
Dry gas Aint gonna help.
if that gas is from October at the dealer, it most likely came from a storage lot when it came of the line waiting for a part and sat for lord knows how long? that gas is prob old. Id drain ALL of it and put either some Rec fuel or high premium if u cant get rec fuel, and try it then. when u get it started, run the piss out it to clear any bad gas or crap that has built up From sitting. Some seafoam wouldnt hurt with the new gas also.

Reactions: Buggyman
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have the same problem. Have refitted with larger battery and found at one point had relay (the back one on left in fuse box) that would not come on so no dash eliminating and no fuel pump so turned over but would not start. Seem to solve the problem for a while. Then back to what is going on with you. Bought Honda because reputation of going. Very dissapointing as I have looked on many blogs and find no real answer.
How old is your machine, milage and how often do u drive it?

Irish1

Irish1

Jan 21, 2022
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-2
Mine is a 2018 and it has had this problem since day one. Gets down to -15 and will turn over but not start. If lucky is lt will pop and eventual go with starter on for too long but has let me down several times. I am looking at a block heater but not much help in the back country

M

mpilihp

Aug 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Dry gas Aint gonna help.
if that gas is from October at the dealer, it most likely came from a storage lot when it came of the line waiting for a part and sat for lord knows how long? that gas is prob old. Id drain ALL of it and put either some Rec fuel or high premium if u cant get rec fuel, and try it then. when u get it started, run the piss out it to clear any bad gas or crap that has built up From sitting. Some seafoam wouldnt hurt with the new gas also.
OK Ill start with that thanks, I assume when yo usay rec fuel you mean non ethonal based gas? I put that in my sleds over the summer with no additives and havent had a problem with the carb based ones in years now. So will give that a go thanks.

Phil

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Mine is a 2018 and it has had this problem since day one. Gets down to -15 and will turn over but not start. If lucky is lt will pop and eventual go with starter on for too long but has let me down several times. I am looking at a block heater but not much help in the back country
Milage?
have you checked the connections at the injectors? Common issue with the P1’s theres an upgrade repair kit in the club store.
Also might want to check the voltage output of your fuel pump and pressure output and see if there within specs. Theres a pdf shop manual in the resources section.
I use mine in those types of temps during hunting seasons at my camp and no issues. Just common slow crank but in deep freeze what do u expect? Mine is a 16’ 4,500 miles.

Reactions: Buggyman and Irish1
M

mpilihp

Aug 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
The battery is small I agree, I plan on adding a second battery as most have done for accessories. But the hard starting isn't an issue of the battery size, should start first or second time turning over with the starter.... Thanks

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Gets down to -15 and will turn over but not start
If your in that type of temp all the time, u might want to get an Optima Full size second battery to wire in parallel to the main batt under the seat to give u more guts. If u have all the lights and accessories off and your cranking but not up to par say like at 10-11 VDC that fuel pump isnt getting enough to the injectors nor are the injectors getting enough juice compromising the whole system and u will get pops and hesitation to start. There not carbureted like my sleds that use vacuum and or a lift pump in some cases to get u enough fuel.

Irish1

Irish1

Jan 21, 2022
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-2
Agreed. That is what I thought as wel. There was some that made a connection with the voltage drop in the cold having an effect on the electronics despite having power to turn engine over but perhaps they had issue with relay as I did which was prominent only in cold weather. Once I upgraded to larger battery it made no difference other than having a longer attempt at getting it to catch before battery to drained.

Irish1

Irish1

Jan 21, 2022
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-2
This is my refit. Fabricated two brackets and this fits in quite well onder hood.

20220120 163551

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Agreed. That is what I thought as wel. There was some that made a connection with the voltage drop in the cold having an effect on the electronics despite having power to turn engine over but perhaps they had issue with relay as I did which was prominent only in cold weather. Once I upgraded to larger battery it made no difference other than having a longer attempt at getting it to catch before battery to drained.
I dont have the larger battery. But I do have a battery tender installed that i plug in each time im at idle with a plug in the fender to help with that.
check those connections and outputs.
heres my set up for charging/maintaining
CC6E570C B1CC 460D A680 EA8111012049
2765F31B F0B2 421F B7B9 59574CDC10C0

Irish1

Irish1

Jan 21, 2022
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have attempted to turn key over and then do it again thinking not enough fuel but it actually seems like when it doesn't go, even if it tries to fire a few times, that it becomes flooded. Let it sit and try a few hours later and when a bit warmer and it goes. Do you think there is much value in Iridium spark plugs for this issue?

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have attempted to turn key over and then do it again thinking not enough fuel but it actually seems like when it doesn't go, even if it tries to fire a few times, that it becomes flooded. Let it sit and try a few hours later and when a bit warmer and it goes. Do you think there is much value in Iridium spark plugs for this issue?
I like them in my sleds and do well yes. But i dont think they make one n that fancy plug for the pioneer.
as a thought, try changing the plug. Might have an issue with it even being newer. Ive had that before with plugs

Irish1

Irish1

Jan 21, 2022
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-2
Despite seemingly being a bit off topic I think it is part of solution to some starting problems. Also I should have said I am in Canada so that was -15C.

20220120 114411 20220120 085749

M

mpilihp

Aug 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
read my last post
Hi so my 700cc 4 stroke sled and my wifes 600cc 4 stroke has basically the same size battery, they are also EFI and starts fine in these temps, even colder actually (at camp been much colder pioneer starting hard in teh 20Fs). Turns over a bit slow but fires right up so there is something amis with the Pioneer. I agree with on the gas as possibly being the issue. I can get ethanol free gas at camp and going there this weekend so Ill be bringing some home to try. I intend on adding a second larger battery for accessories and mainly the winch. I think I will have to switch over to an isolator that allows combining the batteries for starting. I bought the kit from this sites store which just isolates them....

Thanks.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!