P700 Noise In Rear End Area

J

Jkc12345

Oct 17, 2023
Branchland, WV
Ownership

1. 700-4
I’m new on here …. My first post ……

I have a new 700-4 and I now have 300 miles on it ……. From day one there has been a noise in the rear end area.
It does not do it on acceleration.
It does not do it on medium to hard decel.

It makes a medium to loud noise after reaching any speed (especially between 25-35) under no load …… after reaching a speed and just maintaining that speed it makes a loose/rattling noise in the drive train.

Is this common? ….. or should I take back to dealer? ….. or is there an easy fix?

Thanks for any info/feedback.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

I have a new 700-4
Shut the front door!

Welcome from RLR Michigan!
Need pics first time poster first!
Its Rule #4
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!

Also post a video of your issue. Hard to know what a noise is by a description, helps to hear it.
Also may we suggest to Use the search up top for P7 rear end noise to see if its been discussed.
AKA Try changing the rear diff fluid
Nod Nod Wink Wink

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

I have a new 700-4 and I now have 300 miles on it ……. From day one there has been a noise in the rear end area.

It makes a medium to loud noise after reaching any speed (especially between 25-35) under no load …… after reaching a speed and just maintaining that speed it makes a loose/rattling noise in the drive train.

Is this common? ….. or should I take back to dealer? ….. or is there an easy fix?

I would guess that you are not used to the noises these machines make.

Make a video, so we can hear it.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

Common, could be the type of gears used in pioneer or rear brake. PSA coming soon
Oso nailed it, Honda uses straight cut spur type gear teeth in the differentials (except for the Talon), they are very strong & cheap to manufacture but are noisy, especially when new. After some miles the noise should diminish some due to burnishing but will never match the "quietness" of helical or spiral bevels.

Shut the front door!

Welcome from RLR Michigan!
Need pics first time poster first!
Its Rule #4
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!

Also post a video of your issue. Hard to know what a noise is by a description, helps to hear it.
Also may we suggest to Use the search up top for P7 rear end noise to see if its been discussed.
AKA Try changing the rear diff fluid
Nod Nod Wink Wink
Take Remi's advice, do a search for rear diff oils, you'll get lots of opinions but the overriding theme is thicker is better, I put 80W-140 syn in my P5 and it helped.....some

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

Yes, it's common. The rear diff on a 700 sounds like mechanical ass. Wait until you hit the brakes hard...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!