A

Augie

Jul 1, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-2

3. 700-4
Hello my 2016 pioneer 700 has gone through 4 starters in 4 months. It struggles to turn over. I have pulled out a spark plug thinking decompressor was not working . No luck still hard to turn over. Changed sprague clutch and all gears on that side but still hard to turn over. Can there be something on torque converter side hanging up. Please help

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hello, Welcome from Central Arkansas...
I assume the Battery is new or been verified "good" with a volt meter..
Put a mulitmeter on the power wire at the starter and make sure your getting the required 12v, when you turn the key.
A "bad" ground can cause this also.

A

Augie

Jul 1, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-2

3. 700-4
Yes new battery 12 volts
The starter teeth even seem like lots of wear after a short period of time have even swapped starters from my other 700
It's under load from something on the bad 700 thought torque converter hanging up I'm not sure

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Pull the big inspection plug on the rear cover. Rotate the engine with a socket. Should turn pretty easily except when coming up on compression. At time even freewheel a few degrees. This will tell you if it's something downstream of the starter...though if the machine is running fine, it seems unlikely.

The worn starter gears are interesting. I know you've replaced it all, but seems like this is something related to them.

B

BrandonTaylor

Aug 13, 2018
Travelers rest
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hello my 2016 pioneer 700 has gone through 4 starters in 4 months. It struggles to turn over. I have pulled out a spark plug thinking decompressor was not working . No luck still hard to turn over. Changed sprague clutch and all gears on that side but still hard to turn over. Can there be something on torque converter side hanging up. Please help[/QUOTE
Ever figure out the starter issue. Mine has burned up 3 starters in 6 months and I don't use it that often. Probably getting 50 starts before the starter quits. Spins over easy on the crank bolt but can't keep a starter on it.

B

BrandonTaylor

Aug 13, 2018
Travelers rest
Ownership

1. 700-2
Forgot to add that every starter has a magnet come unglued for the failures making them drag and really slow to start.

Reactions: Mudwing
A

Aaron19762

Dec 26, 2018
Australia
Ownership

1. 700-2
Did anyone come up with a solution for the starter issue I have the same problem thanks

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Does the starter on these engage the flywheel like a car?
I'm wondering if his first starter chewed up the teeth on the flywheel, so that every starter after that got subjected to the same damaged teeth.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
If it's wearing teeth, might the starter stay engaged when the engine is running? Maybe there is a wire/relay problem that's killing your starters?

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Starter solinoid??

C

CountryCurt700

May 28, 2020
Ownership

1. 700-4
Any fix found for this issue? Having the same issue on my 16 700-4

W

welchescape

Jan 2, 2021
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hello, I'm new to this forum. Bought my first sxs, a used 2016 Pioneer 700-2 with 6000 miles in March 2020. Dealer told me the previous owner had just replaced the starter before trading it in. Around 3 months and perhaps 30 total starts, it would simply grind and spin when we turned the key. Yes, I know to get off the key as soon as it fires and starts. It starts a little hard and takes a few tries to finally catch and run. I pulled the starter and ID'd that the starter teeth were significantly worn down and that the previous owner had installed one of the cheaper $50 Taiwanese starters off the web. I learned from the dealer that the lower priced ones typically have softer metal gear teeth and that is likely why it failed so quick. So I bought a higher priced starter at around $115 and installed it. Wasn't ready to pop $400 for an OEM Honda starter. This $115 starter lasted exactly one start. We rode for 30 minutes, shut it off, and it wouldn't actuate after that. Batter, relay, cables all good. Pulled the starter out and removed the housing and found one of the four magnets cracked in half. Broke down once more and finally spent the big bucks for original Honda starter. Installed it July 19th and it worked immediately though the machine was still a little hard to start and usually would take 2 or 3 attempts at turning over before it would fire and run. I only use fresh non-oxy fuel. On Dec 6th the damn starter began to grind again during a difficult starting session and ended up just spinning and grinding again without ever effectively rotating the motor sufficiently to start it. Had to abandon it in the woods and drag it out with a tractor. Have pulled this latest starter and the teeth are worn somewhat though still appear sufficient to mesh and rotate the motor. I can reach inside the engine and rotate the ring gear freely with one finger in one direction only but cannot rotate it in the opposite direction due to the one way clutch. I'm at a loss what to do next and am very disappointed in my purchase. Thought I was buying the best machine out there. Any help out there? My machine is parked in a field under a tarp in a Minnesota January so working on it in the cold is quite a challenge.

Thank you

Slackjaw

Slackjaw

Feb 11, 2020
Durham NC
Ownership

1. 700-2
Heat kills starters. Heat is generated by high load, high duty cycle or by the current provided being too low.
I would verify 12V and adequate amps were arriving at starter under load.
I'm no mechanic but electric motors require very little to remain healthy.

W

welchescape

Jan 2, 2021
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hello, my last post was Jan 2nd. Since then I towed the machine to a warm garage and tore it down. At dealer suggestion, he felt bad cuz I bought it used from him with zero warranty and lots of problems, I Bought new torque limiter, new sprague one way clutch, and another new Honda OEM starter. Nearly $900 for those three parts. Dealer loaned me all the specialty tools and his repair manual n/c which helped a bunch. Spent 5 weekend days in Feb tearing it down and rebuilding it with new parts. Old sprague clutch did not seem to be the problem but swapped it anyway since I had the motor apart that far. Popped in new torque limiter but was unable to verify malfunction of old one. Added new starter and machine started immediately. Seems to start and run quieter than before. I can’t confirm but my feeling is the original torque limiter was bad and spinning/grinding/slipping when I attempted to start the motor. Only time will tell if I found the true problem or if I still have another time bomb ticking away. I did save myself over $1500 in dealer labor but it cost me every weekend in Feb. Does feel satisfying though.

S

Smerleau

Mar 24, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-4
Anyone figure this out ?
Hello, my last post was Jan 2nd. Since then I towed the machine to a warm garage and tore it down. At dealer suggestion, he felt bad cuz I bought it used from him with zero warranty and lots of problems, I Bought new torque limiter, new sprague one way clutch, and another new Honda OEM starter. Nearly $900 for those three parts. Dealer loaned me all the specialty tools and his repair manual n/c which helped a bunch. Spent 5 weekend days in Feb tearing it down and rebuilding it with new parts. Old sprague clutch did not seem to be the problem but swapped it anyway since I had the motor apart that far. Popped in new torque limiter but was unable to verify malfunction of old one. Added new starter and machine started immediately. Seems to start and run quieter than before. I can’t confirm but my feeling is the original torque limiter was bad and spinning/grinding/slipping when I attempted to start the motor. Only time will tell if I found the true problem or if I still have another time bomb ticking away. I did save myself over $1500 in dealer labor but it cost me every weekend in Feb. Does feel satisfying though.
Ok thank you,
MIne has new Honda starter and torque limiter And it lasted two starts and now it cranks slow and skips and slips and sounds nasty and won’t turn it fast enough to start.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!