IMG 0262

Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks Bubba and Dragfoot! Made a detour on the way home by my Honda dealer and ordered one. They promise me it will be in by Thursday, just in time for a 500 mile round trip with the P1K-5 on open trailer. Will let you all know how it works out, provided it shows up.
Strange that I could not find this on the Honda website in the past. Must be blind.

Reactions: DRAGFOOT and sharp
SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You might try to use a headlight restore kit. I have not tried it on colored panels but it works very well on plexiglass. Don't see why it wouldn't work on the colored panels. You rig does look good though.

Thanks! A few tips I discovered while working with this plastic: I first tried Meguiar's Polish (works great on paint but did nothing to remove scratches from plastic) Then I tried rubbing compound - BIG mistake! The body panels are vinyl - one of the softest plastics, but also strong and flexible. Rubbing compound is great on paint and harder plastics like acrylic, lexan and plexiglass, but it is too coarse for vinyl - scratched it up pretty bad! A headlight restore kit may cause the same initial damage with it's rubbing compound. I ordered a vinyl restoration kit from Micro Surface Finishing Products Inc:

Liquid 8 ounce 5 Pack Special -MICRO-SURFACE FINISHING PRODUCTS, INC

They also have a full vinyl restoration kit called Clear-Seas which includes foam pads, etc. for a cordless drill, but at twice the cost, with half the polish!

Clear Seas Vinyl Restoration Kit -MICRO-SURFACE FINISHING PRODUCTS, INC

So I bought a variable speed Simoniz angle buffer-sander with a 7" foam backed disk and cotton bonnets. Micro-Mesh makes pads and sandpaper available through the whole range 300-10,000 grit, but it is expensive. Through trial and error, I discovered that Mr. Clean Magic Erasers are where you want to start, with scratch removal from vinyl (I figure they are around 3000 grit) Use them wet and sand the damaged area to a uniform dull finish. Then start with the buffer on low speed (500-1000 rpm) and the #5 abrasive polish (5 micron) Keep the disk moving in 3" strips and use water mist to control heat and buffer speed when the polish begins to dry and the buffer slows down. Patience in the name of the game! Every 10-15 minutes wash it all off with clean water, inspect and start again. Eventually you will see a dull shine start to appear (you'll use more #5 polish that anything else in the kit) Once the scratches from the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser are all gone, wash out the bonnet and foam pad and switch to the blue label #1 abrasive polish (1 micron) This will go much faster and you will see a good shine appear on the vinyl. Wash and dry, then apply a coat of Micro-Finish polish by hand. The Final-Finish is a vinyl restorer and can be used instead Micro-Finish if the vinyl is sun damaged. Use the same procedure on a plastic windscreen, plus a final coat of Anti-Static Crème so it won't attract dust.

Sorry for the long winded explanation, but this stuff really works on vinyl! I guess one could save time by buying new panels from Honda.... but I'm retired (have the time but no money! :) The moral of the story is don't use plastic tarps when transporting your Pioneer! Now out to the woods and put some real scratches in it! :)

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just curious why you didn't just replace the panels? I think you can get all of them for a couple hundred bucks.

Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I picked up this cover late last week with plans to use it over the weekend. And give feedback. Unfortunately my plans changed and did not go on the intended trip.
However, it seems to be very good quality. The material is rough enough that I will use a cushion between it and the windshield. Probably a couple wraps of shrink wrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DRAGFOOT and sharp
Jamesgang

Jamesgang

Jan 29, 2017
Kitzmiller, Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Look on YouTube there are guys using heat guns to get scratches out of atv fenders. It even gets ride of the white coloring from bent plastics.

Reactions: joeymt33
ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't think even the "towable" Honda cover would be a good idea. It might hold up to punishment, but would like do the same thing Sikorsky's tarp did. If you're at all worried about scratches, covering while towing is a bad idea IMHO. Road grime always finds a way in between the tarp and machine....assuming there wasn't already grit on the tarp or machine to begin with. I trailer bikes and was luck enough to get this advice early on. better to just wash it afterwards.....or get an enclosed trailer.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!