P1000m3 Pioneer Covers

RyanOrange3

RyanOrange3

Oct 13, 2016
MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Anyone know of a half cover for the front of the pioneer or a full cover for the whole unit?
I'm looking for a cover to cover mainly the front half during trailering.

Thanks

Reactions: Corona1
Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone know of a half cover for the front of the pioneer or a full cover for the whole unit?
I'm looking for a cover to cover mainly the front half during trailering.

Thanks

I see storage covers but no travel covers for the 1000. There is a travel cover for the 700, not sure if it fits the 1000. Maybe someone will weigh in.
Interested in same thing to keep winter slop and summer bugs off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I trailer mine every time it snows. So every time I use it, it gets coated with splashback. Right now, I pressure wash it whenever I can. I've used covers on other units in the past. They definitely help but don't stop all of the mess. I use a covered trailer for my sleds. I should use it for the Pioneer. I did buy a taller covered trailer when I bought it, that will pay off now with this rediculously tall machine we all have.

Last edited:
Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I trailer mine every time it snows. So every time I use it, it gets coated with splashback. Righty now, I pressure wash it when ever I can. I've used covers on other units in the past. They definitely help but don't stop all of the mess. I use a covered trailer for my sleds. I should use it for the Pioneer. I did buy a taller covered trailer when I bought it, that will pay off now with this rediculously tall machine we all have.

I'm at the point of replacing current enclosed trailer with one that's tall enough for the Pioneer or a toyhauler.
Summer bugs I can deal with, winter salt and sand sucks.

RyanOrange3

RyanOrange3

Oct 13, 2016
MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@Corona1 love your monkey picture!!! lol

advertisement
SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just a quick heads up on trailering covers..........

I bought the Honda storage cover for my new P1000-5 thinking it would be fine for a five hour trip from the dealership back to my house. The dealer told me the cover was made for trailering. It looked pretty light to me when I opened the box. As soon as the speeds got above about 35mph the cover inflated like a balloon. The bottom snap would open from the billowing and the zipper would start to undo. The cover Honda sells right now is not a trailering cover.

I then decided a heavy duty tarp would be a better bet and picked one up at the local hardware store. My son and I tarped the entire machine and used 1/4" cord to lace the grommets under the machine. The tarp was drum tight and extremely secure with rope and compression straps. I got home later that day after five hours of trailering at 60-65mph and the tarp had not shifted an inch.

When I took the tarp off the machine I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The very slight movement back and forth throughout the whole trip acted like sandpaper on my brand new Pioneer. The plastic was dulled and scratched on every sharp corner. The hood took the brunt of the damage and had discoloured from the Honda red colour to a pink colour on the leading edge.

I bought a couple different compounds of plastic polish and was able to bring it back close to original with a ton of elbow grease. The deeper scratches still wouldn't come out. If the machine wasn't brand new without a mile on it I wouldn't have cared. I was hoping to put the first scratches on it
myself :)

Hopefully Honda will come up with a good solution that doesn't hurt this thing for long distances. An enclosed trailer of any kind is definitely the way to go if you have the $$$ and the storage at home.

Here are a couple shots after I washed it down and polished the panels. The scratches you can see in the hood plastic below were also on the leading edge of the roof and doors. The tarp was a brand new, good quality storage tarp that went straight from the package onto the Pioneer. I made sure to wash off all of the road salt and gravel from towing in the snow.

WP 20170221 14 59 50 Pro
WP 20170221 15 00 19 Pro
WP 20170221 15 00 52 Pro
WP 20170221 15 01 03 Pro
WP 20170221 15 01 19 Pro
WP 20170307 10 43 35 Pro
WP 20170307 10 43 47 Pro
WP 20170307 10 44 07 Pro

Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That would definitely leave you with a sick feeling.
A few trips thru the woods on tight trails and it will all be a distant memory.

Deer-hunter

Deer-hunter

Feb 19, 2016
Effie,Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You might try to use a headlight restore kit. I have not tried it on colored panels but it works very well on plexiglass. Don't see why it wouldn't work on the colored panels. You rig does look good though.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just a quick heads up on trailering covers..........

I bought the Honda storage cover for my new P1000-5 thinking it would be fine for a five hour trip from the dealership back to my house. The dealer told me the cover was made for trailering. It looked pretty light to me when I opened the box. As soon as the speeds got above about 35mph the cover inflated like a balloon. The bottom snap would open from the billowing and the zipper would start to undo. The cover Honda sells right now is not a trailering cover.

I then decided a heavy duty tarp would be a better bet and picked one up at the local hardware store. My son and I tarped the entire machine and used 1/4" cord to lace the grommets under the machine. The tarp was drum tight and extremely secure with rope and compression straps. I got home later that day after five hours of trailering at 60-65mph and the tarp had not shifted an inch.

When I took the tarp off the machine I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The very slight movement back and forth throughout the whole trip acted like sandpaper on my brand new Pioneer. The plastic was dulled and scratched on every sharp corner. The hood took the brunt of the damage and had discoloured from the Honda red colour to a pink colour on the leading edge.

I bought a couple different compounds of plastic polish and was able to bring it back close to original with a ton of elbow grease. The deeper scratches still wouldn't come out. If the machine wasn't brand new without a mile on it I wouldn't have cared. I was hoping to put the first scratches on it
myself :)

Hopefully Honda will come up with a good solution that doesn't hurt this thing for long distances. An enclosed trailer of any kind is definitely the way to go if you have the $$$ and the storage at home.

Here are a couple shots after I washed it down and polished the panels. The scratches you can see in the hood plastic below were also on the leading edge of the roof and doors. The tarp was a brand new, good quality storage tarp that went straight from the package onto the Pioneer. I made sure to wash off all of the road salt and gravel from towing in the snow.

View attachment 38102 View attachment 38103 View attachment 38104 View attachment 38105 View attachment 38106 View attachment 38107 View attachment 38108 View attachment 38109

You are aware that there is two covers available from Honda currently right? The storage cover and the towable storage cover? If you just purchased this rig, I would see your dealer about replacing those panels if they told you to use the regular storage cover....sounds like you were misinformed.

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You might try to use a headlight restore kit. I have not tried it on colored panels but it works very well on plexiglass. Don't see why it wouldn't work on the colored panels. You rig does look good though.

Thanks for the tips and the compliment on the rig. I got it polished up pretty good after a lot of trial and error with different compounds. The deep scratches are there but at least the shine is back. Like you guys said after the first real trip it doesn't matter anymore :)

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You are aware that there is two covers available from Honda currently right? The storage cover and the towable storage cover? If you just purchased this rig, I would see your dealer about replacing those panels if they told you to use the regular storage cover....sounds like you were misinformed.

I could only find two covers for the P700. The dealer was the one that said this was it for the P1000? I'll take a look on the Honda website for the travel cover today. I'm finally happy with the panels now after 6+ hours of work cutting and polishing them back up with different compounds. It was sure tough pulling the tarp off and seeing the scratches when I first got the machine home. Thanks for the suggestions and advice on the cover

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just checked the Honda website and they don't carry a trailer cover for the P1000-5 unless I'm blind..........which is a very good possibility :) I only see a storage cover, part number 0SP34-HL4-100. This is what my dealer sold me. The P700-4 has a trailer and storage cover listed on the Honda website.

Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just checked the Honda website and they don't carry a trailer cover for the P1000-5 unless I'm blind..........which is a very good possibility :) I only see a storage cover, part number 0SP34-HL4-100. This is what my dealer sold me. The P700-4 has a trailer and storage cover listed on the Honda website.

I've come up with same results.
We have a lot of custom boat cover shops here. I going to price one thru them.
I'll post my findings.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!