Pioneer Fuel mileage

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Now that some have had there Pioneer's for awhile ,what sort of fuel mileage are you getting. I'am kinda curious as to what most get out of there Pioneer's.Right now mine isn't as good as what I was hoping but in all fairness any rides we have been on have been cold and snow covered roads etc: Yesterday we put on 70 miles [120 klms] on and when I drove it into the shop it only had 1 bar left.The Mid size Ranger was sitting at 1/2 a tank .We did get stuck a couple of times and of course some of the back roads we travelled on were in bad shape.Here's a couple pics of the roads.

Attachments

• winter ride 2014 003 (Small).jpg
    winter ride 2014 003 (Small).jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 2,694
  • winter ride 2014 001 (Small).jpg
    winter ride 2014 001 (Small).jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 2,674
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I seem to get around 20-25 miles per bar on average.

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
^^^^^ that sounds right.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
went out in a big snow storm the other day we went 27 miles on a tank of gas( low fuel light on). we were braking trail in 8 inches of very heavy snow. my buddy drove half of the night and wanted to see how fast it could do while braking trail. in fact until I told him to stop he was going of trail trying to go though a foot of snow so the night was spent wide open. I don't think it would be possible to get less mileage. the bike did grate. real mileage number will be when all of this dam snow melts and we can do some real riding.
I am going up north and riding on the groomed trails this week end I will see what we get and let you guys know. my guess will be 10 mpg in the summer.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
spifyd said:
real mileage number will be when all of this dam snow melts and we can do some real riding.
my guess will be 10 mpg in the summer.
If that's all that there going to get that's going to be a big problem. Honda's going to have to step up and make them get better mileage. That's going to be a downfall of the Pioneer. We've been riding with 2 Polaris side x side's for the last couple years and the mileage has been in the summer at least 25 MPG so if the Pioneer only gets 10 MPG there's something wrong ???. I bought the Pioneer to get rid of the mantenace issue's with the Polaris's but if the mileage is that poor on them that's a big issue? Anyway once better riding conditions are upon us we'll hopefully see what actual mileage the Pioneer can get. I'am Hoping for the best. Otherwise that's going to be a big disappointment, the cost of fuel sure adds up quickly and puts a sore taste in a person's mouth when you know that the machine should be capable of better fuel economy. If they can get a car to get 60 mpg nowadays there should be no reason for Honda to not have these small lighter machines get at least 30 mpg. Done Ranting. :lol:

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had mine since 9/14/2013 and I keep anal retentive info and receipts on all my equipment/cars...there actually is an app for that.

Crawling <10-15 mph max summer 80-100F I'm getting about 13mpg/1.6hrs to the gallon mix of 2wd/4wd/4lock.

Pulling trees and/or carrying a 500lb sprayer 4-7 mph summer/fall/winter 20-100F in 4wd/4lock I get about 10mpg/1hrs to gallon.

On the road carrying 4 people (avg 150lbs each, mix of guys/gals) in 4Lock(covered in ice at 20f outdoor temp) running 30mph I get 16mpg/2.2hrs per gallon. That is with a roof and no windshield.

I am at about 600'-1200' above sea level.

Feel free to make your assumptions based off of that info. I have put about 500miles on it since September. I fill it at the same pump the same way every time so as to get an accurate full fill.

I will say that most times I rarely leave 1st gear, almost never hit 3rd because I am not going that fast. The last line of 30mph road run was (7) 10 mile round trips on a rolling road with 4 people in it on rough ice and a covering of snow at 30, I hit 3rd

Reactions: bobbyhill
slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
This is what I did today , I went into town yesterday and put $30 into the 5 gal gas can. After getting home I filled the Ranger up and set the can on the floor. I measured 5 1/4" of gas left in the can. I then dumped the rest of the gas into a different gas can. Today I went into town and put $30 into the gas can,came home and poured the can into the Pioneer. After setting the can on the floor I measured 3 1/4" of gas left in the can. So the Pioneer used approx 3/4 gal more then the Ranger.The part that gets me is that the Ranger was always ahead of me breaking trail [my young son drives way harder then I do] and still the pioneer used more gas. I can say that I only have 420 miles on the Pioneer as of today and the Ranger has over 8000 we've had it 2 yrs 2 months it was new when bought at Christmas 2011.So as you can see we do put a few miles on in a year. Anyway maybe it's getting better mileage due to have Radial 26" tires[ Kenda Bearclaws ].Guess once we actually start doing our long rides and the Pioneer gets a few more miles on it hopefully it will become better on gas. At $5.25 a gallon it adds up pretty quick.Maybe I'll have to put 26" Radial's on as well. I'll gain some grd clearance if I do. :D

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
$5.25 a gallon!?!?!?!? Please tell me that is high octane race fuel!

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
ohanacreek said:
$5.25 a gallon!?!?!?!? Please tell me that is high octane race fuel!
No that's Regular gas. out here and right now it's a bit lower then what it is in the summer. So now you know why I'am upset with the mileage of the Pioneer.

advertisement
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah would irk me a lot too. Thing is as hard as I push mine, I would be spending the difference if not more on belts.

B

Bork

Feb 8, 2014
On my first tank I only got 74 miles
On it before low fuel popped up . That is
doing mainly dry pasture riding in louisiana .
Hope it gets better !!

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Don't get me wrong I'am glad to have replaced the Polaris with the Honda Pioneer. I also would rather pay a bit more for the gas compared to always spending on repairs on the Polaris.So far I've been enjoying the Pioneer big time.Won't be long and the riding season will be here and things will be good to go.

T

talon1979

Feb 26, 2014
Eagle Mountain, Utah
Because of this thread I calculated the fuel mileage on my Pioneer. It got 19.x mpg. My machine only has 100 or so miles on it. I mainly drive on trails around my house and most of my driving is in 2wd.

G

graybear

Nov 20, 2013
East Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I took a long ride of 150 miles on mostly higher speed trails of 30 mph plus. I added my 2 gallons of carry along gas and barely made it back home. I figured up my mileage after buying gas at a station and I got around 18 mpg. The reserve on the pioneers is around 2.5 gallons by my best guess.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!