PIONEER/TALON SE

H

HondaTech

Anybody getting an SE, please make sure and go over it with a fine tooth comb. Especially the accessory installs.

Our first (and only) SE Pioneer is a shameful mess. Loose wiring, poorly secured lightbar wiring, incorrectly routed wiring, etc.

So go over it with the dealer or look it over good when you get it home.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anybody getting an SE, please make sure and go over it with a fine tooth comb. Especially the accessory installs.

Our first (and only) SE Pioneer is a shameful mess. Loose wiring, poorly secured lightbar wiring, incorrectly routed wiring, etc.

So go over it with the dealer or look it over good when you get it home.
That is a crying ass shame! Don't say much for that SC factory.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So far, on my 1000-5 SE, I've found the following.

Windshield would only open a few inches - upper mounting brackets needed to be rotated to move attach points forwards.

Missing plastic fastener under seat.

Door color panel mounting screws way overtightened.

Front seat back, center mounting bolt missing - found wedged below.

2" length of broken off round rat tail file between seat and seat back.

Aux relay and fuse box mounted above Aux battery compartment on a metal bracket and intruding into space needed for battery - will have to be moved to add aux battery there.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And no pictures

Not a lot to look at. The black box (center) is a fuse and relay box for aux devices such as light bar, heater , windshield wiper etc. They mounted it so the bottom extends down into the aux bat compartment below - frustrating, but moveable.

AelW36CwAc 94lex8v EHcZIDT2mss1346 noauthuser0

H

HondaTech

Windshield would only open a few inches - upper mounting brackets needed to be rotated to move attach points forwards.

Aux relay and fuse box mounted above Aux battery compartment on a metal bracket and intruding into space needed for battery - will have to be moved to add aux battery there.

The Aux. fuse box has to mounted there because the winch contactor is mounted where it would go without a winch.

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

There isn't an auxiliary battery space, a custom windshield wiper fluid tank fits into the cavity for the power windshield wiper kit.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There isn't an auxiliary battery space, a custom windshield wiper fluid tank fits into the cavity for the power windshield wiper kit.

Well, let's see . . . Honda sells the SE with a polycarbonate windshield as standard (glass is not offered as an option). You can't use a windshield wiper/washer on the plastic windshield without scratching it all up. So while they may provide "that space" for a washer fluid tank, as you say, I'm thinking it is better purposed for an AUX battery as the space has been used on previous P1000's.

The fuse/relay box could easily be mounted higher or more to the rear - there's room for either, and fortunately they provided enough wire in the harness so it can be relocated to either spot. For now I've mounted it on top of the AUX battery* as there's room there too.

I used a nylon tie down strap, hot melt glued to the sides of the battery well, to secure the battery. I left the strap end long, for now, in case I decide to put some rubber sheet on top of the battery and secure that box there.

advertisement
H

HondaTech

Only the Talon has a wiper fluid bottle, the Pioneer wiper kit doesn't include a washer function.

Reactions: bumperm
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Only the Talon has a wiper fluid bottle, the Pioneer wiper kit doesn't include a washer function.
When they offered the all weather package or kit back in 2016 that cavity was engineered for a washer tank.

Screenshot 20210712 085517 Chrome

Now maybe Honda doesn't sell one with that currently. But the man's name on the design patent said that's what it's for back in fall of 2015. Guess for $300 that $10 plastic tank was too much for them to include.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If they had included that $10 plastic tank, it would have been of no use for most, save for those few with both glass windshield and wipers. That's okay though, due to happy coincidence the "windshield washer cavity" is an exact fit for an aux battery.

L

Lt shiny sides

Jun 21, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You guys are making me nervous about getting the Pioneer SE. For over 26k out the door, I'm expecting high quality and everything to be installed properly. I have a deposit down on one in SE Michigan and they think it will be here sometime in July... maybe I should be cancelling this order - get my deposit back and wait till next year? Not in a huge hurry but I do eventually want one of these.

H

HondaTech

You guys are making me nervous about getting the Pioneer SE. For over 26k out the door, I'm expecting high quality and everything to be installed properly. I have a deposit down on one in SE Michigan and they think it will be here sometime in July... maybe I should be cancelling this order - get my deposit back and wait till next year? Not in a huge hurry but I do eventually want one of these.

Waiting wont matter, this s*** has been going on since the Pioneer was introduced.

Just make sure your dealer fixes it before you take it home.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yup, it's not the engineered quality or the parts assembled off-shore. Sadly it's the labor quality here in the USA.
Just did my first service on my -5 SE, found two of the skid plate aluminum centering/spacer washers are the too thick, so the larger plastic and cup washer won't cinch up snug. Not a big deal, I'll replace them with regular washers until I get a chance to make new ones on the lathe.

When I found the thicker spacers (about 3/8" vs 1/4" ? - I didn't measure), I thought maybe they were required on a couple of the mounting points, so I pulled all the other fasteners one-by-one. Couldn't find a mount that wanted the thicker ones. Just another one of the many little goofs I've run into.

I used the recommended Honda oil for the engine/DCT, Mobil 1 4T 10-40 (it's what I had on hand) in the sub-trans, and Mobil 1 75-140 in both front and rear diffs.

Overall, maybe it's 'cause I'm getting up there in age and just slowin' down some, but this machine is a heck of a lot more fiddly to work on than any Honda I've owned previously. It is fun though!

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Yup, it's not the engineered quality or the parts assembled off-shore. Sadly it's the labor quality here in the USA.
Just did my first service on my -5 SE, found two of the skid plate aluminum centering/spacer washers are the too thick, so the larger plastic and cup washer won't cinch up snug. Not a big deal, I'll replace them with regular washers until I get a chance to make new ones on the lathe.

When I found the thicker spacers (about 3/8" vs 1/4" ? - I didn't measure), I thought maybe they were required on a couple of the mounting points, so I pulled all the other fasteners one-by-one. Couldn't find a mount that wanted the thicker ones. Just another one of the many little goofs I've run into.

I used the recommended Honda oil for the engine/DCT, Mobil 1 4T 10-40 (it's what I had on hand) in the sub-trans, and Mobil 1 75-140 in both front and rear diffs.

Overall, maybe it's 'cause I'm getting up there in age and just slowin' down some, but this machine is a heck of a lot more fiddly to work on than any Honda I've owned previously. It is fun though!
Did you compare spacers to parts fiche? There is 3 different spacers and 2 identical collars. Parts 1, 5, 6, 7 ,& 8. Even my 2018 LE with same aluminum skids came with a few different spacers as did the FUTV UHMW skids I replaced those OEM beer cans with.

My guess is they didn't use the 10mm longer bolts where they should have with the spacers.

Screenshot 20211209 080051 Chrome

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!